Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 04:42 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,030,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
You will be priced too closely with the house down the street that has been on the market evidently for 6 months, or more. Without even seeing yours inside and out, if it were my listing, I'd suggest $209K and hope for a good offer. (The other house may drop their price again when yours comes on, and most likely will not sell for full price.)

There are 3 reasons that homes sell or don't sell:

Price / Condition / Location
It was put on the market mid August. They listed it way too high at the start. Based on comps over the last 6 months it should sell for $220k.

I was told by 4 different agents that $215k is what mine would sell for prior to paint and carpet. So I am hoping to get $219k to cover the cost of those items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 06:12 AM

21,880 posts, read 12,930,704 times
Did I ever get an answer as to how to keep a vacant house insured beyond a few weeks? I don't think I did!

Old 10-10-2016, 06:24 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
It was put on the market mid August. They listed it way too high at the start. Based on comps over the last 6 months it should sell for $220k.

I was told by 4 different agents that $215k is what mine would sell for prior to paint and carpet. So I am hoping to get $219k to cover the cost of those items.

Don't forget, you have your carrying costs each month, from the time you sign the listing agreement, until the day of the closing, you don't get your check until the deed is recorded. Let us know the outcome, otherwise this subject is moot.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Don't forget, you have your carrying costs each month, from the time you sign the listing agreement, until the day of the closing, you don't get your check until the deed is recorded. Let us know the outcome, otherwise this subject is moot.
I am well aware that I have a mortgage to pay until a settlement happen. Not sure about your state, but in mine you receive a check at the time of closing. The deed may not be recorded for 6-7 weeks after settlement.

I still would like to sell for fmv.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:32 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,573,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
It does sound like that flipper went overboard on the gray. But when you sell a house, you're (usually) competing with new construction, with its model homes that have been professionally decorated and all have the latest trends. I bought my house earlier this year and I got kind of sick of seeing white kitchens - where all the cabinets were white, the backsplash was white, and the counters were white. (Thank goodness the appliances were not white.) To me, that looks sterile and institutional. I personally prefer wood-colored cabinets (or gray wood), even though it's not "in" right now. But it will come back. Everything always does.

Decorate not for trends but for what looks nice. That will never change. I think a combination of gray with some beige looks very nice and can be made to work with any style of decor.

White is very hard to do right. White walls generally look terrible. It makes a huge difference when color is added to the walls, and artwork pops so nicely against it.

People might not object to white and tan, but it won't excite them or make them want to buy that house right now, either.
I love white. It's been a classic home decorating color for centuries. It goes with any style (contemporary, mid-century, cottage, ranch, colonial, greek, etc.). It's easy to decorate with secondary colors for punch (drapes, accessories, rugs, lamp shades).

A white kitchen that is all white (in style a couple of decades ago) can be stark. But it's easy to warm it up with accessories. You can turn it into an Italian cafe' look (white, red, green), a seashore look (white, aqua), contemporary (white, black or white, dark gray), a soft look (white, pale green), classic (white, brown or tan), or farmhouse. There are few all white kitchens these days. I drool when I see one. Esp if it's white ceramic tile.

I don't think gray should be in kitchens, or blue, for the reason that...there is no blue or gray food, so it's unappetizing. That's why restaurants are red or green or earthy colors. The color of food. (red makes you eat more, I've read, which is why a lot of restaurants incorporate that color)

White walls are also easy to paint over, unlike red or yellow or dark colors.

Gray is also more of a contemporary color, when it's a main color. So if the house is cottage-y or whatever, it doesn't seem to work well. But gray seems to go well in modern style houses.

But some people, like myself, are particular about colors. So what I look for is...how expensive would it be to change the color of that? Painted walls are easy. Floor tiles would be too expensive. Gray in floor tiles is such a large expanse that it makes gray a major color in the color scheme, so it would HAVE to be changed, for me, since gray is not a color in any color scheme I would choose.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:06 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,718,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I love white. It's been a classic home decorating color for centuries. It goes with any style (contemporary, mid-century, cottage, ranch, colonial, greek, etc.). It's easy to decorate with secondary colors for punch (drapes, accessories, rugs, lamp shades).

A white kitchen that is all white (in style a couple of decades ago) can be stark. But it's easy to warm it up with accessories. You can turn it into an Italian cafe' look (white, red, green), a seashore look (white, aqua), contemporary (white, black or white, dark gray), a soft look (white, pale green), classic (white, brown or tan), or farmhouse. There are few all white kitchens these days. I drool when I see one. Esp if it's white ceramic tile.

I don't think gray should be in kitchens, or blue, for the reason that...there is no blue or gray food, so it's unappetizing. That's why restaurants are red or green or earthy colors. The color of food. (red makes you eat more, I've read, which is why a lot of restaurants incorporate that color)

White walls are also easy to paint over, unlike red or yellow or dark colors.

Gray is also more of a contemporary color, when it's a main color. So if the house is cottage-y or whatever, it doesn't seem to work well. But gray seems to go well in modern style houses.

But some people, like myself, are particular about colors. So what I look for is...how expensive would it be to change the color of that? Painted walls are easy. Floor tiles would be too expensive. Gray in floor tiles is such a large expanse that it makes gray a major color in the color scheme, so it would HAVE to be changed, for me, since gray is not a color in any color scheme I would choose.
A lot of people think that it looks great, but it actually is horrible. Paint makes a HUGE difference, and that's one of the things decorators say - paint is the least expensive way to transform a room. White can be used well, but it is very tough to do right.

I don't love white, or gray or blue in kitchens, either, even though I love gray and blue and have them in many other rooms. I painted my previous kitchen a purplish-gray-brown - it kind of looked like the color of deep chocolate milk with a purple tinge, and it looked great. It also looked good with my wood cabinets. I think you can never go wrong with natural wood colors - they really warm up a kitchen and will go with any color. Most of the white cabinets look cheap to me, even though they are the same price as the wood color.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:07 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I am well aware that I have a mortgage to pay until a settlement happen. Not sure about your state, but in mine you receive a check at the time of closing. The deed may not be recorded for 6-7 weeks after settlement.

I still would like to sell for fmv.

That must be the State of Denial. That is a lot of time for something to show up in the final title search.

Best of luck, you've asked for opinions on your situation; but are unwilling to listen to professionals who are offering you good advice. Your agent has my sympathy. Toot a loo ...

Old 10-12-2016, 02:25 AM

75 posts, read 60,046 times
You can make a professional video walkthrough. It is a very powerful selling tool. If the video is done properly, it could resell the home to the buyers every time they watch it. After looking at many properties applicants revisit their potential homes online.

Also, ask you realtor where he put the advertisement and suggest him to promote listings in more places.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:40 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Did I ever get an answer as to how to keep a vacant house insured beyond a few weeks? I don't think I did!
We just called USAA and got vacant and unoccupied insurance. We had it for several months until closing.

Google lists all sorts of insurance companies that offer it.

https://www.farmers.com/home/vacant-homes/

Vacant Property Insurance | Insurance Quotes | Online Insurance Quotes | UsInsuranceOnline.com

https://www.foremost.com/products/vacant-home/

Old 10-13-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
That must be the State of Denial. That is a lot of time for something to show up in the final title search.

Best of luck, you've asked for opinions on your situation; but are unwilling to listen to professionals who are offering you good advice. Your agent has my sympathy. Toot a loo ...
I apologize. How many houses have you bought or sold in my state? I have bought 6 and sold 4. Makes me a little more clear in the chain of events in my state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate