Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 02:00 PM
SQL SQL started this thread

1,337 posts, read 1,185,319 times

Advertisements

I moved into a covenant controlled community that is managed by an HOA last summer. The fees are $210/mo and cover outside maintenance, outside insurance, and water. I just received notice that they will be increasing our fee to $230/mo next calendar year.

Here are my concerns.

They are very slow to do repairs and maintenance around the community. There is a garbage area near my condo that is enclosed. You can walk around back and throw your trash into dumpsters. In the front, there are doors that open for the garbage men to access the area. About four weeks ago, one of the doors rusted at the hinges and fell off. It lay there for days. I reported it once via email. They said they were working on it. Eventually the fallen door was removed, but now we have the trash area half open and revealing the dumpsters and trash. I spoke at a HOA meeting last month about this and they said it was being worked on. It's been over a month and still no work has been done. I emailed our property management company this morning and there has been zero response from them.

Next, they cut down a tree in front of my unit that was damaged during an ice and snow storm earlier this spring. It was a large evergreen tree that provided shade and privacy into my west facing bedroom window. Now there is only a stump, a large empty space, and electric meters that are in clear view. It looks very unappealing.

I am concerned, first and foremost, over the value of my property. The entire purpose of the HOA is to maintain the property in order to keep values from depreciating. They do not seem to be doing this. The property is beginning to look like a dump with trees being cut down, garbage areas not being maintained, and pot holes and broken up roads throughout the community. The townhome community that is right next to us has a $225/mo fee and they maintain their property far better than ours does.

I am frustrated with them and I'm already looking to move out of the community ASAP. In the meantime, is there anything else that can be done in your experience? Or am I basically screwed and stuck with their dereliction of duty?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 02:11 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,418,494 times
Join the HOA board and work with the property manager to improve things. It definitely gives you a voice.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:12 PM
SQL SQL started this thread

1,337 posts, read 1,185,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
Join the HOA board and work with the property manager to improve things. It definitely gives you a voice.
Thank you. Do you have any insights into how you join the board? I've gone to one meeting so far and voice my concerns. Is there generally an election held?

Old 11-11-2016, 02:21 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,418,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
Thank you. Do you have any insights into how you join the board? I've gone to one meeting so far and voice my concerns. Is there generally an election held?
We never many folks volunteering. Go to a meeting and let them know you want to participate and you will likely end up a member is my experience.

Like a lot of things in life, just showing up counts for a lot, and is more than most folks do.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:45 PM

483 posts, read 414,335 times
Why doesn't people realize HOA does not help with any home values???

How can it??

First, HOA alienates buyers who does not want HOAs.

Then HOA cannot control if your neighbor is a hoarder and have bedbugs n fleas within your community that will definitely drag down other unit or home prices.

People living within HOA community is an Apple to Apple comparative selling points. Not the Apple to Orange which justify unique qualities vs same quality that if the other unit is selling for $1 while yours is $1.50.. that $1 will sell before yours and your buyers will be asking you to sell for $1 too.

Especially for condos.
Unless you are in high demand area like CA..
Where demand is way more than supply.

Seen many new builds touting NO HOA to lure buyers.
So that should be a notion why NO HOA sells.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:24 AM

633 posts, read 576,953 times
Quote:
I moved into a covenant controlled community that is managed by an HOA last summer. The fees are $210/mo and cover outside maintenance, outside insurance, and water. I just received notice that they will be increasing our fee to $230/mo next calendar year.

Here are my concerns.

They are very slow to do repairs and maintenance around the community. There is a garbage area near my condo that is enclosed. You can walk around back and throw your trash into dumpsters. In the front, there are doors that open for the garbage men to access the area. About four weeks ago, one of the doors rusted at the hinges and fell off. It lay there for days. I reported it once via email. They said they were working on it. Eventually the fallen door was removed, but now we have the trash area half open and revealing the dumpsters and trash. I spoke at a HOA meeting last month about this and they said it was being worked on. It's been over a month and still no work has been done. I emailed our property management company this morning and there has been zero response from them.

Next, they cut down a tree in front of my unit that was damaged during an ice and snow storm earlier this spring. It was a large evergreen tree that provided shade and privacy into my west facing bedroom window. Now there is only a stump, a large empty space, and electric meters that are in clear view. It looks very unappealing.

I am concerned, first and foremost, over the value of my property. The entire purpose of the HOA is to maintain the property in order to keep values from depreciating. They do not seem to be doing this. The property is beginning to look like a dump with trees being cut down, garbage areas not being maintained, and pot holes and broken up roads throughout the community. The townhome community that is right next to us has a $225/mo fee and they maintain their property far better than ours does.

I am frustrated with them and I'm already looking to move out of the community ASAP. In the meantime, is there anything else that can be done in your experience? Or am I basically screwed and stuck with their dereliction of duty?

Thanks in advance.
There is no 'they". It is we. You live in an HOA. You are part of it.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:58 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,596,530 times
Quote:
What did you want them to do? Repair the tree? HOA cannot do magic.

Quote:
Or am I basically screwed and stuck with their dereliction of duty?
Have you voiced your concerns to the HOA? You need to understand what is being discussed at meetings, like repairs, trees, etc. And what the HOA expenses are, and how much money is left over.

You may find that your money that is paid is spent on a set of bills like water, insurance, basic maintenance and larger items such as replacing trees, etc will need an increase in dues or special assessment.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:59 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,596,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
There is no 'they". It is we. You live in an HOA. You are part of it.
Yep, if you find yourself doing nothing to help your HOA, you might find everyone else doing nothing too. Therefore nothing gets done. Simple as that.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:12 PM

6,615 posts, read 9,168,749 times
First, if you own your unit, YOU are part of the HOA as well; there is no 'they.'

Second, read the by-laws, as there should be information about elections, which is how you would become a member of the board. If a management company is taking care of the day-to-day activities of the HOA, it was probably something that came up for vote at some point or another. Also, there should be meeting minutes available so if you are interested in this, you should be able to request to see the minutes.

Third, as an owner and member of the HOA, you can ask for information about HOA finances. You should be provided with a report that details cash on hand, reserves, etc. Also, items like dues increases are put up for a vote. Your by-laws should detail the process for budget approval. If you feel that items aren't being addressed, it could be because there are problems with the budget or not enough money allocated to fix the issues.

I was an HOA president here in Colorado when I lived in a townhome community. I've since moved on.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:10 AM

14,193 posts, read 14,556,677 times
Typically:

1. The Association ByLaws control BOD elections and/or appointments, not the Covenants.
2. BOD Members are elected by fellow owners at the Annual Meeting.
3. BOD vacancies can be filled by the BOD. The term will run until the next election time.
4. The BOD elects its Officers from among themselves.
5. The BOD can make Rules & Regulations but these R&R's cannot override a Covenant nor a Bylaw.

Many work their way onto a BOD by getting known by their neighbors who will vote for them come election time, serving on BOD appointed Committees, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate