Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 10:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,895 times

Advertisements

My builder is making huge profits on upgrades in my kitchen, instead of charging us the cost difference. The cabinet shop actually told the cost was not that much higher than what he was putting in as standard. He has no upgrade pricing list and is actually charging double what the upgrade is. What can we do? New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 11:25 PM

280 posts, read 250,206 times
Do more research before buying..... There is a reason why the builders throw in "upgrades" for free or close to nothing.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:03 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Your builder is running a business and is allowed to make profits; ideally "huge", for the investors.

You, as a consumer, should have done more research as to cost and quality, and then negotiated BEFORE agreeing to upgrades.

It's too late now, but a lesson learned for the future.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:12 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
Does your contract allow for a change order and at what cost? If you believe that the builder is price gouging, depending on the timing of all this (i.e. if it is not too late) it might cost you a couple hundred dollars to go back to the standard and then upgrading once you close. Or, you might try renegotiating but it sounds like it is too late for all that if the installer is already there.

If it is too late, you might be able to leverage what you know now into getting some additional freebies later (i.e. better landscaping, better or more lighting, window coverings, etc.)

Old 12-13-2016, 05:27 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
This is how capitalism works - nobody sells something something for the same price they bought it.

Did you know how much he was going to charge before you agreed to the upgrade? Is there something in your contract that specifically prohibits this?

If not, the price the builder paid for the materials is irrelevant. He could have gotten them for free and still charged the same price, which you (I assume) agreed to.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:15 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Para

It sounds like you are going behind the builder's back to check on his cost then complaining he is charging to much.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:00 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
No businessman is going to charge you exactly what his costs are. There is going to be some mark-up.

When you change your order, there is additional cost to the contractor. He might have to reschedule workers. He might have to cancel previous orders.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:04 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
The time to do these price checks was before you signed the contract, not after and then make your decisions about which upgrades to take from the builder.

I had a spreadsheet with every upgrade for my house that I was thinking about doing, and I comparison shopped to see if it was worth doing through the builder or waiting to do on my own. It was a real mixed bag to be honest. For some things, they were crazy expensive (upgraded toilets for one) and some things were super cheap, like nice door levers instead of builder grade knobs and Dacora light switches - I couldn't have even bought the parts for the price of the upgrade, never mind adding on for the labor to install.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:00 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Question:

Is this a "change" or just an upgrade? The difference being an upgrade is chosen up front. A change is chosen after the house has started construction.

Changes are a lot more work than upgrades, and usually end up causing delays, and almost all builders charge a markup as well as a change fee.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:55 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Does your contract allow for a change order and at what cost? If you believe that the builder is price gouging, depending on the timing of all this (i.e. if it is not too late) it might cost you a couple hundred dollars to go back to the standard and then upgrading once you close. Or, you might try renegotiating but it sounds like it is too late for all that if the installer is already there.

If it is too late, you might be able to leverage what you know now into getting some additional freebies later (i.e. better landscaping, better or more lighting, window coverings, etc.)

I agree! I have built 2 homes and builders always add more cost to the upgrades then what you could actually buy them for yourself; however, the contract can be modified. Tell them you know the cost is WAY to high on the upgrades and you're not happy. Ask for free appliances (fridge, oven, dishwasher, microwave), upgraded lighting and/or a landscaping package. You could also ask for $$ towards your closing costs or have them paint the whole interior!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate