Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 02:00 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times

Advertisements

OK.
We are back to a saucer of warm beer in the oven to release the yeast...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 05:15 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
OK.
We are back to a saucer of warm beer in the oven to release the yeast...
Nope, there's yeast allergies as well...

Old 11-14-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
You don't understand how allergies work. Permit me to educate you, so you won't come across so callous to others who suffer from it, who could end up having trips to the ER for life threatening conditions like asthma, which 250k people die from a year.

There is the time factor of having exposure to the allergens is what is key. For example, you could have an allergy to dogs which is the pet dander. You could visit someone's home who has a dog and it may not bother your allergies immediately, but after being exposed to the allergens for a longer length of time it would then be an allergy trigger. This is why a good allergist who does skin tests for patients, will perform the tests in two visits several days apart. The first test is a smaller amount of the allergen to test the patient, and the second test is a larger amount of it to simulate being exposed to it for a longer period of time.

So someone who is allergic to dogs may not have a reaction until they are living and sleeping in the home for a day or after two weeks it develops into a serious asthma attack or whatever the reaction they have is. This can occur after a pet has been living there before the new owners move in. So even though the pet is no longer there, the dander remains which is causing the allergic reaction.

Some allergic reactions are immediate and can be life threatening to people or make them very sick such as allergies to peanuts. Cigarette smoke to asthmatics is extremely harmful. I read a story of when they use to allow smoking in jails, an inmate died from asthma being exposed to cigarette smoke.

And before anyone wants to bring up the medieval thinking that allergies are imagined or some sort of psychological condition, the skin tests the allergists perform in their offices are done without the patient even knowing what they are being tested for. Skin tests inject a small amount of each allergen under the skin and a skin reaction is measured to determine if the patient is allergic to the substances and by what degree. Some people might be allergic to sesame seeds, but it isn't life threatening for that specific patient, while the same patient can be allergic to seafood which would require immediate treatment with an EpiPen injection.
I think most people know about allergies and try to be accommodating but it's unfair/unrealistic to require/request/expect the rest of the world to totally alter their lives to the point of sanitizing their homes in the chance some random person might be allergic to what's in THEIR home.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:37 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Nope, there's yeast allergies as well...
LOL
Not to diminish the seriousness of allergies, but, in general, I have proven to myself that some folks will always find a reason to deny themselves something they claim they want.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:33 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I think most people know about allergies and try to be accommodating but it's unfair/unrealistic to require/request/expect the rest of the world to totally alter their lives to the point of sanitizing their homes in the chance some random person might be allergic to what's in THEIR home.
No one is asking them to do that. You are manufacturing a requirement or request that doesn't exist. Asking for permission to smoke in someone's home isn't unrealistic. If a buyer of a home asks the seller, "Do you keep pets in the home?" simply requires an honest answer. Then the buyer an make a determination if they want to proceed further considering the home that's for sale. You don't hide peanuts in food without disclosing it to people, because some have severe allergies. You don't mix seafood into a meal without informing people. It is called having empathy for others, and that the world isn't just about you and simply because you don't have allergies, doesn't mean they aren't real and harmful to others. It isn't reasonable for you to decide all by yourself to inflict this on others. Only those who derived some sadistic pleasure in making them sick would think otherwise. That's what is being asked. To be kind and respectful to others.

Go talk to a medical doctor who had lost patients, such as young children who have died from asthma, because the parents refused to stop smoking around the child, because those parents didn't feel it was their responsibility to be accommodating because they found it unfair/unrealistic to require/request/expect the rest of their lives to be totally altered to accommodate this one child when none of the others had a problem. Well, this one who is now dead.

I'm afraid you don't understand allergies either. They have nothing to do with germs that need sanitizing.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
No one is asking them to do that. You are manufacturing a requirement or request that doesn't exist. Asking for permission to smoke in someone's home isn't unrealistic. If a buyer of a home asks the seller, "Do you keep pets in the home?" simply requires an honest answer. Then the buyer an make a determination if they want to proceed further considering the home that's for sale. You don't hide peanuts in food without disclosing it to people, because some have severe allergies. You don't mix seafood into a meal without informing people. It is called having empathy for others, and that the world isn't just about you and simply because you don't have allergies, doesn't mean they aren't real and harmful to others. It isn't reasonable for you to decide all by yourself to inflict this on others. Only those who derived some sadistic pleasure in making them sick would think otherwise. That's what is being asked. To be kind and respectful to others.

Go talk to a medical doctor who had lost patients, such as young children who have died from asthma, because the parents refused to stop smoking around the child, because those parents didn't feel it was their responsibility to be accommodating because they found it unfair/unrealistic to require/request/expect the rest of their lives to be totally altered to accommodate this one child when none of the others had a problem. Well, this one who is now dead.

I'm afraid you don't understand allergies either. They have nothing to do with germs that need sanitizing.
I understand allergies fairly well given my wife is allergic to perfumes and tobacco smoke (severe migraine trigger). I fully understand that some allergies can be deadly so are you saying I should remove all peanut products from my home just because some random person might enter it?

Well, considering one of the prior posts said that fresh cookies shouldn't be put out in a home for sale because someone with allergies might tour the home and get sick I think my post was on point. That post suggests that everyone who has their house on the market should either put up a sign at the door stating "WARNING products containing XXX are in use, if you are allergic you need to take precautions when entering" or, those who have their house on the market should sanitize their homes in case someone who has allergies decides to look at it and then gets sick then might sue the homeowner.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:27 PM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
We ate cookies at a few of the open houses we saw. I would say we didn't buy a home because of it but it did give us extended time to interact with the sellers agent and ask more questions on the home and neighborhood. Made us further consider an offer than not.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:43 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
Now i want warm cookies.. not a house though, i have one of those. I dont have cookies though.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:40 AM

633 posts, read 581,518 times
Yes, but it was a gingerbread house.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:48 AM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen59 View Post
For those of you who would immediately walk out because you think baking cookies is manipulative: how do you know the parents didn't need to bake cookies for some school event?

Sometimes it is not about you.

This happened to me. Got called for an immediate showing and I was baking almond bars at the moment. The realtor took them out of the oven for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate