Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 09:26 AM

167 posts, read 167,973 times

Advertisements

I've got a neighbor who is just an absolute ass and I find I'm spending a lot of time thinking of ways to **** him off but I want to keep it legal. Any help (other than the just be the bigger man speech) is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 10:55 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
How is that going to make him less of an ***?

Old 10-30-2016, 10:59 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
The problem with troublesome neighbors is that many are unstable and confrontational, some will show a gun.

Is that person a renter? If so discuss the situation with the home owner in the hope that the lease will not be renewed. Maybe even offer to toss in $ or time to clean up the place after the ass leaves.

If the person owns the place you are a renter you should find another place to live, it really isn't worth the frustration, personal security risk, to stay.

If both of you are home owners do what you can to keep away from the jerk. There is nothing to be gained and a lot to loose butting antlers. If you can't do that plan to put your house on the market and move.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:18 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Well there are laws which you will find in your state statutes. Then there are codes, which are created by cities/counties. My city has their codes online.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:58 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
The county you seem to be in has code/laws/ordinances for noise, guns, dogs, building, zoning, etc .

Maybe google your county and specific thing you want laws for.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:54 PM

I found some county ordinances but none pertain to my situation. I am wanting to install a motion detected alarm on my property that goes off at 120 decibels every time they open their front door (they sit on front porch to smoke). I imagine this would get very old, very quick.
He's been there for 2 years and we have been friendly the whole time. He found a plat drawing online and got it in his head that the fence I had professionally installed AFTER a professional survey 6 YEARS before he moved in its on his property. He verbally assaulted and threatened me with bodily harm then told me he is going to make me move my chain link fence (150 foot), 12 X 36 (yeah, it's big) outbuilding and dig up ten 30 foot tall trees. So, please don't tell me he doesn't deserve anything I can dish out...he's an ASS.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:12 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
He still has your gun so you're opening a big can of worms. Have fun, and when you get out of jail, hopefully you can tell us the story.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:25 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnam409 View Post
I found some county ordinances but none pertain to my situation. I am wanting to install a motion detected alarm on my property that goes off at 120 decibels every time they open their front door (they sit on front porch to smoke). I imagine this would get very old, very quick.
He's been there for 2 years and we have been friendly the whole time. He found a plat drawing online and got it in his head that the fence I had professionally installed AFTER a professional survey 6 YEARS before he moved in its on his property. He verbally assaulted and threatened me with bodily harm then told me he is going to make me move my chain link fence (150 foot), 12 X 36 (yeah, it's big) outbuilding and dig up ten 30 foot tall trees. So, please don't tell me he doesn't deserve anything I can dish out...he's an ASS.
Send him a copy of your professional survey done by a licensed surveyor. Then forget about it. He can't make you move your fence unless it's on his land.

It doesn't matter that the fence was installed before he moved in. It's either on someone else's land or not.

The professional survey should end the matter. After that, ignore him. Unless you think he may be right.
If he is right, it's not his fault that your fence and building are over your property line. In fact, some cities require a fence to be inside the property line a certain # of inches.

I'm not sure why you are making it a bigger deal than it is. You have proof that your fence is on your property. So you have nothing to worry about.

I would guess that making your motion detector sound a loud alarm whenever they open their door would qualify as a nuisance, which they could complain to the city about, who can cite you.

Aggravating your neighbor is a never ending battle. If you do something to irritate him, then he'll do something to retaliate. Then you'll retaliate even stronger. Then he'll retaliate even more. There's no point. It doesn't resolve anything and makes both your lives miserable.

Do you have security cameras, in case he moves or damages your property? I'd do that, so you can sue him in small claims court, if he causes you damage. But you'd have to prove it.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
He still has your gun so you're opening a big can of worms. Have fun, and when you get out of jail, hopefully you can tell us the story.
I got my gun back and id love to tell the story but mods keep deleting my posts.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Send him a copy of your professional survey done by a licensed surveyor. Then forget about it. He can't make you move your fence unless it's on his land.

It doesn't matter that the fence was installed before he moved in. It's either on someone else's land or not.

The professional survey should end the matter. After that, ignore him. Unless you think he may be right.
If he is right, it's not his fault that your fence and building are over your property line. In fact, some cities require a fence to be inside the property line a certain # of inches.

I'm not sure why you are making it a bigger deal than it is. You have proof that your fence is on your property. So you have nothing to worry about.

I would guess that making your motion detector sound a loud alarm whenever they open their door would qualify as a nuisance, which they could complain to the city about, who can cite you.

Aggravating your neighbor is a never ending battle. If you do something to irritate him, then he'll do something to retaliate. Then you'll retaliate even stronger. Then he'll retaliate even more. There's no point. It doesn't resolve anything and makes both your lives miserable.

Do you have security cameras, in case he moves or damages your property? I'd do that, so you can sue him in small claims court, if he causes you damage. But you'd have to prove it.
Unfortunately the surveyor came out and put stakes up which the fence company tied string to and put the fence in (I was told 3 feet inside property line)...I have no paper from them, nit even a receipt. Fortunately, my wife remembered the name of the fence company and I will contact them tomorrow.
I don't plan on taking action unless he provokes me but I want to be prepared to act immediately. He's already parking his car on MY property...I'm letting that go cause it doesn't really bother me but it's crap like that that leads me to believe he wants trouble. I assure you, if my car was on his property, he'd call the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate