Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 02:53 PM

15,539 posts, read 40,308,808 times

Advertisements

Yikes.

People on this thread need to chill. Oregon has VERY strict land use laws in order to protect our farm/forestland and prevent urban sprawl. You cannot just build a farm labor home on your property. You also cannot live on your property and create a second rental unit on it, unless properly zoned for a duplex/multifamily use.

Yes, zoning can change, but typically properties zone AR5 or AR2 will NOT convert to farming zones. They will get transitioned into single family zones as cities grow in the coming century. So, grayhorse is justifiably upset that her neighbor isn't acting in accordance with zoning laws. She purchased a property having done her due diligence about what could and could not be next door to her. As such, she made an informed purchase with the expectation that people were going to follow Oregon laws. Especially people, like a real estate agent, who is involved with helping people understand our local zoning laws as part of their job.

Grayhorse you do your thing and honestly, if she is engaging in ongoing illegal behaviors, you might want to consider a complaint to the real estate agency. They really do try hard to weed out the bad ones, but can't if they don't know about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 02:57 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,023,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
^^^^ wow that's a real stretch. lol. She has a right to complain if her neighbor is doing something illegal. .
Complain? She is HARASSING her neighbor. She didn't just come onto this forum to let off some steam. Read her posts.
We all do things which are illegal. Say you don't and you are lying.Should we now stalk every neighbor we have under that pretence?? In a 24 hr day, where would that leave time to be... and act... like a normal person? Hold a job maybe? Contribute to society in a positive way?

Her creeper behavior and her insistence we justify her harassment is quite disturbing.The poster before me is even suggesting this creeper extend her harassment beyond the victim and even to the victims employer. This lady needs mental help to stop stalking and hurting innocent people, not be encouraged to harass more folks!

Old 12-05-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
Complain? She is HARASSING her neighbor. She didn't just come onto this forum to let off some steam. Read her posts.
We all do things which are illegal. Say you don't and you are lying.Should we now stalk every neighbor we have under that pretence?? In a 24 hr day, where would that leave time to be... and act... like a normal person? Hold a job maybe? Contribute to society in a positive way?

Her creeper behavior and her insistence we justify her harassment is quite disturbing.The poster before me before me is even suggesting this creeper now harass her neighbors employer. This lady needs mental help to stop stalking and hurting innocent people.
You don't understand Oregon and its laws.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:06 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,023,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
My husband is a builder. I understand exactly what is happening, thank you. He and I have worked together for over two decades.

You are promoting the harassment of a woman, and now, her employer.

Please stop

Old 12-05-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
My husband is a builder. I understand exactly what is happening, thank you. He and I have worked together for over two decades.

You are promoting the harassment of a woman, and now, her employer.

Please stop
I'm promoting a property owner standing up for their rights to not have their property devalued. The real estate agent is not following Oregon laws. It is that simple. Grayhorse is welcome to complain to the REA about a real estate agent failing to act in accordance with Oregon laws.

You are, of course, welcome to encourage poorly behaving agents to stay in this industry, but I like working with ethical people. It isn't harassment to file a complaint for not following zoning laws. I don't see how noticing that your neighbor posted on a local forum that they intend to break the law means you are stalking them. It means that the person intending to break the law isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Heaven help you if you see what neighbors do when someone tries to water a marijuana crop in a non-farming zone area with no water rights out here. Grayhorse is being nice!

Where are you from in Oregon?

Old 12-05-2016, 03:24 PM

991 posts, read 1,514,774 times
Quote:
I'm promoting a property owner standing up for their rights to not have their property devalued. The real estate agent is not following Oregon laws. It is that simple. Grayhorse is welcome to complain to the REA about a real estate agent failing to act in accordance with Oregon laws.

You are, of course, welcome to encourage poorly behaving agents to stay in this industry, but I like working with ethical people. It isn't harassment to file a complaint for not following zoning laws. I don't see how noticing that your neighbor posted on a local forum that they intend to break the law means you are stalking them. It means that the person intending to break the law isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Heaven help you if you see what neighbors do when someone tries to water a marijuana crop in a non-farming zone area with no water rights out here. Grayhorse is being nice!

Where are you from in Oregon?
Thank you Silverfall. We can always depend on your outstanding knowledge of OR real estate law and your high ethics.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:57 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,549,098 times
Quote:
Agree. And too many people on this thread who seem to know nothing about rural living in any way.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:42 PM

254 posts, read 456,422 times
OP had something bad happen to her by someone who had a specific characteristic.

She has now decided in advance that all people with said characteristic are likely to have specific negatives qualities, despite no direct cause that links the characteristic with certainty to those qualities. In other words, she is prejudging that group of people to be probable of negative actions, and it actively treating them differently-- to the point of attempting to deprive them of economic opportunity.

This is the face of prejudice, folks, and its a hateful, ugly thing. This is how it starts-- with people who think they're just being logical and protecting themselves from an irrational fear. Fear is the enemy of progress and enlightenment.

Even if the law is on her side, the OP is a prejudiced person.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:56 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,510,182 times
The neighbor's tenants could be nice or not (just like the rest of us), their character or legal status is not the issue - the law is. Silverfall is an Oregon Realtor, I am a retired USDOL investigator and an Oregonian who has been an advocate for protected worker of all types.

Silverfall and I have given gray horse options to resolve this issue. Set aside the question of whether or not the neighbor is complying with OR land use laws (about which Silverfall is absolutely correct), anyone providing a place for farm workers to live must be licenced and have the housing inspected by DOL. The reason for this is that farm workers have little/no leverage to demand clean and safe housing - and they don't complain to building inspectors which is likely why the neighbor is soliciting those tenants. This issue is a high priority for USDOL, they do not respond to local political pressure. They also assess civil money penalties that will blow your socks off. The only way to challenge them is to go to Federal Court.

'Nuf said.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:06 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,280,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
... I'm sure this realtor is quite aware of the Zoning restrictions on her property and what she can or cannot build.
Just because she's aware of a law doesn't mean she will abide by it. Most miscreants know they've broken a law, yet they do it anyway.

I once sold a small house I had lived in for 13 years. The night of the closing, I went to say good-bye to one of my former neighbors, as I was moving far away. The new owner of "my" house had rented it (apparently via ads that had been run while I was still living there) and the new tenants were moving in. The new tenants were students and a particular number of unrelated people that it was illegal to have residing in a house that was zoned as a single-family residence in that city. I advise the neighbor to call her city council representative. She did but it was more than a year before she was able to force the landlord to get the number of tenants down to a legal level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate