Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 11:48 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,049,195 times

Advertisements

There are silly textbook 'tricks' when it comes to selling/buying a house.

Obviously, you don't want a stinky home.
But have you ever bought a house because it smelled like fresh baked cookies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 12:17 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,872,552 times
no, but we walked out immediately once when the house reeked of dirty kitty litter...

Old 10-29-2016, 04:59 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,801,796 times
No it is clearly a ploy

Old 10-29-2016, 05:39 AM

195 posts, read 297,631 times
I would never buy a house I didn't like because of cookies, but if I was deciding what house to make an offer on, it may be one thing that would sway me. Scent memory is very strong and the same way I would remember a house for being bright or airy or cozy or comfortable I would remember it smelling wonderful. It's just another plus in the plus column.
If the house smelled badly it could be great place but I would have a bad feeling, like what if I can't get rid of that smell and it's the house itself?
Cookies don't sell a house but they can't hurt.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:46 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,286,187 times
No, and when I was looking at homes if there was any artificial scent *including baked goods* I left immediately.
Artificial scent/fragrance made me wonder what the owner was attempting to cover up.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:16 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,753,203 times
Believe it or not, it was part of the calculation on my current place. Before I became an agent and was unfamiliar with the whole "ploy" concept, my wife and I had decided to downsize but couldn't find anything we both agreed on. We were ready to settle so that was part of it but the sellers here knew how to show their home. The lights were all on, it was very neat/clean, music was playing, and they had burned a candle that smelled like cookies or pound cake....something like that...and it really helped to shape my view. It was only a small part of the overall decision-making and I can't say that it was the only thing that swayed me but it definitely contributed to the warm fuzzy feeling. More interesting to me, it was the only place out of all the places we saw, that did everything "right" and those things clearly worked on me as a buyer.

OTOH, I've since showed hundreds of homes and only a small percentage bother to do these things. I can't say that I've ever seen another buyer react positively to a property specifically because the seller had done all the "right" things. So, while I personally had a very positive reaction to it, it seems that most of the buyers I've worked with were indifferent.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:55 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,977,188 times
Once again, I am amazed at how picky people are. You're buying a used house. At least one family has used the house before to work, play, and eliminate waste. And you're going to pass on it because it might smell bad? Give me a break. Cleaning and deodorizing isn't hard, and I'n prepared to do that when I buy a home no matter what.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:08 AM

43,332 posts, read 77,188,470 times
What kind of cookies?

Old 10-29-2016, 07:33 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,133,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Once again, I am amazed at how picky people are. You're buying a used house. At least one family has used the house before to work, play, and eliminate waste. And you're going to pass on it because it might smell bad? Give me a break. Cleaning and deodorizing isn't hard, and I'n prepared to do that when I buy a home no matter what.
It's just disrespect imo. Why are you showing a house that is so dirty it smells? I'm not one to clean top to bottom everyday and wasn't when I had a condo. I've never had an odor in my home. You have to be really dirty to smell. Also, as a nonpet owner (and a pet disliker), many people don't realize how horrible pets can smell. Not their waste just their waste, their fur and bodies smell.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:50 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,801,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
It's just disrespect imo. Why are you showing a house that is so dirty it smells? I'm not one to clean top to bottom everyday and wasn't when I had a condo. I've never had an odor in my home. You have to be really dirty to smell. Also, as a nonpet owner (and a pet disliker), many people don't realize how horrible pets can smell. Not their waste just their waste, their fur and bodies smell.
It is so interesting that you had to emphasize this part "(and a pet disliker)"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate