Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 08:36 PM

1,850 posts, read 820,477 times

Advertisements

I think the one by the sink is relatively normal. I live I lots of apartments with that. It's not like water sprays into it. But I've never seen the one over the stove. Not that fire would be a problem because the stove isn't rocketing flames skyward. But you couldn't have anything plugged into it when using the stove because the cord would be at risk. So, yeah, that's a bad idea. Good call on finding that. I missed it completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 08:36 PM

757 posts, read 838,116 times
I guess it must depend on your jurisdiction. When I sold my last house, I had to complete a long questionair on the house and that included any work done and required permits obtained etc. When I bought my next house, I asked for and received from the owner as part of the sales agreement all information on appliances, upgrades, repairs et al. I think this is basic data and would not purchase a house without it.

My lawyer friend told me it is best to tell all rather than run the risk of a suit later on when trouble arose.

Bottom line? Give out the information.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:37 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninotchka P View Post
Also, I'm not an electrician or an inspector so what do I know, but that outlet over the stove screams "bad idea" and doesn't seem like it would be code. Also there don't seem to be enough outlets, which also seems not to reflect newer code. Whether that's actually the case or not, as a buyer I would walk away.
It jumped out at me, too. The outlet was directly above the stove before we moved the stove. Both the city inspector as well as the private inspectors I hired ok'ed it. Old house thing?

Old 11-20-2016, 08:47 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
My state allows a home owner to do any work on their home as long as they get the proper permits and inspections. Whether or not you have to disclose depends on your state requirements. There are professional quality improvements and non-professional quality improvement. I've seen homeowners do excellent quality work and craptastic work. As long as it done with a professional finish level there is no issue. People will know right away walking into your kitchen your skill level.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:37 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times
I like the "before" better. Cleaner lines, simpler and brighter.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:23 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
It jumped out at me, too. The outlet was directly above the stove before we moved the stove. Both the city inspector as well as the private inspectors I hired ok'ed it. Old house thing?
First of all, I think you got off on the wrong foot because you didn't understand that standard terminology is that licensed contractors "pull" permits. As in, apply for and do all the necessary forms and drawings that the county requires to issue a permit. That's called pulling a permit.

Now, I am still confused on whether you needed a permit and didn't get it, or you didn't need one. Why was a city inspector involved if there was no permit?

As for the outlets, in the old photo, I see no outlet where the microwave eventually went. So where is the microwave plugged in (was there an outlet behind the cabinet?) and why is there a new outlet above the gas range? That definitely was not there in the before pic. Cannot imagine any licensed inspector would've approved that fire risk.

The outlet by the sink looks like it was already there. Is it a GFC outlet now?

I would think regardless of who did the work, you will need to prove to the buyers that the work had permits, if required.

Someone mentioned the cabinets looking strange -- are they painted that color? Maybe it's the flash but it looks like a sloppy paint job. I also don't like that non-matching shelving above the sink, but otherwise it looks pretty good.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:50 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
The question depends on where you live, you won't get a great answer here. I don't know of any county inspector that would allow a flex gas line run behind/inside cabinets 9' from the outlet. I doubt they would allow an in use outlet to be hidden behind a dishwasher either. I also don't know of any inspector that would allow you to move a fridge and not put it on its own outlet so that alone means you had to have permits pulled; the microwave should be on a separate outlet too. The microwave will be the straw assuming you don't disclose; the buyer will get frustrated that they can't make toast/coffee/whatever and use the microwave at the same time in their "renovated" kitchen without blowing the circuit. Once they call an electrician to take a look well now you have a lawsuit on your hands.

The range looks like it slopes down toward the wall and the opening appears tight and an inspector will call both of those out but it could be the pictures. You also did something to what I would assume is duct work above the cabinets because the original cabinets are sitting flush but the range upper is offset now. You also have something funky going on with the toe kick at the sink base that would catch a good inspector's eye.

This is why you don't DIY an entire kitchen, replacing is fine but moving stuff is not.

Oh and a minor bit the hardware at the sink, and maybe the hinges on the left end, don't match the rest.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:03 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
but in the pics (may be the lighting or flash?) the cabinets look off and the plug next to the faucet seems unsafe.
Fixed your post. Very obvious a DIY update. (would not consider it a remodel).

Old 11-21-2016, 05:06 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
The question depends on where you live, you won't get a great answer here. I don't know of any county inspector that would allow a flex gas line run behind/inside cabinets 9' from the outlet. I doubt they would allow an in use outlet to be hidden behind a dishwasher either. I also don't know of any inspector that would allow you to move a fridge and not put it on its own outlet so that alone means you had to have permits pulled; the microwave should be on a separate outlet too. The microwave will be the straw assuming you don't disclose; the buyer will get frustrated that they can't make toast/coffee/whatever and use the microwave at the same time in their "renovated" kitchen without blowing the circuit. Once they call an electrician to take a look well now you have a lawsuit on your hands.

The range looks like it slopes down toward the wall and the opening appears tight and an inspector will call both of those out but it could be the pictures. You also did something to what I would assume is duct work above the cabinets because the original cabinets are sitting flush but the range upper is offset now. You also have something funky going on with the toe kick at the sink base that would catch a good inspector's eye.

This is why you don't DIY an entire kitchen, replacing is fine but moving stuff is not.

Oh and a minor bit the hardware at the sink, and maybe the hinges on the left end, don't match the rest.
Thank you for your answer.

Yes there was a work permit.

The frige was moved to the opposite side of the room where it has its own outlet. Microwave has its own outlet.

Regarding the toe thing, not done with the kitchen yet. Still gotta put matching trim with the floor all around. There's still some work we have to do.

The slope thing is optical illusion.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:31 AM

649 posts, read 816,541 times
This was clearly DIY because of the "refinishing" on the (second hand?) cabinets. Or they were new RTA cabinets unfinished? IDK but the cabinet doors not closing and the uneven sheen on all of the cabinets will have buyers ripping those out in a heartbeat. Using base cabinets with doors instead of drawers is also not something a professional would do these days. Those giant upper cabinet style handles on the lowers will catch your pants and knock your knees, also not seen in professional design work. However the low end flipper in my neighborhood slaps them everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate