Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 05:37 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
No one is going to pinpoint the exact dates, not even those who make the best guesses. You can do the research yourself. Study up of the characteristics of a real estate cycle and look at the data both nationally and in your market. It's not that hard to see where we are at the present moment in the cycle and generally what happens after, but I wouldn't try to time it out as to exactly where the next steps will land, just what the next steps are. I just say we are nearing the peak, meaning within a couple years. But not a bubble, just a regular cycle.

If you want to time the market to be a certain point past the peak, then you have to actually wait for signs that it already happened. Rising foreclosure, rising inventory, rising days on market, lowering prices, lower sales volume.

My only prediction is peak of market is within the next 2 years. Bottom will be 5-7 years later. Just guesses based on the past and current markets.
The Integrity Crowd won't settle for that vagueness.
They believe that I have to pinpoint the curves and dissuade clients, without offering any guidance themselves regarding parameters of unacceptable risks or potential opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 05:51 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
Here in NJ our home sold new in 2004 for $350k. In 2008 it sold for $520k. We purchased it last year for $400k. Even if the house had just kept up with inflation since 2004 it SHOULD be worth over $450k. So here in NJ at least we are far from a bubble.
if the area population, employment, and income kept pace, then why wouldn't home prices as well?

there's not a place in America that experienced a "bubble" ( a steep runup in prices followed by a similarly sharp decline) where the prices of homes declined to a bottom for 5-7 years

Old 12-03-2016, 06:17 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,743,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if the area population, employment, and income kept pace, then why wouldn't home prices as well?

there's not a place in America that experienced a "bubble" ( a steep runup in prices followed by a similarly sharp decline) where the prices of homes declined to a bottom for 5-7 years

he's comparing today to 2004. there were interest only low doc/no doc loans in 2004 and lots of speculation. people doing loans that would have to be refinanced in 5 years after their rates increased, then they couldn't.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:43 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Phoenix?

Obviously no one can really "confirm" a bubble/peak until after it happens. I think a better title for the OP is "if your realtor thinks there is a bubble (or maybe just peak if you don't want to use the b-word), will they tell you if you ask for their opinion?"

Old 12-03-2016, 07:11 PM

I'm not sure if we even fully corrected from the last bubble. Yeah, I know prices peaked and fell a lot and have gone up from there for a few years.

But look at the historical inflation adjusted housing price chart. For those not familiar, it tracks similar size and quality house prices for comparison over 100 years. For 50 years, from about 1950 to 2000, prices kept to a range of 115 to 145. You can see the bottom of the real estate bubble in 2012, is at about the same point as the prices when previous cycles peaked between 1950-2000.

Case Shiller Home Price Index

You can give a rough average of prices for 50 years at 135 on the index. But if you assume the real estate bubble fully deflated and the market is normal, then the new normal housing index is 175. This housing indexed is based on 100 as normal. But lets just go with post 1950.

So from 2000 - 2016, normal housing prices for similar houses on the index are about 30% more than between 1950 and 2000. Why is that?

Some guesses, very low interest rates for many years. Population growth?

Old 12-04-2016, 08:46 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Data are your friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
^^^ your chart shows about the same bottom in 2009. But that lumps together all residential (apartment buildings, condos and single family) I think that apartment building construction already peaked. I bet that single family starts will increase more and apartment building construction will fall over the next couple years.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:19 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
it all depends how bubbles are defined . i like the more refined definition of a bubble as the point where interest rates and returns on assets have such a wide spread that investors just borrow money6 like there is no tomorrow and dump it in to rapidily appreciating assets .

to be honest most areas have very low demand for money and that is the problem, bank reserves are way to high and demand for loans pretty low .

investors shunned stocks in 1982 because p/e's doubled . it was a bubble they yelled , stay away .

well it turned out that was a big mistake . that was the start of the biggest bull market in history . the big factor was interest rates falling .

Old 12-04-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it all depends how bubbles are defined . i like the more refined definition of a bubble as the point where interest rates and returns on assets have such a wide spread that investors just borrow money6 like there is no tomorrow and dump it in to rapidily appreciating assets .

to be honest most areas have very low demand for money and that is the problem, bank reserves are way to high and demand for loans pretty low .

investors shunned stocks in 1982 because p/e's doubled . it was a bubble they yelled , stay away .

well it turned out that was a big mistake . that was the start of the biggest bull market in history . the big factor was interest rates falling .

There were no down interest only ARMS during the bubble. Prices were appreciating in the double digits in the coastal markets. So that is definitely a wide spread between interest rates and returns. Basically large appreciation on large amounts of no cost loans. No actual investment even. Only problem is real estate isn't very liquid. And leverage is a big problem when there are losses. No problem though, when you can just walk away.

I know interest rates are low today. How does that apply to this market, regarding investors? I think investors have started to move away from real estate since about a year ago. I haven't done the research yet, but I've read the REITs bought up a lot of the foreclosures. How are they performing now? Will the trusts be dumping their holdings? Or what happens with these trust as real estate prices stagnate and fall? Can the hold on?

Old 12-04-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Ok, thanks. Then it's multi unit starts down and single family rising.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:45 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,822 times
Really? They sell houses to put food on the table. You think they are going to tell you if we are headed toward a bubble? Do you trust the guy at the used car lot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate