Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 10:07 AM

276 posts, read 231,337 times

Advertisements

i',m sure your buyers are going to do their own home inspection and rely on the person's opinion they hired.

I wouldn't do anything. if their inspector comes up with an issue you can either rectify then- or re-negotiate the purchase price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 10:19 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
As a seller, I wouldn't get an inspection before listing. A buyer is never going to accept the seller's inspector's findings except to look for more leverage to negotiate. Every inspector finds (or misses) something different so it ends up being irrelevant anyway---especially once the buyer's inspector is involved.

As a buyer, a 19 year old asphalt roof in your area would concern me. If you have a heat-pump/hot water heater that's 19 years old--that would really concern me. This would be particularly true if comparable houses had newer items. I do agree with your inspector that now is the time to sell unless you want to replace all of this stuff.

If you are trying to ascertain value of your house, contact local agents. I'd be more inclined to hire an independent appraiser as opposed to an inspector. Ultimately, it's all about comparisons, though. Know your competition.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:41 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Wrong.
NOVA is dead between Thanksgiving and New Year's.
Listing in January makes more sense so as to catch the early Spring market.

No to the deck.
No to any updates. With maybe one exception. Improving curb appeal with low-dollar landscaping.

Declutter first.
Deep clean second.
Touch up paint third.
Deep clean fourth.
Hire a stager ($200) to help you use your own furniture in the most auspicious manner.
Interview at least 3 real estate agents and get CMAs from each.
Pick one and go.
I couldn't agree more. It's odd that the inspector suggested a deck. Inspectors give opinions on the safety and function of the home. Opinions on updating are not typical.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:59 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
We're looking to sell our house. Years ago, a realtor suggested that prior to selling we hire a home inspector. That way, if any problems come up, we can get them fixed before selling. In other words, hopefully there wouldn't be any big surprises when the buyer gets their inspection done.

So, today we had an inspector come to the house. He spent 3 hours checking things. We pointed out the obvious to him---that our kitchen needed updating, as the house is 19 years old. This is what he said---he recommended not doing any work in the kitchen and instead of doing that, we should add a deck to the house.

We never did get a deck because where we live (Northern VA), gnats are a huge problem in the summer. So we never could see ourselves ever using a deck. The inspector said that for many buyers, no deck is a deal breaker for them and that an outdated kitchen isn't a deal breaker.

So...do you agree with what he said or disagree?
We did this before we sold our house. It seems to me it was a waste of money. Our inspection revealed attic mold, which we had remediated. I have no idea if our buyers inspector would have caught it, or cared about it, but anyway we spent $3000. and this was the only issue our inspector found. Fast forward to our buyers inspection, which had about 50 ridiculous things on it. Four of which we agreed to fix.

As for your guy, I think he was not hired to give you decorating advice, but only to point out serious or dangerous items, like foundation, wiring or structural concerns.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:22 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
That's not a house inspector's job. Since this house inspector was recommended by the realtor, he/she likely directed the house inspector to tell you to do these things. Because they cost money that you spend, and the realtor may enjoy the rewards of it. That's how realtors work, they get the home owner to "improve" things which are expensive hoping to sell the home for more and/or a little quicker, but it is all on the home owner's dime. I suspect this one who refers work to the house inspector to tell you these things. I would ignore it and hire a house inspector recommended by your real estate attorney, not your realtor. Realtors routinely get kick-backs from people they recommend for work.

I've hired house inspectors referred by the real estate attorney, they none of them comment on the things you mention. Their job is to see if the home is in need of repairs and issues that would need to be addressed during closing. I would ignore this house inspector, get new one as I suggested and fine another realtor, because something is very fishy here.

Per the bolded: No. We hired the inspector on our own. I explained why we hired him in my OP. Our house is not on the market right now. No realtor ever personally recommended him to us.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:25 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We did this before we sold our house. It seems to me it was a waste of money. Our inspection revealed attic mold, which we had remediated. I have no idea if our buyers inspector would have caught it, or cared about it, but anyway we spent $3000. and this was the only issue our inspector found. Fast forward to our buyers inspection, which had about 50 ridiculous things on it. Four of which we agreed to fix.

As for your guy, I think he was not hired to give you decorating advice, but only to point out serious or dangerous items, like foundation, wiring or structural concerns.
I agree---he wasn't hired to give decorating advice. He even told us that when buyers hire him, he doesn't say these things to them. He felt that since we didn't have the house on the market and that we were paying him to do the inspection, he would offer up advice and suggestions.

We were both surprised to hear him say that we should add a deck!

Old 11-19-2016, 01:33 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Yes now is a good time, if your buyer gets and FHA loan the house needs to have a few years left, I think 3 to 4.. Your buyer's insurance company may tell them they have to get a new roof in 6 years so it's better to sell now. You may be able to show a potential buyer your home inspection report so they know nothing is wrong with the house and if they may even be able to use your same inspector if he offers them a discount to do their inspection since he's already basically gone thru it.
If I was a buyer I would never use the seller's inspector.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:27 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,252,530 times
One advantage of not paying your own inspector is that you want the buyer to pay for an inspection. If you pay your own inspector, the buyer might decide to rely on that, but might try to get a lower price anyway, on the assumption that the inspector probably missed some problems.

The reason why you want the buyer to pay for an inspection is that then he has money invested in your house, and is more motivated to complete the deal, even if he can't get all the discounts he wants.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:21 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
If I was a buyer I would never use the seller's inspector.
Where we lived, in NE Ohio, the appraisers were assigned on a lottery basis. You could not pick and choose your appraiser.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:38 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,841 times
Our house just went on the market. If I were to get a home inspection prior to listing it, I would be more concerned about issues with the roof,chimney, heating system, structural issues with the home. I wouldn't add a deck.

We updated our heating system, tore the old wallpaper off the walls and put on some fresh paint. Previous owner had a cat that wrecked the carpet in the family room, so we replaced that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate