Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 01:55 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times

Advertisements

After five months of house hunting we still have not found anything that says "wow Im the house " because I need this house to say this is it because im not moving again . Im so over it . I m thinking I should take a break for awhile and stop looking . Have any of you ever felt this way ? I mean nothing Im seeing is of any interest to me .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 02:12 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Then your expectations are too high for what you expect to get in either the area you're looking in or the price range. Most things can be cured by price. If you can't increase your price, you need to lower your expectations.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:17 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Many people make a list of the very specific things which they are looking for in a house, then they cull listings with a realtor who IS FAMILIAR with the properties being vetted.

They then take that list...generally a handful of appropriate properties, schedule showings, and go have a look.

If the buyer has been accurate, and the realtor knows the subject properties, the chances of a hit ar pretty good.

If none of the properties fit the bill, then the criteria are revised for the pluses and minuses, and the realtor generates a new list.

After the third iteration, the buyer is on their own to wander, drive, search, read, and peruse the internet for selections. Maybe the realtor will help schedule a showing of a select property, but it no longer becomes a priority.

To be frank, some folks are looking for that "perfect" property, which doesn't exist--even if you build it yourself. What they are really saying is that they are looking for a property which captures their interest, for whatever reason. It likely doesn't meet many of the buyers original criteria. But it "moves them" to make an offer.

It sounds, OP, like you are in the latter group. Don't give up; just relax the process a little bit. Drive, read, wander the internet and when/if you find something which (seriously) floats your boat, contact a realtor and see if they will give you a showing. Otherwise, leave the realtor home until you have a pretty serious candidate on your radar screen. It reduces the frustration on both sides: they are not trying to accomplish the impossible; and you can feel relaxed that you are not wasting their time.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:44 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Yup! That is why we decided to build the house we wanted instead of looking at houses that didn't have all the features we wanted. We were able to do so at just slightly more cost than an existing house that would still need to be changed/ updated.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:47 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
unless money isn't an issue, even your "dream" house will have to have compromise.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:35 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
You are not going to find a house because the Committee to Save the Apostrophe from Abuse has blackballed you.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:34 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,822 times
I will be closing on my first house at the end of next month. It has been a long nine months of searching and like you I am sick of looking. Like a previous poster said, most of the issues can be met by more money. It took me a long time to realize that I was looking in a price range which was too low for what I felt I wanted in a house and area. I had to bump up my maximum price another 35000 and then so much more opened up to me. In the end it did not change my monthly payment to a point that put me outside my comfort level. Rest assured that you will eventually find one.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:36 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
After five months of house hunting we still have not found anything that says "wow Im the house " because I need this house to say this is it because im not moving again . Im so over it . I m thinking I should take a break for awhile and stop looking . Have any of you ever felt this way ? I mean nothing Im seeing is of any interest to me .
I have been house hunting for five years and I finally have it down to two which I will try to go and see both on Wednesday morning and make a decision and an offer.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:40 PM

153 posts, read 194,730 times
Is your agent not sending you listings to pick from before you waste you time visiting them? This should save a ton of time and frustration.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:58 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
I had a perfectly good house but wanted to buy my "dream house". I looked online for years but found nothing that even seemed worth looking at. I am so picky, and since I was living in a good house already, my pickiness was getting pretty extreme. I thought nothing would ever show up that met my criteria! like the OP, I was getting pretty discouraged.

Last September I saw a house online that looked like it might be pretty good, so I called my realtor out of the blue and had him show it to me. He did, and then he did comps and proved to me that it was way overpriced. My (appropriately priced) offer didn't get a very good counter-offer, and besides it just didn't feel right so I didn't pursue it. I didn't look at any more houses.

It was meant to be. This May I saw a realtor pounding in a "For Sale" sign, right in the neighborhood I wanted to live in, in fact on the very block I liked best. I immediately called my realtor and he arranged for us to have the first showing, the very next day. I didn't even know the square footage or the price, but I knew this was the house! It turned out that this house fits my needs and desires MUCH better than the house last September, and this one was listed at a reasonable price. I love this house! It's not that it is lavish or huge, but it fits me so well in every way, and felt like home the minute I first went inside. He did the comps and determined that it was appropriately priced, so within the hour I made a full price cash offer which was accepted. It is mine now, and I am already moved in and unpacked. It is even better than I thought it would be.

Sometimes you just have to be patient, keep your eyes open, bide your time, wait for years.... and when it finally comes on the market, be ready to POUNCE!

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 07-20-2015 at 10:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate