Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 01:16 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times

Advertisements

One of our agents had a client who she had sold th to and at one point they called her to list their house. All of sudden before the papers were signed they told her they had a neighbor who wanted to buy their home and they were handling it themselves with a contract they found online.

The seller told the title company she wanted to hold the escrow herself and seller thought it was a walk in the park. Until the inspections showed something that buyer didn't like and buyer backed out and escrow was already used by seller and seller refused to give it back.

Seller and buyer both got a crash course related to arguments and legal issues and it was interesting to hear the mess they got themselves into after both parties he said that this was such an ideal situation to sell to neighbor who was a tenant living next door.

We later sold the house for the seller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 02:56 PM

329 posts, read 470,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
One of our agents had a client who she had sold th to and at one point they called her to list their house. All of sudden before the papers were signed they told her they had a neighbor who wanted to buy their home and they were handling it themselves with a contract they found online.

The seller told the title company she wanted to hold the escrow herself and seller thought it was a walk in the park. Until the inspections showed something that buyer didn't like and buyer backed out and escrow was already used by seller and seller refused to give it back.

Seller and buyer both got a crash course related to arguments and legal issues and it was interesting to hear the mess they got themselves into after both parties he said that this was such an ideal situation to sell to neighbor who was a tenant living next door.

We later sold the house for the seller.
I have no problems paying a Realtor or Lawyer.. I just think 4% is way to much to pay for us handing him a buyer.. He would not even have to list it.. Just do the paperwork... we are selling it AS IS..

I would pay about 6000.00 for that, not 16,000.00

Old 02-18-2017, 06:22 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therese marie View Post
Long story short, we have a house to sell..The neighbor expressed an interest to buy it for his family.. We want to sell it AS IS as it needs about 50K to fix up .. he knows that.. ( we inherited it )
We have not signed with an agent yet, but spoke to a Realtor friend who we were going to have list it later.. Waiting for tenant to move out next month.
We asked him since we found a buyer, how much would his fees be to help do all tthhee paperwork and cost? He said 4% since he has to represent us both..
So I am kinda confused.. Would it be cheaper to just hire a real estate lawyer and draw up papers selling it AS IS to the neighbor .. assuming it was a all cash sale right..

This is our retirement so we need to get the most we can get.

Since you already have the buyer defending on your state laws you may only need

A RE lawyer
Or
A escrow and title company

The buyer has to get his own lender. You would simply write up the sales contract as in what you agree to as far as sale price, concessions, etc.

Agents aren't needed to sell a house but most use them simply due to different reasons. Some are intimidated by the process, some don't want to deal with it, or don't have the time for it, etc.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:53 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
Quote:
Long story short, we have a house to sell..The neighbor expressed an interest to buy it for his family.. We want to sell it AS IS as it needs about 50K to fix up .. he knows that.. ( we inherited it )
We have not signed with an agent yet, but spoke to a Realtor friend who we were going to have list it later.. Waiting for tenant to move out next month.
We asked him since we found a buyer, how much would his fees be to help do all tthhee paperwork and cost? He said 4% since he has to represent us both..
So I am kinda confused.. Would it be cheaper to just hire a real estate lawyer and draw up papers selling it AS IS to the neighbor .. assuming it was a all cash sale right..

Just out of curiosity, what was your retirement going to be BEFORE you inherited the house? Just wondering . . .

As an agent, I would not want to handle both sides of a deal -- too many opportunities for misunderstandings, and too many opportunities for both sides to feel that you are double-dealing behind their back. As an agent, you don't have anyone's trust in a situation like this.

Better to get an attorney to draw up the papers for you and be done with it.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Just out of curiosity, what was your retirement going to be BEFORE you inherited the house? Just wondering . . .
Work for 15 more years ...
My husband has a pension that will draw from this summer ..

Old 02-19-2017, 07:53 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
Quote:

The last time I sold a house I was in a situation similar yours. I had found a buyer and we had agreed to a price. I then hired a real estate lawyer and I had him do all the contracts and tell me and the buyer where to sign.

The entire deal cost me less than $500.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:02 PM

We just spoke to the neighbor and he is going to have to do a loan..
We want to just sell it as is..
Are we going to need a Realtor now for this transaction?
Does 3% sound fair?

Old 02-19-2017, 01:13 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
hire a real estate attorney to do paperwork and an attorney should know all that.

Call a few and ask them b4 you hire a real estate agent. when my mom died my brother wanted me to buy as is her home.

It did need a title 5 which was about 15,000 anyway for me as is for not so great. He did it for a buyer since it had to be done to sell.

you both need to lawyers etc to advise each side-

Last edited by maggiekate; 02-19-2017 at 01:25 PM..

Old 02-19-2017, 01:22 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Quote:
We want to just sell it as is..
Are we going to need a Realtor now for this transaction?
Does 3% sound fair?
The neighbor's loan is none of your business, and you should have no involvement in it.
However, if his lender does not approve the house for the asking price, the deal will not go through.
You need legal advice for writing the contract of sale; it should include the price, a statement of "No warranties expressed or implied, sold as is where is."
A real estate lawyer can also set up closing at the office of a Title Company.
after closing, the buyer walks away with 5 pounds of paper and the keys to the house.
the seller walks away with 5 pounds of paper, including a check or deposit slip.
Talk to a lawyer. You need guidance.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:24 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
We want to just sell it as is..Are we going to need a Realtor now for this transaction?
That depends on your neigbors ability to get a loan on his own.
One of the things that a BUYER's agent will do is assist the clueless through that process.

A loan also raises the specter of lender inspections and appraisals.

Quote:
Does 3% sound fair?
Paid to the BUYER's agent. Could happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate