Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 05:31 PM

524 posts, read 574,191 times

Advertisements

What is the distance between where you live and where you are buying? We will be looking next year on the east coast, so will probably buy sight unseen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 05:34 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
In a hot market, previewing is the province of losers.
It hurts, but it is true. I work a LOT harder to get clients into a house than myself, because we need to move quickly.
Now, if the house is crippled, and sitting on the market for 100 days or so, that urgency is nil, and I can preview to find out why.
But, new listings? By the time I can preview for a buyer who wants to see it, report to them, and wait for them to get around to seeing it, someone else is writing an offer and going to contract.
Well, the market's not THAT hot, actually. Most of the houses there take a month or more to sell. Some sell w/in the month It's just that most don't meet my criteria. But this one was apparently in a hot neighborhood and I didn't know it. My agent could have informed me of that (if she knew it), but she was out of town.

I now have a new agent (my third). Hopefully he'll be more helpful (I need all the help I can get). He also has done some remodeling, so can help w/general estimates for repairs and such.

See, I'm looking at older homes. I have to research zoning...measure the lot...do estimates for what I think are the repairs & upgrades needed. Because I don't have a limitless pocketbook. I can't afford to buy a house and then realize I have $50k of repairs & updates, and all I've budgeted is $30k. So..no, I can't look at a few pics and buy a house to live in for the rest of my life.

Thank you for stressing the need to move quickly, though. That is something I have to work on. I don't think I have a natural ability to handle this sort of thing, so it's difficult for me. I need to work on moving more quickly. But I think I do need to view the house in person to get the feel of the place, to see if I see myself living there.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:17 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Where is your desired location?

Old 12-27-2016, 04:34 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Well, the market's not THAT hot, actually. Most of the houses there take a month or more to sell. Some sell w/in the month It's just that most don't meet my criteria. But this one was apparently in a hot neighborhood and I didn't know it. My agent could have informed me of that (if she knew it), but she was out of town.

I now have a new agent (my third). Hopefully he'll be more helpful (I need all the help I can get). He also has done some remodeling, so can help w/general estimates for repairs and such.

See, I'm looking at older homes. I have to research zoning...measure the lot...do estimates for what I think are the repairs & upgrades needed. Because I don't have a limitless pocketbook. I can't afford to buy a house and then realize I have $50k of repairs & updates, and all I've budgeted is $30k. So..no, I can't look at a few pics and buy a house to live in for the rest of my life.

Thank you for stressing the need to move quickly, though. That is something I have to work on. I don't think I have a natural ability to handle this sort of thing, so it's difficult for me. I need to work on moving more quickly. But I think I do need to view the house in person to get the feel of the place, to see if I see myself living there.
Month to sell or month to close?

Old 12-27-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Month to sell or month to close?
Sell. The good ones seem to go under option or contract within the month...I don't follow them after that to see when they close. I assume it's the norm...30 or so days after "pending." Some are taken "off market" as soon as they sell, which are cash sales, I assume.

Others seem to go under option or contract between 1 and 2 months.

Problem houses (location or whatever) seem to take at least 3 months to go under k or option. If at all.

It is rare for something to sell within a week. I've seen it a few times. It's generally a low price property. I am thinking it's like this one: a low price (so many more people can buy it), but it's in good condition and a good neighborhood.

There is another one for sale in that general neighborhood, but it's an investor property and has been on the market for at least 2 months...maybe longer. It's a less desirable part of the area, I guess. But mainly it has painted exterior brick: that's a red flag for investor property, and a lot of people don't like painted brick, incl. me. It, too, is a low price and is in good condition. It is lived in by renters currently.

It's low priced, but higher priced than the one I just lost out on, despite having a smaller lot and being in a less desirable part of that area. Still, nice house. But then I'm stuck with painted exterior brick, which I hate. Can I live with that? I don't know. It adds to the cost of upkeep, too. It will need to be re-painted periodically. Investors paint their houses light gray quite often, for some reason, which is what this one is.

I'll go see it and see the general condition in person.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooks1976 View Post
What is the distance between where you live and where you are buying? We will be looking next year on the east coast, so will probably buy sight unseen.
4 to 4 1/2 hour drive. Not too far. But painful for someone who hates to travel, and too far to come back the same day. I'm also worn out and burnt out from house hunting, so I hate the thought of traveling to go see houses (again) that won't work out.

The danger of house hunting for so long is the toll it takes on a person. I am getting more and more discouraged, and less and less energetic and enthusiastic about looking.

I can't buy a house sight unseen and get stuck with it. Too often the house I see in person looks very different than the pics. I can't afford to move again, so this is it for me. The final move. But maybe I can do the option thing where I can back out in a week, for $100 and the cost of a hotel for a week (total $1k?...because I have 2 dogs).

Old 12-27-2016, 10:55 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:

But you wouldn't be stuck with it. You could back out over the inspection.

So the problem with constantly changing agents is that you MUST have an agent that knows what you will like. They only learn this by going into homes with you. Then when one comes up, they walk in, if it looks good, they take video/face time you, and you write an offer contingent on a home inspection.

You can't just hire a door opener. You need to hire an agent that knows how to figure out what clients want. I hope this agent works for you.

All of that said, homes taking a month to sell is not a hot market. That is ample time to get into a home to see it for yourself. You don't have to drive up to see every house. You only need to drive to see the ones your agent says are good potential fits for you.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:08 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I have some sympathy. It's extremely difficult to buy from out of the area.

Because you are buying out of your area, you must be planning to move to the new location. In that case, so ahead and move and rent some place long enough to learn what the different neighborhoods are, so you know what is desirable and what is not. Then you can view all the new listings and you will be in abetter position to determine costs to renovate.

Unless you are buying a total wreck, it is not likely that you will get enough off of the priice to do a $50,000 kitchen renovation. What you see is what you get, and you can get some off for structural repairs, but not a whole lot off because you don't like the kitchen counters.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:16 AM

993 posts, read 766,406 times
Quote:
4 to 4 1/2 hour drive. Not too far. But painful for someone who hates to travel, and too far to come back the same day. I'm also worn out and burnt out from house hunting, so I hate the thought of traveling to go see houses (again) that won't work out.

The danger of house hunting for so long is the toll it takes on a person. I am getting more and more discouraged, and less and less energetic and enthusiastic about looking.

I can't buy a house sight unseen and get stuck with it. Too often the house I see in person looks very different than the pics. I can't afford to move again, so this is it for me. The final move. But maybe I can do the option thing where I can back out in a week, for $100 and the cost of a hotel for a week (total $1k?...because I have 2 dogs).
I'm sure this has occurred to you, but what about renting in your new location for a year before you buy? That could be tough with the dogs though. And it would be more costly at least initially. And two moves is no fun.

But this way you could slow down a bit. Get to know a realtor....and they get to know you. You could familiarize yourself with local businesses/contractors. It would minimize the chances of having serious buyers remorse with your new home.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:28 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
I have to add one suggestion.

Make SURE you have an excellent agent. Go through the listings of recent sales and find out which one or two have sold and listed many properties lately. That speaks for them usually.

Starving agents will talk a fine talk, but you can't trust them to do their best job for you, their client. They just want a sale. Good agents know the better areas of town and will show you comparables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate