U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:01 AM

56 posts, read 205,019 times

Advertisements

if you are a buyer???? I was wondering, we are interested in 4 properties and really want the best "deal", we could be happy at any of the four??

What is the protocol???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 09:07 AM

14,874 posts, read 38,392,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceman View Post
if you are a buyer???? I was wondering, we are interested in 4 properties and really want the best "deal", we could be happy at any of the four??

What is the protocol???
If you put in four bids/contracts one for each house and they are ALL accepted you just purchased yourself 4 houses.

Do you have a realtor? Your realtor should be able to guide you thru the process.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:18 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,293,441 times
Better hire a realtor on this one

Old 03-03-2008, 09:20 AM

8,191 posts, read 28,837,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
If you put in four bids/contracts one for each house and they are ALL accepted you just purchased yourself 4 houses.
This is correct. Pick the house you like the most and make a fair offer. If it does not fly move on to the next one.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:30 AM

5,460 posts, read 6,132,253 times
Agree with the previous advice except for the "fair" offer part. If all four houses are the same to you (more or less), it can't hurt to try a few low offers and see what sticks. Worst case is you offend the seller and have to move on to your other choices at a slightly higher offer price.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:46 PM

353 posts, read 1,582,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Agree with the previous advice except for the "fair" offer part. If all four houses are the same to you (more or less), it can't hurt to try a few low offers and see what sticks. Worst case is you offend the seller and have to move on to your other choices at a slightly higher offer price.
Yeah, but you only submit one offer at a time unless it is your intent to buy two or more houses.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:48 PM

469 posts, read 1,379,731 times
It is customary and the polite thing to only offer on one home at a time. However, there are addendums that you can add to a contract that makes it safe to offer on more than one house at a time. Alot of investors due it. If you are to take part in this practice make sure you have a realtor with lots of experience with using these clauses or have a lawyer write one up for your agent to add to each contract. Good luck.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:24 PM

2,408 posts, read 10,005,033 times
How many houses are you planning on buying?

Old 03-05-2008, 03:21 PM

56 posts, read 205,019 times
Thanks for the responses. I feel pretty STOOOOPID for asking this. My wife and I are first time buyers. We have a really good realtor and we made AN offer on a place on Monday. Already countered and we resubmit an offer. Waiting on a response again. This is nerve wracking to say the least!! We offered about 18% less than what the builder was asking. Does this seem reasonable??? It is a condo/new construction.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:49 PM

2,408 posts, read 10,005,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceman View Post
Thanks for the responses. I feel pretty STOOOOPID for asking this. My wife and I are first time buyers. We have a really good realtor and we made AN offer on a place on Monday. Already countered and we resubmit an offer. Waiting on a response again. This is nerve wracking to say the least!! We offered about 18% less than what the builder was asking. Does this seem reasonable??? It is a condo/new construction.
It'd be more stupid not to ask. As far as whether 18% is considered an unreasonable lowball, It will depend on your specific location. Your realtor can advise on that. Is it an inventory house (i.e. is it already built and just sitting there)? That would make a difference. You can negotiate more on inventory homes (since they are just sitting there costing the builder money to hold it) than if it is pre-construction.

I'm glad you have a good realtor and wish you much success in your negotiations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or