Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 05:51 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,908,767 times

Advertisements

We are not fans of real estate agents; we were lucky enough to buy a FSBO with our current home.

However, we are looking for a 2nd home in a market where there are no FSBOs that interest us.

In the past (we've bought/sold 8 homes in the past 40 years), we would find a local agent who would show us houses. Of course, with MLS, the internet, mostly we can find the houses we are interested in ourselves but we do need an agent to see them.

I am wondering if there's an advantage to not using one agent to show us homes; that instead we'd call the listing agent for any home we are interested in.

Anyone think this is a good v. bad idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 05:51 AM

43,310 posts, read 77,154,614 times
"If you have to ask...."

Old 01-15-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"If you have to ask...."
^^^^^^^^
Good example of why we are not fans of real estate agents. Sigh.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:56 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Yes, it's a huge advantage. To the seller. They will be represented. You won'the. The realtor's contractual obligation will be to the seller.

(Yes, I know dual agency is allowed in many states. I'm not a fan.)

Old 01-15-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yes, it's a huge advantage. To the seller. They will be represented. You won'the. The realtor's contractual obligation will be to the seller.

(Yes, I know dual agency is allowed in many states. I'm not a fan.)
We are OK with representing ourselves....as I stated, we bought FSBO and it was (after 8 other purchases and then sales), the least dramatic.

I should say that I was a licensed real estate appraiser for over 30 years, before my retirement. My DH owned a successful contracting business. We would of course run the contract by an attorney.

We think the 6% commission is simply too high, especially on a 500K house, in a cash sale. We are wondering if a listing agent might be enticed by a higher commission (or even giving up part of the 6% to make a sale).

Old 01-15-2017, 06:09 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
We are not fans of real estate agents
In the past we would find a local agent who would show us houses.
...with MLS, the internet, mostly we can find the houses we are interested in ourselves

I am wondering if there's an advantage to not using one agent to show us homes;
that instead we'd call the listing agent for any home we are interested in.
It's about the raw number of possible properties available that will really suit.
Not "could" or "maybe" or "but if you do X then"...

In most markets the real deal possibles is an objectively low number regardless of your filters.

Far more important to an experienced buyer is having their own RE specializing attorney.
Even in areas where closings are handled by title companies have the relationship in place
and consult with them BEFORE signing any contract.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It's about the raw number of possible properties available that will really suit.
Not "could" or "maybe" or "but if you do X then"...

In most markets the real deal possibles is an objectively low number regardless of your filters.

Far more important to an experienced buyer is having their own RE specializing attorney.
Even in areas where closings are handled by title companies have the relationship in place
and consult with them BEFORE signing any contract.
We are looking in a small town, we are very picky on location, size, etc. Currently there are 3 houses that might suit us based on listing info/photos/style/location

We know what we want and frankly have found in the past, when we hook up with an agent, they insist on showing us houses we KNOW we aren't interested in. This is why we prefer to DIY this sale as much as possible. Sadly, most sellers are sheep and go the realtor route, rather than FSBO.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:21 AM

43,310 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
^^^^^^^^
Good example of why we are not fans of real estate agents. Sigh.
What advantages do YOU see in going without representation, or in trying to put a listing agent into dual agency?

There was great wisdom in my post. If you have to ask, you are not prepared to do this.
If you are prepared to do this, you don't have to ask.

My clients, buyers and sellers are ALL counseled to decline dual agency, so you would proceed without representation. Your answer to the question above might influence me as to whether I would counsel my seller to allow you to write an offer without representation.

See what I would owe you as an unrepresented buyer:
https://www.ncrec.gov/Brochures/HTML/WorkingWith.html

As an agent for the seller, I would be well-compensated for eating your lunch.
Actually, that does not appeal to me at all.
I would rather you come with your own agent, as most listing agents would.

Ah... More information.
But, if you have to ask...
Quote:
We are OK with representing ourselves....as I stated, we bought FSBO and it was (after 8 other purchases and then sales), the least dramatic.

I should say that I was a licensed real estate appraiser for over 30 years, before my retirement. My DH owned a successful contracting business. We would of course run the contract by an attorney.

We think the 6% commission is simply too high, especially on a 500K house, in a cash sale. We are wondering if a listing agent might be enticed by a higher commission (or even giving up part of the 6% to make a sale).

Old 01-15-2017, 06:21 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,855,486 times
It's very clear that you've already made up your mind. Have at it.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:22 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,654,822 times
Quote:

Why is the commission a concern for you, as a buyer? That's between the seller and their agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate