Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 12:07 PM

601 posts, read 453,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalfire View Post
"have to hear my neighbors having sex (Army barracks rooms)"

!!??!!
Haha, I was always in mixed-gender Army units.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 01:47 PM

6 posts, read 15,708 times
I live in a Condo now which unfortunately has very little sound insulation between the floors and walls. I can hear everything my next door, and upstairs, neighbors do. So I'd say...it's easier to rent then to buy and then be stuck with more work you have to put into a unit.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:22 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,338,064 times
I think it depends on the construction of the building. We downsized to a downtown condo 5 months ago. It's a steel and concrete construction highrise condo that completed in 2016. We have one neighbor who I think is a performing artist and another neighbor with a 3 year old kid. I don't hear anything from them ever. Once or twice a month I might catch the faint noise of one neighbor practicing/singing or the toddler screaming while walking to my unit from the elevator, but once I enter my unit I don't hear it anymore. There are some "high end" apartment high rises going up here in Seattle that are also steel and concrete construction, and I suspect they have comparable soundproofing. I have to say the condo we are living in now has unquestionably superior sound insulation compared to our previous single family home. No question.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:23 PM

15 posts, read 12,188 times
Apartment, condo, concrete or not, does not matter much. Sound travels faster in solids than in ambient air. Then there is impact noise, upstair neighbors banging on your ceiling. Not much can be done to mitigate this on your part. If they have carpets placed everywhere that would help but nothing helps with low frequency banging noise, especially at night, the absolute worst.

What matters most is what your *neighbor* is like. Some people thought they had a solid built condo and the irony was that they just happened to have the quietest guy on the block as their neighbor, only to find out when a noisy neighbor moved in. Been there done that telling from personal experience. Top floor corner apt I imagene could be the best (though have no firsthand experience to share).

Private house can be better in terms of impact sound (the worst), air borne noise coming through windows--the same. A private house on a large lot in the woods would be the best.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:08 PM

738 posts, read 756,051 times
Older apartments and high rises are probably better bets on noise. The reason is that International building code removed the between units fire separation requirements in most buildings that existed under the precursor codes(Southern for my part of the country). Fire separation was most easily accomplished by doubling or tripling the wall board between units and thus reducing sound transfer.

Newer stuff has fire sprinkler systems to meet base code requirements rather than bulking separation protection. Rehabbed stuff without sprinklers will still use extra wall board to meet existing building code since it's the most inexpensive way to get points for compliance. High rise stuff generally has mandated fire separation that's higher than low rise stuff so provides more base protection.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:30 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,212,532 times
I own a condo in the city. The biggest factor I personally notice is what kind of people usually rent in an apartment vs. what kind of people buy a condo. My building has a rule where only 25% of the building can be rented by the owner and the other 75% has to be owner occupied. I find that condo owners tend to care more about the community and their neighbors, thus being more mindful of noise.
The tenants (renters) in the building just simply don't care (I speak from experience. There are renters in the condo below me. Noisiest people ever!).

That's just my take on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate