U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 07:44 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,352,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
You dont have to drop it to their levels, but then dont be surprised if you dont sell for a while. People won't pay significantly more for your house, if they can buy a cheaper house and upgrade it to exactly what they want. Selling a house can be very stressful. The stars have to align perfectly, and they usually dont.

Just personally, I think the pictures are really hurting you. There is no one who will want to see your house off those photos. With having no interior photos, people with think automatically something is wrong, and will move on to the next house that has great interior photos, giving them a reason to go look at that house.

If I were you, Id pull it off the MLS listing, and repost when you have really good photos. What is up now is really hurting you.
I guess we pull it for the week. Then next weekend after the floors go in, have the professional pictures taken. Thanks....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 08:29 AM

343 posts, read 716,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
this.

If the OP wants to link to their home, great...we can look at the photos, etc. But the fact that the house was listed with apparently poor photos ignores the modern-day method of presenting a home - online, with good pictures.

Those first 4 people (assuming they had buyers, and weren't just agent previews) want to buy a $325K house in your market. For some reason, yours fell short.

Dropping from $325K to $320K is inconsequential - DEPENDING on various loan programs in your area like FHA. My sense is your FHA limit is probably well above, but who knows.

Oversimplifying, look at this way - I want $1 for a candy bar. If a week later I change the price to $0.98 - are you really motivated to come buy me?
These are all good points. Did you get feedback from those who already viewed the home, what did they say?

A resale doesn't have to look empty as you previously mentioned, but uncluttered and devoid of personal items such as family pictures. The buyer wants to imagine their stuff there not like they are intruding while visiting your home. Next, everything should look spotlessly clean. People buy new homes because the models entice them. Pick up some ideas from them. You don't need new stuff just tastefully arranged. Kitchen countertops need to be spotless. Closets uncluttered. It takes work to stage a home but it's worth it.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:19 AM

11,740 posts, read 9,980,675 times
Camping

It sounds like you are financially going negative or close to it. It might be time to take a licking on the house (sell it cheap) and move onto a new, comfortable, affordable life.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:40 AM

25,739 posts, read 13,392,895 times
How can you not afford to live in a house if the mortgage is paid off but afford to live elsewhere in the area? Are you just going to live partially off the proceeds from your home? How long have both of you been "underemployed"?

If there are a bunch of foreclosures in the area and it is a short term thing renting the house out for a couple years might be the best option. Of course you would most likely have to paint all over again.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:15 AM

6,123 posts, read 8,573,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I personally wouldn't have put it on the market until it was completely ready. Painted, new floors, whatever else you were planning on doing. ... This is a bad time of year time of year to sell, but people do move all year long!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Just personally, I think the pictures are really hurting you. There is no one who will want to see your house off those photos. With having no interior photos, people with think automatically something is wrong, and will move on to the next house that has great interior photos, giving them a reason to go look at that house.
This. If you were going to list it before doing the work, I would have at least included the "before" pictures so people can at least see something and then you can put in the listing that new floors are going in or whatever. But no pictures will make people think something is wrong. You may be priced right, but the reality of the situation is many people won't come to see it without at least somewhat decent pictures - especially since you are saying the reason yours is priced higher is due to condition. It also might be a good idea to include a picture of the floorplan since you mentioned you still had it.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:01 AM

337 posts, read 293,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
How can you not afford to live in a house if the mortgage is paid off but afford to live elsewhere in the area? Are you just going to live partially off the proceeds from your home? How long have both of you been "underemployed"?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Camping
It sounds like you are financially going negative or close to it. It might be time to take a licking on the house (sell it cheap) and move onto a new, comfortable, affordable life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
...We really need to sell the house. We are very underpaid and I've been using what is left from my folks to pay taxes and bills. We are almost our of money....
These are the first thoughts that came to my mind. Unless your "new place" will provide actual employment opportunities at higher salaries, or be significantly lower in expenses (taxes, possibly utilities and maintenance), I don't see how johngolf's advice can work if you remain living in the same geographic area.

Won't you still be in a negative cash flow situation and living off of any "nest egg" you may be able to set aside after you home sale and new purchase? Or is your plan to be able to squeeze/coast by until retirement, SS, pensions(s) kick in?

As far as your current marketing process, IMO it was a big mistake to commence with online staging/marketing before the house was completely "ready". Did the broker push you to move fast before all prep was in place or were you pushing because of the financial situation? Whatever the reason, as others have pointed out it's proven to be a serious hindrance in moving your property in today's online marketplaces and in conducting successful physical showings.

Old 11-12-2016, 02:52 PM

33 posts, read 28,410 times
In case it might be of assistance, and with full knowledge that I do not live anywhere near, nor know this market, I offer the following. Please accept it as such, and kindly meant.

Changing the price changes who looks.

That's not quite the same thing as 'lowering the price makes it more appealing.'

I've experienced this over and over again. Set a price, wait. At the right time, lower the price. Wait. The surprise came for me once when I raised the price above the initial asking price. Sold in a week.

Of course people are looking at location, price per sq ft, comps, and all that. And a lower price, all things being equal, is generally more appealing. But not always. Or so it has happened to me.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTwinkie View Post
These are all good points. Did you get feedback from those who already viewed the home, what did they say?

A resale doesn't have to look empty as you previously mentioned, but uncluttered and devoid of personal items such as family pictures. The buyer wants to imagine their stuff there not like they are intruding while visiting your home. Next, everything should look spotlessly clean. People buy new homes because the models entice them. Pick up some ideas from them. You don't need new stuff just tastefully arranged. Kitchen countertops need to be spotless. Closets uncluttered. It takes work to stage a home but it's worth it.
Two full bedrooms are bare. Family room has a couch left. Master bedroom master walk in closet pretty much empty to show the closet organizer built ins off. Only the bedroom with the one at college is still the way it was-but tidy. I have a POD with all our stuff stored and storage unit with extra furniture. It's as uncluttered as it can be but we do have to at least have a few warm things hanging up. I have all that done and now that's it's painted antique white, it's neutral.

The feedback we got was kitchen was small. We know-we built it for living space and family-not a massive kitchen. And it was "too high". One of those agents was one we used 30 years ago and we almost lost our shirt. Don't trust her as far as I can throw her. One wants to come back when it's painted and floors in the other three bedrooms. I'll never recoup the hardwoods, but that's what buyer from the lower counties want.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Camping

I thought about that. But that means we give it away. We've been in the negative for years in this area. No one can live on just over $10hr. But that's the new employers that have moved here from the lower counties, they want locals out for good. I make under 40K and have argued that with the union until I am blue.

We are moving to GA-our older kids are in FL and GA. So we've never seen their homes-can't when all you can do is pay bills.

I just don't have the right answer to get us what we need for a new house. We have one on a good faith binder, but we may lose that and it was only 242K if we can't get this into contract. Then what.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yishmeray View Post
In case it might be of assistance, and with full knowledge that I do not live anywhere near, nor know this market, I offer the following. Please accept it as such, and kindly meant.

Changing the price changes who looks.

That's not quite the same thing as 'lowering the price makes it more appealing.'

I've experienced this over and over again. Set a price, wait. At the right time, lower the price. Wait. The surprise came for me once when I raised the price above the initial asking price. Sold in a week.

Of course people are looking at location, price per sq ft, comps, and all that. And a lower price, all things being equal, is generally more appealing. But not always. Or so it has happened to me.
Thanks for the advice. I've thought of all these. Our area is sock full of homes of people who can't afford what they bought. It's hurting us. Not my fault they can't pay for what they bought. I was always taught no more than 1 1/2 of your income to buy a home. That's what we did and we stuck to that when we built our home. It's not a cookie cutter, it was a custom built cape. Sadly, we are going to lose out do to others bad choices. Mine can get any loan they need too.

We will see what happens after the floors go in with the pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate