Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:24 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving2GF View Post
Would you please give me your opinion on this write-up? We currently don't have ANYTHING, so something is better than nothing, but I don't want to put off buyers by having too much to read. Though I, personally, would love to see this information as I'm searching for a house to buy, I dont' know if most people would. Is it too long, or is the information something you would want to know? Thanks.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nestled among huge oaks, this quality-built 4-side brick home sits on a 1.04 acre lot with low-maintenance natural landscaping and year-round views of the North Georgia mountains from the covered front porch and screened back porch. Built in 2002, the 3,000 sq ft custom home features an open floor plan with 3 bedrooms and 2 ½ baths on a full unfinished basement. Extra details like hickory floors throughout the main level, wainscoting in the formal dining room, a key nook by the garage door, custom-pieced molding and trimwork, and built-in lighting create a home like no other.

The dramatic 2-story foyer opens into the livingroom, which features cathedral ceilings, a fireplace with gas logs, built-in shelving and entertainment center (already wired for surround sound), and arched windows on the 2nd story for lots of natural light. The spacious master suite (more than 500 sq ft.) is located on the main floor just off the living room. The master bedroom boasts a double tray ceiling and direct access to the screened back porch. The master bath features dual cultured marble vanities, a deep jacuzzi bathtub, a 4x6 ft. cultured marble & glass block shower, and tile floors. The oversized walk-in closet includes a built-in dresser.

The custom kitchen features handcrafted natural cherry cabinets and a center island built from local cherry trees. The flat top range has a tile backsplash which accents the solid-surface countertops. The breakfast nook is flanked by large bay windows. The built in desk is perfect for paying bills, answering the phone, and serving as the family information hub. The oversized laundry room is on the main floor, and has a countertop with a built-in stainless steel wash sink, lots of cabinet space, and a wall devoted to a shelf and clothes rod. The 2-car side-entrance garage has 2 separate garage doors and entry into either the kitchen or the partially fenced back yard.

The second story features two bedrooms, each with a walk-in closet with extra shelving. The unique two-part bathroom design allows someone to use either of the 2 vanities while another person is in the more private shower/toilet room. A super-sized finished bonus room over the garage can serve as a family room, office, playroom, or guest bedroom.

The full, unfinished daylight basement has rooms already framed and is plumbed for a kitchen and bathroom. With 2 sets of double French doors that open to the backyard, it could house lawn equipment, a pool table, or both!

This is excellent!

Just a few comments. When I create a virtual tour, I generally follow a specific line in the narrative as if I am taking a visitor through a house. To me, the most logical virtual route is:

Entry
Living room
Dining room
Kitchen
Master Suite
Secondary bedrooms
Secondary bathrooms (unless there's a powder room off the public areas, which I'd put closer to the living room)
Basement
Exterior

Does your home have a dining room? or is the breakfast nook your only dining area?

Also, there's something jarring (to me) about having the master suite described immediately after the living room and before the kitchen. I'd put it after the kitchen but before the description of the upstairs bedrooms.

Finally, for upstairs bathrooms like yours, I call the room with the vanity a dressing room (e.g., "The upstairs hall bathroom features an outer dressing room with double vanity (or dual sinks) and an inner bathroom with tub/shower and toilet.")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 09:43 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,812 times
Quote:
Would you please give me your opinion on this write-up? We currently don't have ANYTHING, so something is better than nothing, but I don't want to put off buyers by having too much to read. Though I, personally, would love to see this information as I'm searching for a house to buy, I dont' know if most people would. Is it too long, or is the information something you would want to know? Thanks.

Nestled among huge oaks, this quality-built 4-side brick home sits on a 1.04 acre lot with low-maintenance natural landscaping and year-round views of the North Georgia mountains from the covered front porch and screened back porch. Built in 2002, the 3,000 sq ft custom home features an open floor plan with 3 bedrooms and 2 ½ baths on a full unfinished basement. Extra details like hickory floors throughout the main level, wainscoting in the formal dining room, a key nook by the garage door, custom-pieced molding and trimwork, and built-in lighting create a home like no other.

The dramatic 2-story foyer opens into the livingroom, which features cathedral ceilings, a fireplace with gas logs, built-in shelving and entertainment center (already wired for surround sound), and arched windows on the 2nd story for lots of natural light. The spacious master suite (more than 500 sq ft.) is located on the main floor just off the living room. The master bedroom boasts a double tray ceiling and direct access to the screened back porch. The master bath features dual cultured marble vanities, a deep jacuzzi bathtub, a 4x6 ft. cultured marble & glass block shower, and tile floors. The oversized walk-in closet includes a built-in dresser.

The custom kitchen features handcrafted natural cherry cabinets and a center island built from local cherry trees. The flat top range has a tile backsplash which accents the solid-surface countertops. The breakfast nook is flanked by large bay windows. The built in desk is perfect for paying bills, answering the phone, and serving as the family information hub. The oversized laundry room is on the main floor, and has a countertop with a built-in stainless steel wash sink, lots of cabinet space, and a wall devoted to a shelf and clothes rod. The 2-car side-entrance garage has 2 separate garage doors and entry into either the kitchen or the partially fenced back yard.

The second story features two bedrooms, each with a walk-in closet with extra shelving. The unique two-part bathroom design allows someone to use either of the 2 vanities while another person is in the more private shower/toilet room. A super-sized finished bonus room over the garage can serve as a family room, office, playroom, or guest bedroom.

The full, unfinished daylight basement has rooms already framed and is plumbed for a kitchen and bathroom. With 2 sets of double French doors that open to the backyard, it could house lawn equipment, a pool table, or both!
It think all that is just too much. The point is to get them in to look at the house not write a novel. I'd stop at the first paragraph. That listing would turn me off completely. It's over sell.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:49 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
Quote:

As a buyer, I stopped reading after the first paragraph. That is way too long for me. I want specifics like room sizes, not a virtual tour on paper.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:08 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
As a buyer, I stopped reading after the first paragraph. That is way too long for me. I want specifics like room sizes, not a virtual tour on paper.
I agree - it's a great script for a virtual tour, but not a written ad. Also, a pet peeve of mine is the overuse these days of the word "nestled".

Hit all the key points but keep it short, sweet and factual with just a few adjectives.

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:14 AM

42 posts, read 265,835 times
Okay (sorry to ask you to read more!) I've shortened it by half, and I think I've still got a good bit of information, but it's definitely shorter. Is this better?

- - - - - - - - - -

This quality-built 4-side brick home sits on a wooded 1.04 acre lot with year-round views of the North Georgia mountains from the front and back porch. Built in 2002, the 3,000 sq ft custom home features an open floor plan with 3 bedrooms and 2 ½ baths on a full unfinished basement. Extra details like hickory floors throughout the main level, wainscoting in the formal dining room, a key nook by the garage door, custom-pieced molding and trimwork, and built-in lighting create a distinctive home.

The 2-story foyer opens into the livingroom, which features a fireplace, built-in shelving, and arched windows on the 2nd story. The custom kitchen and breakfast nook feature handcrafted natural cherry cabinets, a tile backsplash, solid-surface countertops, a center island, and a built-in desk. The oversized laundry room is on the main floor and has a countertop, stainless steel sink, lots of cabinet space, and a long shelf and clothes rod.

The spacious main-floor master suite (more than 500 sq ft.) offers a vaulted ceiling and direct access to the screened back porch. The master bath features dual vanities, a jacuzzi bathtub, a 4x6 ft. cultured marble & glass block shower, and tile floors. The oversized walk-in closet includes a built-in dresser.

The second story features two bedrooms with walk-in closets. The upstairs bathroom features an outer dressing room with 2 vanities and an inner bathroom with tub/shower and toilet. A finished bonus room sits above the 2-car garage. The full, unfinished daylight basement has 2 sets of double doors to the outside, 5 rooms already framed, and is plumbed for a kitchen and bathroom.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:24 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,812 times
Quote:
Okay (sorry to ask you to read more!) I've shortened it by half, and I think I've still got a good bit of information, but it's definitely shorter. Is this better?

- - - - - - - - - -

This quality-built 4-side brick home sits on a wooded 1.04 acre lot with year-round views of the North Georgia mountains from the front and back porch. Built in 2002, the 3,000 sq ft custom home features an open floor plan with 3 bedrooms and 2 ½ baths on a full unfinished basement. Extra details like hickory floors throughout the main level, wainscoting in the formal dining room, a key nook by the garage door, custom-pieced molding and trimwork, and built-in lighting create a distinctive home.

The 2-story foyer opens into the livingroom, which features a fireplace, built-in shelving, and arched windows on the 2nd story. The custom kitchen and breakfast nook feature handcrafted natural cherry cabinets, a tile backsplash, solid-surface countertops, a center island, and a built-in desk. The oversized laundry room is on the main floor and has a countertop, stainless steel sink, lots of cabinet space, a long shelf and clothes rod.

The spacious main-floor master suite (more than 500 sq ft.) offers a vaulted ceiling and direct access to the screened back porch. The master bath features dual vanities, a jacuzzi bathtub, a 4x6 ft. cultured marble & glass block shower, and tile floors. The oversized walk-in closet includes a built-in dresser.

The second story features two bedrooms with walk-in closets. The upstairs bathroom features an outer dressing room with 2 vanities and an inner bathroom with tub/shower and toilet. A finished bonus room sits above the 2-car garage. The full, unfinished daylight basement has 2 sets of double doors to the outside, 5 rooms already framed, and is plumbed for a kitchen and bathroom.
I still think it's just too much. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:38 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
Still too much for me as well.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:43 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Advertising is an art form, but I was taught early on that people don't buy features, they buy benefits. So each feature (or set of features) should be followed up by the benefit of the feature. The description would be ideal for a flyer, but I'd go with pictures and captions for internet advertising.

The word oversized got used a few times too many for my taste. I have no idea what a double tray ceiling is. I don't care where the cherry trees were grown that the center island is built from. A little editing for brevity might be a consideration.

You have written a wonderful description of the property, I would suggest that you take a picture of each feature you've described and then see if theres a way to use the pictures in your advertising with captions. In CA the home would sell for a gazillion dollars.

Well done

Old 02-28-2008, 11:46 AM

51 posts, read 191,379 times
Most of the items you listed could be seen in photos of the property instead. I'd rather see the photos and have a more general feel of the property from the description.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:07 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,041 times
I think you've hit the high points in the first paragraph, which works for those with a short attention span.

Buying a house is an information-intensive proposition and I'm sure there are many people who will want to know every detail you have listed.

The only thing I would change about the first paragraph is adding that it has a 2-car garage up there. I know it's mentioned at the end, but since some people aren't likely to read to the end, it's worth mentioning up front as well.

Hopefully you do have photos (with captions) that correspond with the different rooms. Some people want pictures, some want description. Having both is ideal, particularly if you provide the picture people with a good synopsis in the first paragraph.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate