Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 05:41 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,946,406 times

Advertisements

There's a palm tree right outside my property, it belongs to the county of Los Angeles, CA. The county does a decent job at keeping it trimmed (mostly the stem) but there's been times where massive branches have fallen onto my driveway and on my rooftop. Last night it was very windy and pouring with rain, I heard a loud knock and I got quite scared. Next morning I learnt that it was the palm tree branch that had landed on my roof and had fallen down. One side of my roof is actually sagging, though I'm not 100% sure if this was caused by fallen palm tree branches. These branches are sharp and dangerous. They could damage my car, hurt my tenants, land on a small child etc. It's actually quite awkward where the palm tree is, it's kinda in the way, right near my mail boxes but I've just been dealing with it and now I'm thinking no more. I wanted to know if anyone has any experience dealing with the county on this issue of requiring a palm tree to be removed? I haven't contacted them yet as it's the weekend but I wanted to hear from others til then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 05:57 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Send them a certified letter telling them of the issues you are having and that you would like it to come down, if not this is your notice that you are letting them know of the dangerous condition that exists because of the tree.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:42 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Out here there is a form that an arborist fills out indicating that it is a hazard and then you give that to the county for removal.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:12 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Contact LA County and make a complaint. File a claim and follow it with a lawsuit if your house was damaged. Important: file claim first, file lawsuit second if no satisfactory resolution. See small claims court rules, you need to satisfy certain conditions before filing a small claims lawsuit before you can file a case in small claims court.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:37 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Pam tree in my back yard in Denver.
Love it.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:35 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
What is on the property where the tree is located? Is it just county right of way, or is it a county building?

You could go here and let them know that the tree is in danger of causing damage to your property.

http://dpw.lacounty.gov/contact/

Old 12-18-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
What is on the property where the tree is located? Is it just county right of way, or is it a county building?

You could go here and let them know that the tree is in danger of causing damage to your property.

Contact Public Works
Thank you and everyone else. I will check out that link.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Contact Public Works
It's just on a side walk outside my house.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:05 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
The only thing you can do is to send a letter to the county telling them that their palm is causing you problems.

They don't have to remove it. It is up to you to maintain your insurance to cover possible damage done by the tree.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:12 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Both LA City and County are well aware of their legal liability and that it is better to take care of a problem before it becomes a damage claim. What means they use to address the problem is their decision.

In any case it is always a good idea to maintain adequate insurance coverage on your real estate. In fact if you don't own your property free and clear it is a requirement of your mortgage.

This is a situation of simply getting the notice to the right authorities that they have a tree problem that must be addressed. Make certain they know that the threat of property damage is imminent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate