Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2016, 03:33 AM

3 posts, read 1,832 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I have been wanting to learn real estate management for some time, and I was originally planning to go to school (for an longer period of time) in order to receive a degree in real estate management. I am currently going to college to study business management and marketing , and I personally feel as if going to school for real estate management isn't necessary, since a college degree isn't required to manage properties (along with the cost of attaining a degree in such).

Questions:

First of all, would studying real estate management on my own be better as opposed to going to school for it?

I've been wanting to purchase some books, in order to teach myself the material necessary for r.e., and was wondering if anyone had suggestions?

Would any of you have other suggestions for studying r.e. that you've personally found helpful? I would really appreciate anything!

--------------------------------------------------
I know a lot of my questions could be answered by searching them up on Google, but I've never asked for any assistance/suggestions on forums, and believe that it'd be better if I got a perspective on everyone else's experiences with learning real estate management. Thank you for any responses in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 08:37 AM

4,566 posts, read 10,654,191 times
Depends on how high your goals are.

If your happy with managing some average, or low end rentals for people no degree is needed. These units will likely have tons of problems, people with problems, and stress for you.

If you want to work for a successful mgmt company with a nice salary, benefits, resources, etc. you will not get the job without a degree. They wont even look at you. They only hire the best and brightest, which is why they are successful.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Depends on how high your goals are.

If your happy with managing some average, or low end rentals for people no degree is needed. These units will likely have tons of problems, people with problems, and stress for you.

If you want to work for a successful mgmt company with a nice salary, benefits, resources, etc. you will not get the job without a degree. They wont even look at you. They only hire the best and brightest, which is why they are successful.
I wouldn't mind the stress that goes along with managing properties, my personal "end-goal" is to own some form of business, which will either be a real estate firm, or a hotel-chain. I do understand that there are many risks involved with running such things, but I would probably try to secure some other profession before going off to start my own business (as a safety-net).

The reason why I'm studying for business management is so I will able to manage a business efficiently (along with people), and would hopefully be able to apply my knowledge onto any business that I start. Based off of my understanding, it is possible to hire people to collect rents for you, along with accomplishing other tasks related to certain properties. I also know that hiring people for doing said things would shorten my profit-margins, but I wouldn't mind hiring individuals, especially if I find it more efficient to have others managing things for me, as this would save me time and allow me to expand the amount of properties that I would be able to manage on my own.

So that's pretty much my current position in regards to what my goals are, and what I'm willing to do. Thanks for the info. regarding mgmt companies, I will keep that in mind!

Old 10-09-2016, 12:00 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
If I were you, I'd target potential employers and find out what they look for in new hires. Look very carefully and key skills and knowledge they're looking for and then go get it---whether that be a class or getting a specific degree or reading a book.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
If I were you, I'd target potential employers and find out what they look for in new hires. Look very carefully and key skills and knowledge they're looking for and then go get it---whether that be a class or getting a specific degree or reading a book.
Thank you for the advice, I'll try it out soon!

Old 10-11-2016, 07:25 PM

4,566 posts, read 10,654,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan C View Post
Based off of my understanding, it is possible to hire people to collect rents for you, along with accomplishing other tasks related to certain properties. I also know that hiring people for doing said things would shorten my profit-margins
Your looking far down the road..... to begin, you will do it all. Everything. You will have no money to hire anyone. Its the pain of starting out for the first time.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:42 AM

75 posts, read 60,074 times
To me mind the best way to gain new knowledge in any field is to work in it. I suggest summer internships with reputable real estate firms. Over the past few years there has been a shift in the way people approach education. I’m sure during internship, you’ll be giving the list of books, that help you to understand better real estate management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate