Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2017, 01:26 PM

991 posts, read 1,519,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
OP said she owns it, but she rents it out.?
It is not rented out, it is vacant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 02:25 PM

16,272 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
OP said she owns it, but she rents it out. It's still her property and she is there as a private property owner, not in a professional capacity.
I get that, I was responding to your post saying " No one wants to come home and see a stranger walking around their property and in their driveway." I agree she was not acting as an agent, I was addressing your position that the OP should have notified the owner of the property first. Again he/she was not expecting the owner to show up and why call ahead of time an invite a possible confrontation?

Old 01-18-2017, 02:44 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I get that, I was responding to your post saying " No one wants to come home and see a stranger walking around their property and in their driveway." I agree she was not acting as an agent, I was addressing your position that the OP should have notified the owner of the property first. Again he/she was not expecting the owner to show up and why call ahead of time an invite a possible confrontation?

I just would. If I were sending someone into her driveway, which is what happened (so it's not like he was out surveying the back 40), I;d have just considered it decent to give a head's up. If it's part of his land, he needs to let her know anyway, so why not from the beginning?

If I owned a piece of property, whether I lived there or not, and drove up to see a strange man walking in my driveway I'd start out being in fight or flight, so chances are I'd react badly even once I realized what he was doing. No, it wasn't required, I'm just saying I would have, because it is in my best interest to get along with my neighbors and I would want to be notified if it were me. I'd want to know if a neighbor suspected the property lines weren't drawn right and he thought some of it were his, and I'd want to know this answer too, so therefore I would handle it that way myself.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:06 PM

323 posts, read 376,611 times
Quote:
I just would. If I were sending someone into her driveway, which is what happened (so it's not like he was out surveying the back 40), I;d have just considered it decent to give a head's up. If it's part of his land, he needs to let her know anyway, so why not from the beginning?

If I owned a piece of property, whether I lived there or not, and drove up to see a strange man walking in my driveway I'd start out being in fight or flight, so chances are I'd react badly even once I realized what he was doing. No, it wasn't required, I'm just saying I would have, because it is in my best interest to get along with my neighbors and I would want to be notified if it were me. I'd want to know if a neighbor suspected the property lines weren't drawn right and he thought some of it were his, and I'd want to know this answer too, so therefore I would handle it that way myself.
Generally a surveyor should be sending out notifications that they'll be surveying the shared parcel line anyway. I generally do so and offer a copy of the map at the cost of reproduction if they would like a copy for review.

A certain amount of blame can be placed on the surveyor for not going through some basic professional courtesy. Even though landowners can't stop you from accessing their property to perform a survey (in my state at least), I'd rather be there with permission, however grudgingly, than wind up shot.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:12 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
If a UPS driver on his own time, in his own car, won't let you into traffic or takes the parking spot you were going for and you get in a big argument over it, should you be able to get him fired from UPS since it had to do with driving a vehicle? You see the stretch you're trying to make?
I think a better analogy is you see a UPS driver drop off a package but then steal someone's mail. Sure, ultimately it is a police matter, but they probably shouldn't be in that job.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:16 PM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Yup, but there needs to be an angle that "protects the public", not a simple dispute. You can pull an agent's license for a DUI, since they really need to drive to use that license - a drunk agent could hurt the public. That's different than "my landlord is an agent and they charged me for carpet that wasn't damaged".. //not saying this dispute doesn't fit the mold for protecting the public, just that it isn't a "moral" issue or an "ethics" issue - if a crime was committed, that's enough, no need to muddy the waters by talking about things that aren't material.. Like "oaths" that don't exist.
Not so. If I have a foreclosure, I'm unemployed, I can't get bonded. My foreclosure isn't hurting the public. The OP filed a police report. If she repeats the action and subsequently gets arrested for trespassing on the neighbor (not the general public) E & O can refuse her. And, they don't have to have convictions, she can be denied coverage. If she is a Realtor, she most certainly agreed to abide by a particular standard of behavior. Realtors do care about their image and others that smear it, others may not, but they do.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:40 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I do not understand why she was reported to her broker. If my neighbor acts like a crazy person and causes me problems, I would never dream of reporting them to their boss/supervisor. However I would report them to the police possibly.
I think it was reasonable of the OP to report the real estate agent because realtors have studied surveying and land rights and laws and as stated above, has agreed to abide by standards of behavior, and for the neighboring realtor to go berserk and to interfere with a lawful survey was outrageous behavior.

People need to be protected from incompetent realtors, and also from thieves.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:49 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:

But isn't the issue that it was not the absent realtor-owner's driveway, since it had been built on the OP's property?

It seems like the best time to survey the property is when the neighbor, who does not live on the property, is absent, since it appears it is strongly suspected that the property lines were incorrect.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I think a better analogy is you see a UPS driver drop off a package but then steal someone's mail. Sure, ultimately it is a police matter, but they probably shouldn't be in that job.
No that is not a good analogy because in yours, he IS representing UPS, he is at work, he is in his uniform....this lady was not, she was on her own time on her own property. She was acting as a private citizen, not as a realtor or any sort of professional capacity.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
But isn't the issue that it was not the absent realtor-owner's driveway, since it had been built on the OP's property?

It seems like the best time to survey the property is when the neighbor, who does not live on the property, is absent, since it appears it is strongly suspected that the property lines were incorrect.
These things are actually common, mistakes get made when the homes are being built, it could have been drawn 65 years ago for all anyone knows. It's no one's fault and no reason at all to think she knew. Most people do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate