U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 08:31 AM

4,618 posts, read 3,913,247 times

Advertisements

I dont know why you would just not list it now. You're already half way there. Get the floor done, get GOOD pictures of the interior, drop the price a bit, and list it. Give it 60 days. If no luck, pull it and start in the spring.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 08:43 AM

6,123 posts, read 8,575,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
Because my folks hadn't done any updating to the home since they bought it in 1953. Kitchen, bathrooms were all original to the house. Even the linoleum floors. It needed to be completely overhauled. Only things we did was paint everything neutral-it hadn't been painted in 40 years, had to do a roof or I couldn't insure it while cleaning it out for sale and we refinished the hardwoods ourselves. We had sold it at 205K, but the lousy attorney made me "concede" 10K because they found lead-which we'd already signed as a disclosure. But not in the paint-in the Italian ceramic tiles on the wall in the kitchen. It was for them to "abate" it. I already knew the couple was going to do the work themselves on the house-no contractor involved. I was ticked at our attorney for that. I fired her soon after. It was a true fixer upper. That's why.

Ours is turnkey. Move in and you are done. We know the kitchen someone will want to re-do. But the appliances are just a year old. It's fine until someone decides on what they are going to do. Redid the bathrooms 5 years ago with nice tile and new counters. But again-someone may redo that too.
Sorry, but it shouldn't cost near $120K to make the changes to that one to make it comparable to yours. As you mentioned and the pictures show, it's not like yours is even completely updated. Fortunately, that sale was over a year ago so should not be technically used at least as far as appraisal purposes.

Speaking of the pictures, I'd have to agree that they are bad. Why have multiple of the same picture, including two close-ups of the above ground pool? If your realtor took those, you need a new realtor. Although honestly if they suggested listing before you finished making the changes you probably need a new one anyway.

Taking a quick look in the area, the one comparable that sticks out to me is 11 Sharon Dr, which sold in March for $267k. I see it was a Homepath property, but it was a good amount larger and more updated than yours.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:10 AM

16,862 posts, read 21,930,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Sorry, but it shouldn't cost near $120K to make the changes to that one to make it comparable to yours. As you mentioned and the pictures show, it's not like yours is even completely updated. Fortunately, that sale was over a year ago so should not be technically used at least as far as appraisal purposes.

Speaking of the pictures, I'd have to agree that they are bad. Why have multiple of the same picture, including two close-ups of the above ground pool? If your realtor took those, you need a new realtor. Although honestly if they suggested listing before you finished making the changes you probably need a new one anyway.

Taking a quick look in the area, the one comparable that sticks out to me is 11 Sharon Dr, which sold in March for $267k. I see it was a Homepath property, but it was a good amount larger and more updated than yours.
I'm in agreement with all of this. Especially the new realtor issue. I'm wondering WHY you chose this realtor, who has only two other listings, both priced well below your asking price.

Personally, I wouldn't have redone the floors. I would have sold it for less and left that choice and chore to the buyers. Heck, you've already admitted that you won't recoup the cost, so doing it makes zero sense to me. And listing it with virtually no interior photos???

I would not have installed a SS oven with a white fridge and dishwasher, unless I was replacing those with SS as well.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:26 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,352,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm in agreement with all of this. Especially the new realtor issue. I'm wondering WHY you chose this realtor, who has only two other listings, both priced well below your asking price.

Personally, I wouldn't have redone the floors. I would have sold it for less and left that choice and chore to the buyers. Heck, you've already admitted that you won't recoup the cost, so doing it makes zero sense to me. And listing it with virtually no interior photos???

I would not have installed a SS oven with a white fridge and dishwasher, unless I was replacing those with SS as well.
She's not a new realtor-she worked as a broker before in another agency and went to start her own.

We did not do stainless steel-it's all white. Let the next person do that. We did the floors as the carpet needed replacing. Since I am still living here-it's still mine to do as I please. It's easier to maintain. Will I see a return on it? Probably not. But I hate carpet and it was time for ours to be replaced. I couldn't leave it as bare luan/plywood.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:31 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,352,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post

11 Sharon Dr is a raised ranch. I remember when that house was built when I was 12.

I guess we should just pull it. You all have explained it fair enough. No sense in trying to sell as it's not up to snuff with anything around here. Back to finding a job then. Not worth what people want anyway. We've always come up on the short end of that stick.

So that'll be the end of this thread. Our house is not worth it. Never will be.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:46 AM

4,618 posts, read 3,913,247 times
I guess it all boils down to how badly you want to move. It sounds like from what you said, that if you continue to stay there, you dig your financial hole deeper. If you so desperately want to move, finish that floor, get good pictures, and price it to the point where someone will HAVE to buy it. You have a home picked out in Savannah for $250,000; Im sure you can find something very nice for less than that.

When I was in NJ, I was at the point in my life that I wanted to leave. Couldnt afford the crazy cost of living, the winters were horrible. I priced my house where it HAD to sell, it did quickly. I packed up and moved. I didnt have a home to move to, but it didnt matter. I didnt have as much from the sale of my house, but it didnt matter. I stored my stuff and stayed in an extended stay motel until I found what I wanted and could afford. It was the best thing I ever did.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:14 AM

11,747 posts, read 9,986,809 times
Camping

Early on you said you were moving to GA to be close to kids in GA and FL My advice ids as before. Sell and move on to your new life. You also said you have no mortgage so whatever you sell it for, you walk away with.

I say move on to your new life.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:34 AM

6,123 posts, read 8,575,382 times
Quote:
11 Sharon Dr is a raised ranch. I remember when that house was built when I was 12.

I guess we should just pull it. You all have explained it fair enough. No sense in trying to sell as it's not up to snuff with anything around here. Back to finding a job then. Not worth what people want anyway. We've always come up on the short end of that stick.

So that'll be the end of this thread. Our house is not worth it. Never will be.
Why would a raised ranch be worth that much less?

Most of us aren't trying to be mean, just realistic. You're right, there haven't been many houses sold that are very comparable. That's probably why it was easy for me to find one that seems like a much better deal than yours.

But looking at what else is currently on the market, your price doesn't seem crazy. You're the same price/sq ft as the 1859 house (which is still active). You're a little less $/sq ft than 5 Wood Place, which looks to be more updated but doesn't have a garage and is under contract. One that may not be good for you is new construction on McGrath Terrace for $369,900 for a bigger house and bigger lot, but I guess may not be as close to "the village."

So while your price may not be bad, the big thing as most have mentioned is the lack of pictures and the fact that the ones that are there aren't very good is hurting you. Where are pictures of the bathrooms? Are you even making any changes to those?

The problem when you do get more/better pictures is getting people that already looked at it online to look again. You may want to either take it off and re-list (and you may need to wait a few weeks for it to come back up as a new listing), or a pretty significant price drop-to at least $299 or so. As was also said, if you want top dollar, you may just need to be patient. But don't give up. You said you have someone coming to view it again-that should mean they are interested. So hopefully they could be your buyer!

Old 11-13-2016, 11:41 AM

11,578 posts, read 4,996,112 times
HI Campingmom,

I looked at your listing. A few things....we sold our home in May and interviewed many realtors. ALL of them told us to list right away, ready or not. They just wanted the listing! The one we chose told us to wait till we had everything ready to go. All repairs and suggestions she had made. We did everything we needed to do and then listed. First impressions are the best, not to mention the longer you have it listed, the more buyers will try to lowball.

I think the outside of your home is super cute, but of course there are hardly any pictures of the inside. That will hurt you until they are updated. When we were looking for our home I would skip looking at homes with no or little pictures. Didn't want to waste my time if I wasn't remotely interested.

Also, you can't compare the price of new construction to your home as yours is much older. Your home is currently listed at $157 a square foot. That is high IMO, especially when other homes in your area (according to Zillow) have sold between $98-$117 a square foot.

I'm not a realtor, but my suggestion is this...... Take the listing off. Get it completely ready and then relist with LOTS of pictures, do an open house that first weekend it's relisted and lower the price to just under $300K. That will open the buyer pool to ALOT of new buyers who don't want to pay over $300k. List at around $297K. Make sure your realtor states all the new updates in the listing and state that the sellers are MOTIVATED and will consider all offers! This should at least get the ball rolling with more showings.

Don't be discouraged! All homes eventually sell. It all depends on you how fast

Old 11-13-2016, 11:54 AM

4,142 posts, read 9,604,509 times
Quote:
Here it is. Go ahead and critic away. I can't feel any worse than I now feel about my sale.

15 Rapalje Rd, Fishkill, NY 12524 | MLS #355799 | Zillow
I dont think there is anything wrong except the pictures. You need more pictures, of every room in the house. People want to see the entire house before getting out there. Its very important in the year 2016 with the internet and all.

I would just take your camera, take pictures of every room in the house. Make sure everything is clean and then just take the pictures. People will think something is wrong the way things currently are due to the lack of pictures. Usually something significant is being hidden when there are so few interior pictures, which does not seem to be the case here. However that is what buyers are going to be thinking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate