Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2008, 10:34 AM

146 posts, read 884,024 times

Advertisements

As a seller, if a buyer presents an offer and basically says "this is it" and that they will not be making any other offers, etc. - do you still counter?

We recently made an offer on a home and agreed that this would be our only offer, no counters, etc. Our agent said that she told this to the seller's agent.

We have not yet heard back as apparently the seller is out of the country on business. Should we anticipate that the seller will still counter? I really just want a yes or no answer since we don't want to negotiate back and forth - we gave our best offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 10:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
I would still counter. The worse that can happen is a "no". I've been told before that this was the last offer only to counter and have it accepted. The only thing about doing that is I was careful in my counter to be fairly close to the supposed last offer.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:28 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
I have had many sellers counter with a take it or leave it, and most just tend to reject them, unless it is a decent offer. Most take it or leave it's tend to be really low.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:42 AM

I think our offer was fair for the house. It needs several improvements/updating and is overpriced for the area (it has been on the market nearly a year).

So, if we gave a take it or leave it offer and the seller decides to try to counter, and we say no, can they then just decide to say okay, I'll take it? I'm guessing they can, but does that change the procedure at all?

Old 03-02-2008, 02:01 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcaamyg View Post
I think our offer was fair for the house. It needs several improvements/updating and is overpriced for the area (it has been on the market nearly a year).

So, if we gave a take it or leave it offer and the seller decides to try to counter, and we say no, can they then just decide to say okay, I'll take it? I'm guessing they can, but does that change the procedure at all?
I think the door should always be open to negotiation. When you give people an ultimatum, such as a take it or leave it offer, the seller may may not bother countering because you've told them that this is the final price. So why should they bother countering if they don't want to accept your final offer?

If you have lots of properties that you want to make offers on, and don't really care if you get a particular house, then that's ok to give offers that way. It will save you time. It shouldn't matter to you if the seller counters because you aren't going to negotiate anyway. So once the time for acceptance has passed, then just go on to the next one.

I've found that leaving room for negotiating is more productive because it gives both parties time to find out what the other parties need and to work at some mutually acceptable solution.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:24 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,236 times
As a seller I didn't counter if a buyer said their offer was final. I respected their right to say 'take it or leave it'. In my experience these were always lowballs but YMMV.
If you haven't heard back, you can assume it's a 'no'. Their agent will get in touch with you if that's not the case. I wouldn't worry about it, but move along.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:31 PM

Yes, we have spoken with the seller's agent and she says he has not even seen the offer because she can't get ahold of him since he is out of the country. We'll just see what happens, that's all we can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate