Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 07:38 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
Not to pre-empt the person you're asking, but I have some experience in blitz-style house hunting.

I find looking at houses exhausting. It's essential to get enough sleep and eat a good breakfast. Try to get your real estate agent to let you stop for a quick lunch (some will schedule showings right through the lunch hour).

The houses will all blur together after a while, so make lots of notes on each listing sheet the agent provides. You will be amazed at how little you recall of the first house you saw, until you read, "Cr@ppy master bedroom/loved the yard," or something like.

Sellers may cancel showings with little warning. Then, you and your agent will be high and dry till the next showing. Make notes, go over your notes, ask the agent questions...anything so as not to waste this bit of found time.

The big advantage of the "blitz" method is that your brain is constantly comparing and learning, even when you are not aware of it. After steadily viewing houses in your chosen location/price range, the "standard" house in that range will become apparent to you - and the "gems" and "dogs" will stand out.

Good luck. Something tells me you're an energetic, spirited person who will power through this hard time.
I did the blitz when we relocated. I had one afternoon to find a house since the one we agreed to fell apart just before I was heading home. I took hundreds of photos and made a lot of notes. I got a laser measurer to measure rooms.....that was my one chance to do it. I also made notes in my notebook about what each room was and where it was so it all made sense with the photos. My husband and I bought the house based on my notes and the photos. He never saw the house in person until a few hours before the closing. He was amazed at how well I conveyed all the info to him with photos and notes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 07:40 PM

39 posts, read 29,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Does you husband hold a lot of power in your city or state?

Something is fishy.

Not at all. He co-owns a car dealership.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:52 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Divorce is sometimes defined as the screwing you get for the screwing you got.

File this under "sad but true."

Old 01-12-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I would not look to buy a new house once this one sells. I would look for a decent apartment and a job. Yes, it will be challenging finding a job given your situation. Maybe it's time to go to school and learn some skills or a trade. By renting, you will have saved that money from the sale of the house and can use it to pay tuition or classes to educate yourself. Be realistic about your budget. You probably will have to move to another town. It is NOT the end of the world! You will recover from this!
Thank you for the positive vibes! That's a good suggestion except that I can't move to another town and retain 50% custody of my son. And he's my #1 priority. The divorce has been hard on him and he has a lot of anxiety. I'll figure out a way. You're right, it's not the end of the world. Many people are in far worse situations than mine. I'm grateful for the things I do have....can't put a price on family.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:04 PM

I'm totally with you gemmom, and very sorry you ended in this situation. I am very saddened.

I wish I had some positive ideas for you. Best I can do right now is send positive vibes your way. I hope it will work out for you. I'll follow your topic and chime in if I have any ideas.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Divorce is sometimes defined as the screwing you get for the screwing you got.

File this under "sad but true."
You got that right!!

Old 01-13-2017, 06:42 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
And have spouse die.

Warning: wait for natural death.
This is untrue. Spouse or Ex-Spouse doesn't need to die.

If you were married 10 years or more and divorce, you can collect 50% of ex-spouses Social Security Benefits, at time of retirement age, UNLESS YOU REMARRY. Ex-spouse can be alive(and can even remarry) and ex spouse would be collecting his own social security benefit. His ss check doesn't impact your 50% and vice versa. If you remarry, you don't get to collect the 50% but I think if you do remarry and divorce again that you can collect the 50% of the first spouse in that case. But I am not 100% sure.

Lots of former spouses do not remarry specifically so they can get the 50% Social Security check of ex-spouse.

I posted about this already(farther up in same thread) and at that time posted a link to the Social Security Administration on this subject. Google has tons of info about it too.

Here's the link again:
https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/divspouse.html

Old 01-13-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If you were married 10 years or more and divorce, you can collect 50% of ex-spouses Social Security Benefits, at time of retirement age, UNLESS YOU REMARRY.
Thank you for your correction of my misunderstanding the laws.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
This is untrue. Spouse or Ex-Spouse doesn't need to die.

If you were married 10 years or more and divorce, you can collect 50% of ex-spouses Social Security Benefits, at time of retirement age, UNLESS YOU REMARRY. Ex-spouse can be alive(and can even remarry) and ex spouse would be collecting his own social security benefit. His ss check doesn't impact your 50% and vice versa. If you remarry, you don't get to collect the 50% but I think if you do remarry and divorce again that you can collect the 50% of the first spouse in that case. But I am not 100% sure.

Lots of former spouses do not remarry specifically so they can get the 50% Social Security check of ex-spouse.

I posted about this already(farther up in same thread) and at that time posted a link to the Social Security Administration on this subject. Google has tons of info about it too.

Here's the link again:
https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/divspouse.html
Yes, I knew about Social Security. Thanks!

Old 01-14-2017, 01:38 AM

193 posts, read 169,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Are you sure you are not entitled to any other marital assets after 20 years even with the prenup?
Top 10 Reasons a Premarital Agreement May be Invalid - FindLaw

But if the agreement is so grossly unfair that one party would face severe financial hardship while the other prospered, the court is unlikely to enforce it. Basically, "unconscionable" contracts are generally found invalid, and premarital agreements are no exception.
How about getting a job instead of asking for freebies? I mean, Women can do everything a man can if not BETTER right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate