Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 06:43 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,870,460 times

Advertisements

Did you not sign an extension to the contract? I often have buyers switch lenders but there has to be an addendum if contract terms are not being met.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 07:03 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
So, OP, you no longer want to sell?
Or, you have another buyer and maybe a sweeter deal? A buyer who will close quicker and help you avoid making another payment?

Nothing you relate would make a motivated seller kick a deal away. It would seem that there is something else going on you haven't related.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:30 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Your contract will tell you whether you "have recourse or just have to suck it up."

You need to use your listing agent to determine the likelihood the Buyer will be able to close faster than any other offer could close.

If either the appraisal date or the closing date are to be amended, are you able to gain additional monetary assurance (higher earnest money, any non-refundable deposits, etc) that by accommodating this Buyer your risk is abated as much as possible?

Since your location says Phoenix and you mention Maine, can we assume you're selling remotely, and how long has the house been for sale?

Old 10-06-2016, 11:28 AM

105 posts, read 286,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Something is off. They thought you could promise they would never get mold in their home they maintained.

Find out why they switched lenders. Could be they couldn't get a loan. Then you wouldn't want to wait till they hunted and pecked through more lenders hoping finally some other lender will take care of their needs in the mythical way they see fit.

They just may not be reasonable.
His employer offers a credit union. That is my understanding of why they switched. Perhaps the credit union is offering a better rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Did you not sign an extension to the contract? I often have buyers switch lenders but there has to be an addendum if contract terms are not being met.
No extension. We were not even notified that this was an issue until our realtor called theirs to check on the status of the appraisal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
So, OP, you no longer want to sell?
Or, you have another buyer and maybe a sweeter deal? A buyer who will close quicker and help you avoid making another payment?

Nothing you relate would make a motivated seller kick a deal away. It would seem that there is something else going on you haven't related.
We do still want to sell. The other buyer doesn't offer a quicker close as they still need to sell their house. We aren't going end the contract at this time, as we don't want to start the process from the beginning with another buyer. We do realize that these buyers are still the quickest sell we have. I'm just so irritated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Your contract will tell you whether you "have recourse or just have to suck it up."

You need to use your listing agent to determine the likelihood the Buyer will be able to close faster than any other offer could close.

If either the appraisal date or the closing date are to be amended, are you able to gain additional monetary assurance (higher earnest money, any non-refundable deposits, etc) that by accommodating this Buyer your risk is abated as much as possible?

Since your location says Phoenix and you mention Maine, can we assume you're selling remotely, and how long has the house been for sale?
They are in breach of the contract due to not meeting the appraisal deadline. So I guess I have answered my own question. Cancel the contract, start from the beginning with a new buyer, or deal with the delayed closing.

Yes, we are selling remotely. The house has now been on the market for about 3 months, but been under contract for about a month of that time.

I am mostly just frustrated with these buyers because of the entire situation - if they would have negotiated with us once finding the mold we would have been closed on the house by now, and now they want even more time.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:20 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
AZ does not use real estate attorneys. Trust company and Realtors.
One can still speak with a real estate attorney.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:31 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
One can still speak with a real estate attorney.
That would be so costly as to negate the savings of a mortgage payment, or two. Better off just to close a month later than pay a real estate attorney.

If one uses a r.e. attorney, best to get one early in the game for a flat fee to review the contract and a certain # of hours for any issues that may come up, review addenda, etc.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:36 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
That would be so costly as to negate the savings of a mortgage payment, or two. Better off just to close a month later than pay a real estate attorney.

If one uses a r.e. attorney, best to get one early in the game for a flat fee to review the contract and a certain # of hours for any issues that may come up, review addenda, etc.
How do you figure the cost would be a mortgage payment or two? Attorneys charge by the hour. This wouldn't take 10 hours to read the contract and advise. In many states, real estate attorneys charge a flat fee for a house sale/purchase.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:42 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
It does get frustrating and unfortunately when you accept an offer contingent upon financing you have resigned yourself to go along for the ride subject to the contract terms.

The second home I ever bought was a real bargain... the poor sellers were half way across the country and were in and out of Escrow almost 5 months because the buyer was using a special first time buyer program sponsored by the city... when everything was ready the city ran out of funds... but said they hope to be able in 90 days to proceed...

I offered 25% less than list, all cash and As-Is with a 10-day close... the seller accepted and the buyer dependent on the first time buyer program was furious... even got a lawyer but there wasn't anything they could do.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:17 PM

525 posts, read 660,541 times
I fully realize that contracts and customs vary from state to state, but so what if they've missed their appraisal deadline? Isn't the end game the closing date? If they have not yet missed that, then you haven't actually lost any time yet, have you?

I do wish people would be more forthcoming about these types of decisions, we've had a few threads from one buyer who decided to make some changes based on his own life issues, and didn't bother to update seller and is now suffering consequences financially.

I guess I'd ask if they have a full pre-approval from this new lender. If they do, can the new lender meet the previous contract closing deadline? If not, then contract re-negotiations are in order. And the ball is in your court. Demand a new contract with fees for delays.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:24 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
AZ does not use real estate attorneys. Trust company and Realtors.

AZ may not use an attorney to do the closing, the title co. will do that. Several states work that way. If I were his listing agent, I would suggest he consult an attorney for advice as to what is best for his situation.

The Realtor should suggest that rather than get into a sticky wicket with the seller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate