Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 08:59 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeshee1 View Post
So if anyone is still wondering... I got a call from the ex's father yesterday. He was able to pin him down, get him to sign it and have it notarized, and is dropping it off to the lawyer in the mail today. I suppose all I need to do now is sign my end, have them notarize it, and they'll file it with the city/clerk to update the paperwork on their end. This process was MUCH easier and smoother than expected, but that's ALL thanks to his father who was incredibly kind, helpful, and determined to get this taken care of for me. I am thankful to everyone here for your advice and well wishes. Now onward and upward from here.
That's good news. Congratulations.

(There's probably nothing that you'll need to sign relating to the Quit Claim Deed--signatures are required of Grantors. Just have your lawyer make sure that it gets recorded and you should be good to go...er, sell.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 09:06 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Glad to hear this! Please consider doing something nice for the father - even if it's just a nice thank you note. Knowing how his son lives is causing him A LOT of emotional pain.

(Just had a thought. If you have a nice photo of the son, from before he went off the rails, consider putting it in a nice frame and giving it to dad as a thank you gift.)

Old 02-14-2017, 09:10 AM

163 posts, read 171,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Glad to hear this! Please consider doing something nice for the father - even if it's just a nice thank you note. Knowing how his son lives is causing him A LOT of emotional pain.

(Just had a thought. If you have a nice photo of the son, from before he went off the rails, consider putting it in a nice frame and giving it to dad as a thank you gift.)
Yes! I definitely plan to send him a thank you. And his wife (the ex's mother) has been battling cancer for about 2-3 years now, so on top of dealing with his son's issues, I was surprised he got it done for me so quickly. His parents were always so good to me, losing them as a second family was really the biggest loss. I am forever grateful to him for helping me with this so fast. He said, "It's just one more thing you have hanging over your head that keeps you up at night so we needed to get that off the list." What an awesome person he is.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:38 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
This would have been settled in a divorce settlement.
Someone stated there was no marriage.

As Judge Judy says to unwed couples who break up.........." we have a system in place to divide up properties after a divorce. People who are " almost married"....." don't believe in marriage"...." just want to play house ".......then want solutions from courts after they break up.

Yes, indeed !
From what the OP has posted, it was wise for her to not marry him.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:39 AM

858 posts, read 1,807,581 times
Great to know the situation is solved!

I agree with the Thank You note to the parents. It is a very difficult situation for them!

Old 02-14-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
From what the OP has posted, it was wise for her to not marry him.
Yes it was. The lawyer actually said the fact that we were NOT married made it easier in several ways, but I won't get into it. It was definitely a wise choice for me to bow out before I did something so stupid. I knew better. It just took me too long to get out of it, but that's another story.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:53 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Yes it was. The lawyer actually said the fact that we were NOT married made it easier in several ways, but I won't get into it. It was definitely a wise choice for me to bow out before I did something so stupid. I knew better. It just took me too long to get out of it, but that's another story.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes.
My relationship with my sons father was similar. Not being married when we split is the only thing that allowed me to come out unscathed.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
My relationship with my sons father was similar. Not being married when we split is the only thing that allowed me to come out unscathed.
Ditto.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:59 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
So if anyone is still wondering... I got a call from the ex's father yesterday. He was able to pin him down, get him to sign it and have it notarized, and is dropping it off to the lawyer in the mail today. I suppose all I need to do now is sign my end, have them notarize it, and they'll file it with the city/clerk to update the paperwork on their end. This process was MUCH easier and smoother than expected, but that's ALL thanks to his father who was incredibly kind, helpful, and determined to get this taken care of for me. I am thankful to everyone here for your advice and well wishes. Now onward and upward from here.
Congratulatons.

Nice when one of these messy things comes out right...And thank your lawyer as well as the father...good job there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate