Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 07:51 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Thanks everyone I'm in Tampa Florida. The room does have a window but no closet. It's about a 10x10 room. It's listed by the county as a 4/2. So I guess that's what it is!!
I wouldn't necessarily trust county records. My home is listed as 5 bedrooms on our county page but when I was purchasing it we found out that our septic system was only permitted for 4 bedrooms (and I even told that info to the county but they never changed it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 08:21 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I wouldn't necessarily trust county records. My home is listed as 5 bedrooms on our county page but when I was purchasing it we found out that our septic system was only permitted for 4 bedrooms (and I even told that info to the county but they never changed it).
I don't think the county cares about your septic system. They care about how many bedrooms your home has. Also it's more about how many bathrooms you have because bedrooms don't use the septic system. If you have 1 person per bedroom that's 5 people using the septic system. If you only use 4 bedrooms and it's parents and 3 kids that's also 5 people using the septic system.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:19 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I don't think the county cares about your septic system. They care about how many bedrooms your home has. Also it's more about how many bathrooms you have because bedrooms don't use the septic system. If you have 1 person per bedroom that's 5 people using the septic system. If you only use 4 bedrooms and it's parents and 3 kids that's also 5 people using the septic system.
Mine does - Carolinas Real Estate Talk : Buying or Selling a Charlotte Home on a Septic Tank (I have no affiliation to this blog it was just one of the first search results).

But that wasn't really my point, my point was just that you can't always trust the tax records.

Anyway, I agree with the consensus to check the codes to confirm what defines a bedroom. Hopefully that confirms it is one, but if not, I'd definitely have your agent do something about it.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:36 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Does it have a window? In some states where I lived that was the distinguisher.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:58 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
This^^

The house I grew up in was listed by the county as a 9 bedroom. It was a large house, and any room they couldn't define on the plan was counted as a bedroom. There were actually 6. I'm not actually sure how they got to 9. I think they counted the office (reasonable enough, except that it had an entire wall of built in bookshelves with a rolling ladder, which meant the remaining dimensions wouldn't have fit a bed other than a daybed), the shop (which did not have an egress window, as the window was under the deck, just for airflow) and the laundry room (which had its own closet, but which also opens directly off the garage). Thinking through the plan, that is the only way I can think of that they could have come up with 9.

No matter how many times we contacted the county to have this corrected, it never was updated in the records.

Just last week, I was advertising a rental, and looked at the tax records. Tax records said it was a 3 bedroom, 2 bath. I thought, "I don't think that's right", so went and walked through the house to remind myself of the plan. It is really a 4 bedroom, 3 bath. Also more than 150 bigger than the tax records list. Makes me wonder if they entered information for the wrong house.

So don't trust that the county records are accurate.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:12 AM

814 posts, read 2,044,107 times
where i own a rental home in PA i added a shower to the downstairs bathroom it was formerly a half bath with just a toilet and sink. the realtor that is going to be putting it up for sale this spring said due to the fact the basement now has a fully bathroom he is listing it as a 4 bed 2 bath home. apparently the basement "den" is now a bedroom because i put in the shower. the den does have a separate door entrance from the hallway in the basement and a small natural gas wall heater ,window and four walls but no closet. the township records call it a 3 bed 1 and 1/2 bath. waitin to see what comes of it when i sell it.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post

Just last week, I was advertising a rental, and looked at the tax records. Tax records said it was a 3 bedroom, 2 bath. I thought, "I don't think that's right", so went and walked through the house to remind myself of the plan. It is really a 4 bedroom, 3 bath. Also more than 150 bigger than the tax records list. Makes me wonder if they entered information for the wrong house.

So don't trust that the county records are accurate.
Most likely an unpermitted addition.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:50 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
County records aren't always correct. My sister's 4 bedroom home is listed as a 3 bedroom despite them all having closets.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:54 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Most likely an unpermitted addition.
I thought that too, but I don't think it is the case here, because when I looked in MLS, there was a listing from shortly after the house was built originally, and it has a note that says "assessor site has incorrect information". I think it was just entered wrong and has never been fixed, even though the house has changed hands at least twice without it being updated.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I thought that too, but I don't think it is the case here, because when I looked in MLS, there was a listing from shortly after the house was built originally, and it has a note that says "assessor site has incorrect information". I think it was just entered wrong and has never been fixed, even though the house has changed hands at least twice without it being updated.
If the square feet match and doesn't show a different effective year built then it may be original and just entered wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate