Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 07:19 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Sometimes the decor makes you wonder...

I don't know where to begin with this one. The kitchen, the rustic living room that looks out of place, the stairs painted different colors (background in picture 11), the creepy doll in picture 16, the valance all the way around the bedroom in 15, the beach (picture 18).
5603 Newberry Rd, Durand, MI 48429 - realtor.com®
It's a nice looking home and looks worth the asking price, but the decorating choices are strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 07:30 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I know a wall of mirrors will make a room look larger, but mirrors everywhere sounds like a mental problem.

When we bought this house the bathroom had a mirror that covered the entire wall including behind the toilet. As a female I didn't care but my husband and sons didn't like watching themselves. It made me wonder about the previous owners and what the heck they were thinking when they installed that...

The mirrored wall the first thing to come down.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:37 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merewenc View Post
When house hunting in Maryland, we saw a "five bedroom, two bathroom" house, a long driveway and two car garage, for $400K in an affluent area. That should have been our FIRST clue, but the pictures made it just look outdated but with an updated kitchen, so whatever, right? Then we got to the house.

Going in through the front door and you're in a large living room space. Not so bad. There was a single hall that led from the middle of that room, with some sort of alcove off to one side that we didn't explore yet. On one side of the hall was one bedroom and a bathroom, outdated and not attached. On the other side of the hall was one bedroom with a door on the right-hand wall. Open the door and BAM. You're in ANOTHER living room space, with a vintage 1950s kitchen and a small eating area off to one side. The ONLY way to get to that part of the house was through the bedroom. There was no dishwasher, although the listing mentioned one, and we'd only seen two bedrooms, so we went off to find the the other bedrooms and see where they might have stashed a dishwasher--away from the kitchen?

No. Going back through the bedroom and down the hall, we decided to take a look at the walled-off alcove. A TINY kitchen had been built there, with apartment-size appliances including a tiny dishwasher--whatever filter the realtor taking those pictures used LIED, even worse than usual! The fridge was practically a mini fridge. I've never seen any that size sold in the US, ever, but there WAS a dishwasher that could fit maybe four plates, a couple bowls and cups, and a handful of utensils at most.

This "kitchen" hid a door at the back of the space. It led to a set of steep stairs with a third bedroom at the bottom off of a small hall. At the other end of the hall, which was maybe five feet long, was the washer-dryer hook up space (but only if you stacked) and the water heater and HVAC unit. We were about to give up on bedrooms four and five when my husband realized that you could SQUEEZE past the water heater/HVAC set up (as long as you didn't have much extra weight on you--like no more than twenty extra pounds) to an open space beyond. Apparently the hallway (?) continued at that point, and there were the other two "bedrooms" and a minuscule bathroom, none of which had egress windows or closets.

We were pretty sure of four things. The basement finishing was in no way legal/permitted, so MD either has sketchy listing rules or the broker was a bit rogue. The house would NEVER have passed the inspection/appraisal process for VA. The house needed a to-the-studs gutting and redesign. And that house was DEFINITELY a human trafficking and/or druggie haven.
Omg, I have dreams about houses like that! Go through one kitchen and there's another one. The first has no dishwasher, the second has two stoves. Or the cabinets are installed in the middle of the floor instead of against the wall. Weird stuff. I start thinking about how to renovate so this makes sense, then I realize there is a third kitchen that has something else weird about it somewhere else. Sometimes I've bought the house and realize I shouldn't have, sometimes it's my old house that I forgot to sell before I moved to my new house. There are always repairs to be made or things to pack. I wish I knew what the multiple kitchen thing meant....

Old 01-30-2017, 08:46 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,210 times
I toured a house where one of the inhabitants fancied him, or her, self a great artist in the Renaissance style. Hand drawn, full-figured, nudes (women) on the walls and ceiling of the master bedroom. So, maybe thought Michael Angelo was onto something good, too.

The realtor was horrified. Literally walking in confused circles like she couldn't remember where the door was. Her reaction made me laugh more.

Who leaves their coloring on the walls?

Old 01-30-2017, 09:05 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,731,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
It's a nice looking home and looks worth the asking price, but the decorating choices are strange.
I don't know how the market is doing exactly in that county, but if it is like the surrounding counties, it will go quick. It is in a very rural town where you pretty much have to commute 45 minutes for a decent job which is why things are a so affordable. I've been so bored due to the lack of inventory in my area, I've started looking at nearby counties to see how prices compare, which is how I stumbled on this decent house with eclectic decor.

I originally missed that they didn't close up the kitchen window when they added the addition on. You can see from the desk into the kitchen, lol. And the drywall isn't all the way finished. However, that could be a blessing since the new owners will have a blank canvass.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:29 PM

213 posts, read 698,097 times
Back in 2005, my folks were looking to purchase an income/rental property near Lake Erie around Sandusky, Ohio- close to Cedar Point, Put-In-Bay islands, the boating life, etc. They wanted to take advantage of the tourist season in the summer.

So they find a property advertised online that was a mere 15 minutes from Sandusky- in Oak Harbor, Ohio. It was a recently built, two story condo with 3 bedroom and 2.5 bath. Great contemporary floor plan. The community was just as nice: 1.) private beach 2.) lagoon with boat ramps 3.) lake access 4.) private pool. The kicker- all for only $175,000!

We gave the realtor/sales rep a call to see what the catch was. No catch! We schedule an appointment for a viewing, plug the address into our Garmin, and set out for our hour long road trip to Oak Harbor.

Here's the thing... Living about an hour EAST of Cedar Point- our family had never really traveled too far directly to the WEST of it. So we were not overly familiar with the area at all.

It never really popped into our heads what a big surprise was in store for us until we got to be about 5 min from our destination on the GPS. But there it stood, in all it's glory not a much more than a mere mile from our condo complex ...

The Davis Besse Power plant. We turned around and went back home- didn't even bother with the appointment.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:41 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
Back in 2005, my folks were looking to purchase an income/rental property near Lake Erie around Sandusky, Ohio- close to Cedar Point, Put-In-Bay islands, the boating life, etc. They wanted to take advantage of the tourist season in the summer.

So they find a property advertised online that was a mere 15 minutes from Sandusky- in Oak Harbor, Ohio. It was a recently built, two story condo with 3 bedroom and 2.5 bath. Great contemporary floor plan. The community was just as nice: 1.) private beach 2.) lagoon with boat ramps 3.) lake access 4.) private pool. The kicker- all for only $175,000!

We gave the realtor/sales rep a call to see what the catch was. No catch! We schedule an appointment for a viewing, plug the address into our Garmin, and set out for our hour long road trip to Oak Harbor.

Here's the thing... Living about an hour EAST of Cedar Point- our family had never really traveled too far directly to the WEST of it. So we were not overly familiar with the area at all.

It never really popped into our heads what a big surprise was in store for us until we got to be about 5 min from our destination on the GPS. But there it stood, in all it's glory not a much more than a mere mile from our condo complex ...

The Davis Besse Power plant. We turned around and went back home- didn't even bother with the appointment.

That's why GoogleMaps was invented.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:56 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
actually I don't see a bad house at all. As for the "creepy doll" thats MAXINE!!! They like BLUE, but that's no biggie.

Not all of us care about the latest trends in decorating..... so long as it is not blindingly obnoxious, it is fine by me!!

Old 01-31-2017, 07:19 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Oh I remember another strange home I looked at. The listing was bizarre. It said it was a 2/1 that could be converted into 5 bedrooms. They had already enclosed a car port, I guess that was bedroom #3 (but it was had no door to connect it to the house) , and the back semi enclosed porch would have been bedroom 4 and 5 I guess.

The bathroom was tiny, it was the smallest bathroom I had ever seen, and I had lived in a little bungalow near the beach with a tiny bathroom that was the size of queen bed, but this one was smaller. It was only as wide as a small tub and if you sat on the toilet your knees would touch the bathtub.

Also the stove was kind of in the middle of the kitchen, not exactly an island but a small pony wall was built next to it, if you open the oven you would almost be touching the cupboard under the sink. The 2 bedrooms and living room were small too, the only good thing it has was that it was concrete block and it also had a family room open to the kitchen with a fireplace, not that it's needed in south Florida.

Another bad thing was that most of the neighbors lived in mobile homes, it was only one of 3 real houses on that block, but it was in a small city but considered a rural area, it did sell a few months after I saw it, another odd thing was that it had central heat but no AC in south Florida. It had jalousie windows so a window AC would have been harder to put in and cutting thru the concrete blocks for a wall unit would have been a problem too.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:39 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
We looked at one little house that was advertised as three bedrooms. One of the bedrooms was actually a closet. It was too small for any furniture and there was no bed. The realtor showed us how a panel in the wall opens up and a bed on wheels slides out. But the wall was an outside wall. Looking outside, they had built a box for the bed to slide into.

The house we ended up buying, they did not want to let us inside because it was so messy. We eventually got inside and it was an unbelievable mess. They were rebuilding a motorcycle in the front parlor. A bedroom was full of boxes labels "heads" "arms" "eyes" "hair" (doll parts). There were rooms that were so full of stuff we could not see the room. There were light fixtures and closets they did not even know where there. The upstairs sleeping porch had been enclosed in the 1940s and made into an apartment for military personnel. The sink had dirty dishes in it. We asked if the sink works and they said they did not know. The dishes where there as far back as they could remember (potentially back into the 1950s). The bathroom for the sleeping porch apartment did not work and was full of stuff including a small piano. We moved enough stuff to open the medicine cabinet, and it was full of products from the 1950s or possibly the 1940s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate