Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 08:43 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,921,401 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some opinions on our situation.

We plan to sell our house in the next year. We have a 20 x 40 inground pool in the back yard (vinyl liner type pool)- it was there when we bought the house about 35 years ago.

The liner will need to be replaced before next season-the walkway around the pool should also be replaced. We had several estimates at around $30,000 to have the work done.

My husband would rather just have the pool filled in for around 7-10K or more (depending on how we want to restore the area).

I know some people looking for houses want a pool - others don't- this is a family neighborhood so it is likely a family with several children would buy the house-

So what would you do- fill it in or fix it up? or is there something else we should consider-

Is doing nothing an option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 08:46 PM

1,704 posts, read 804,442 times
Put some money in escrow to either fill in or repair at buyers option. Let them decide.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:50 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
You also might want to check to see if you can just fill it in. Some areas require the pool to be dug out.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:02 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,327,765 times
What city and state and what price range are we talking.

You likely won't get your $30k back if you redo everything all though that sounds like a really high price.

You likely will need a permit to fill in which shouldn't be too expensive and the building dept will lay out the steps that a contractor will need to take.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:23 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,921,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
What city and state and what price range are we talking.

You likely won't get your $30k back if you redo everything all though that sounds like a really high price.

You likely will need a permit to fill in which shouldn't be too expensive and the building dept will lay out the steps that a contractor will need to take.
We are in NJ- near the Jersey Shore-- house would most likely sell for 350-400K- and believe me- 30K is on the low end-we got much higher estimates than that-

Old 11-23-2016, 04:36 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
I wouldn't do ANYTHING. If the buyercsays something give them a credit for a few thousand. You're better off doing that than duping 10-30k. Hell even if you give them 5k you're still up 5k.

IMO pools are somewhat of a detriment. They require monthly and yearly maintenance (sometimes a 10 year refinishing etc) and higher electrical and water utility bills. Lots of the older pools can't be legally drained out to the street. You need to drain them in your sewer line.

When I bought a house I looked at pool homes. I decided against it. If I want a pool I'll buy one of those big swim type spas. 10-12k and electrical. When you sell you just leave it. For the most part you just float around in a pool anyway. And those swim spas are huge

Old 11-24-2016, 12:06 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
You also might want to check to see if you can just fill it in. Some areas require the pool to be dug out.
That is true with a concrete pool, but the OP stated it was a vinyl pool, which would be hauled away leaving a dirt hole.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:12 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I would fill it in, you'll never get the $30,000 k back. Have you checked with realtors in your area? What are their thoughts? Personally I wouldn't be looking for a pool down the shore, but that is just me.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:47 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Inground vinyl LINER not same as vinyl pool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
I'm looking for some opinions on our situation.

We plan to sell our house in the next year. We have a 20 x 40 inground pool in the back yard (vinyl liner type pool)- it was there when we bought the house about 35 years ago.

The liner will need to be replaced before next season-the walkway around the pool should also be replaced. We had several estimates at around $30,000 to have the work done.

My husband would rather just have the pool filled in for around 7-10K or more (depending on how we want to restore the area).

I know some people looking for houses want a pool - others don't- this is a family neighborhood so it is likely a family with several children would buy the house-

So what would you do- fill it in or fix it up? or is there something else we should consider-

Is doing nothing an option?
Vinyl liner costs are not even close to $30K, much of the estimate has to be replacing the coping ... 2016 Swimming Pool Liner Costs | Pool Liner Replacement Cost

The "coping" or deck around the pool is probably where the bulk of the renovation costs are -- Inground Pool Coping: Idea and Cost Guide!

The issue with coping in poor condition is that it takes LOTS of effort to completely remove the old stuff for either "filing the pool in" or switching to a different material. The need to haul away the old material forces many contractors to give very high quotes that include the "tipping fees" associated with taking the old material to an approved landfill.

One of my pals who is now retired used to build /renovate pools for a living. There are good ways to PATCH any broken concrete with specialized epoxy type repair kits and then OVERCOAT the whole area with polymer based products that result in a modern uniform appearance. This sort of project is far more cost effective -- Microtopping Polymer Transforms Colorado Pool Deck from Boring to Beautiful - The Concrete Network

Some unscrupulous firms use the WRONG product for these efforts and the results don't last -- that ruins the reputation of anyone associated with the "polymer topping". There is a world of difference between contractors that are factory trained in using materials that are designed specifically for pool and hacks that are using "garage floor paint" to try to pass for the same stuff.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:58 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
I agree with the do nothing idea. Disclose what you know, price it appropriately, and see what happens. If it is done in your area, describe the pool "as is".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate