U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-26-2008, 10:31 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
6,959 posts, read 7,473,343 times
Reputation: 6769

Advertisements

I came across this information reading my old NJ home town paper. I know every once in a while, we get a poster asking about section 8 housing.

Household
Size Maximum Annual
Household Income
1 $30,650
2 $35,000
3 $39,400
4 $43,750

The long lines for vouchers in Passaic reflect the ongoing shortage of Section 8 vouchers in New Jersey, which has some of the highest rents in the country. The fair market rent for a three-bedroom apartment is $1,551, according to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

I know that the concept of section 8 is that the recipient should pay no more than 30% of his/her income in rent. I'm not sure whether the above mentioned rent for a 3-bedroom apartment is for the NJ market or a national figure. If anyone has any info to contribute, I'm sure someone down the road will be interested in reading it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2008, 02:58 PM
 
27,494 posts, read 56,541,715 times
Reputation: 21897
It varies by regions of the country...

The Bay Area has some of the highest income limits that I've come across...

I once rented to a City Bus Driver with a child and was also a Guardian of her niece... She had Section 8, although she was responsible for 97% of the rent and housing paid the remaining 3%.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top