Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 01:17 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Or are you allowed to treat the property like a home and allow anyone to visit for as long as they want, or let anyone live with you, as long as it's not a 55 and over and have those rules.
Our HOA doesn't restrict visitors, having a roommate, or significant other living with you. Building code restricts the number of people living in a dwelling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 02:13 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
My community is gated and the HOA requires a pass for anyone spending the night. They consider anything past 11 p.m. as "overnight". A friend who stayed until 11:30 p.m. got one of those annoying, hard to remove stickers on her car when she visited. So not the place to live if you have a tendency toward one night stands or booty calls. :-)

About 52% of the units where I live are owned by investors who bought when the housing market crashed a few years ago and they are rented out. We just received notices that short term rentals are not allowed.

Before buying a home with an HOA I would definitely look over the rules. Some won't allow any pet over 25 pounds even if you have a single family home, some have rules that your garage door is not allowed to be open except for when you are coming or going. Just make sure you can live with the rules before you buy.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:46 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Many condo HOAs have restrictions in vacation locations to protect homeowners.

Not being able to rent to anyone at all is common here.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:20 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
Furnished rentals is a tough thing to catch. When folks move in an out with a moving truck gotcha. But folks showing up with gymbags to stay a few nights, who knows. Could be brother or sister, etc. Do it a lot busted but once in awhile who cares.
So even if the rules aren't working perfectly, they're keeping violations to a dull roar, which is probably good enough (at least as far as the impact on the other residents is concerned).

Old 10-17-2016, 05:08 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Townships / districts/counties carry residential occupancy allowance. The condo is echoing it for the "owners" of the condo.

I personally think HOA has more regulations/ restrictions then privileges. Unless you count the fact that they do let you breathe the same air as them. How kind of them.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:47 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The association has freedom of association but the individual owners do not?
All the rules are disclosed to you in writing before you buy. You agree to the rules or live elsewhere.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:38 PM

473 posts, read 520,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
AirBnB in its true form where owner is home while guest is visiting is hard to stop if only done once in a while and to folks who are similar looking to owner.

My asian female co-worker single in her 30s rents around 5-10 times a year on airbnb to other single asian females and is home at the time. Hard for condo to stop it since they allow guests and roomates and she is home at the time.
You're missing the point. (And why is her ethnicity relevant here?)

If she's home, she's probably making sure the AirBnB folks are being good neighbors. But if her guests were throwing wild parties or leaving garbage in the hallways, the condo association needs the authority to say, "Look, this isn't allowed" and crack down on it. Usually these rules get written after there have been problems and complaints. And the condo association does indeed have the means of exercising its authority if it needs/wants to get involved.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:03 PM

517 posts, read 1,092,183 times
I was going to write a response based on what I've encountered in Florida looking for a home but realized my posts in a related thread from several years ago probably cover most of what I would have to say here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/retir...den-girls.html

One thing that has changed in Florida in the last few years is that builders are building again (after low numbers of new builds during the housing crash years), but my impression is they're generally not offering (other than custom builds initiated by a homeowner) no-frills, non-HOA, smaller single-family homes, the size of, say, a modest-sized two-bedroom condo (a size of home that was built in significant numbers decades ago before condos became common).

I think the assumption is that the needs of someone who wants a place this small are already being met by condos (that people should/will just buy a condo instead of a house if they want a smaller home). But it's clear that in many ways (including, sometimes, issues to do with who the association allows to live in your condo), owning a condo is not just like owning a house, only smaller. There are both advantages and disadvantages to each form of ownership, depending on someone's needs and situation, but in some important ways they aren't at all the same.

As I've gone into more detail about on that other thread, I think reasonable restrictions are needed when people live in close proximity and with shared ownership, but the restrictions are sometimes "boilerplate" language (that is what the homeowners received from the developer, not necessarily the exact provisions they would have chosen if it were up to them to write their own documents). The intent may have been to guard against living situations that would bring down quality of life and property values, but the scope/language of some of these restrictions can also have the effect of excluding some people who would have been regarded as ideal neighbors/residents by most of the other owners in that community.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:12 AM

633 posts, read 581,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFar View Post
You're missing the point. (And why is her ethnicity relevant here?)

If she's home, she's probably making sure the AirBnB folks are being good neighbors. But if her guests were throwing wild parties or leaving garbage in the hallways, the condo association needs the authority to say, "Look, this isn't allowed" and crack down on it. Usually these rules get written after there have been problems and complaints. And the condo association does indeed have the means of exercising its authority if it needs/wants to get involved.
She could be white, black, orthodox etc. My neighbor who is Philippine for instance had an illegal two family in his old neighborhood where he also rented basement. He only rented to Philippinos as he claimed they were all family when town came snooping. If one tenant was black, the other white and he was Phillipnio he would get nailed.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:24 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
All the rules are disclosed to you in writing before you buy. You agree to the rules or live elsewhere.
so simple..........yet so many don't grasp that concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate