Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 11:47 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times

Advertisements

Assuming by gut job you mean an HGTV style gut job replacing EVERYTHING but the studs, subfloors, and externals, you would probably be better off tearing down and building new. Then when you sell you won't have such a mishmash of older exterior and new interior.

Keep in mind those stainless appliances won't be worth anything to a buyer 5-10 years from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 12:49 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_home View Post
In Massachusetts, about 40 minutes South of Boston. Somewhere between suburban and rural.

It is bank owned out of foreclosure. Place looks like it is in pretty bad shape. I would have to plan for the worst. But I love the location, right on a full rec pond.

I wouldn't be looking to use super luxury appliances, finishes, etc. The area and market wouldn't justify it given I would plan to sell it in 5 to 10 years and move up to larger house. So investment considerations, too. Thinking more like a mid-way stainless steel appliance from a Lowes or Home Depot. Nice but towards the lower end cost wood flooring from a place like lumber liquidators throughout. Place has 4 bedrooms. I would probably remove one to make huge master. Only has one bathroom. I would add a second. Again, nothing ultra fancy - but walk in shower and separate tub in master. I could design second to be in close proximity to 1st, probably above/below on separate floors.

I would be working with a friend that is architect, so cost savings there. I have no building know-how, so I would think I would want to use a contractor and rely on the advice of my friend that is architect and experienced in building projects.
In Massachusetts? No way. Count on twice that.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:51 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
I spent $210K done over four winters where I wasn't in the house. I was expecting that $125K when I bought it. It would have been cheaper to tear it down. There were $85K worth of unplanned surprises. I did the whole thing out of cash flow. I got kind of tired of writing checks. It was better than Home Depot grade in the kitchen & bath but not Subzero/Viking. Old school oak hardwood flooring and wool carpet in the bedrooms. Skim coat on walls & ceilings. A forced hot water heated floor zone in the bathroom.

My best friend did all my work and didn't charge me for general contracting. This was 60 miles south of Boston where labor costs are lower. 20 miles closer to Boston and with a general contractor, there's no way I could have done it. I would have had no choice but to rip it down and start over.

The problem with that kind of remodeling is you'll never get the money back if you have to sell. I imagine I'd get back 30 cents on the dollar. It doesn't matter to me because I plan to own the house forever and it's all about location.

Last edited by GeoffD; 02-16-2017 at 01:02 PM..

Old 02-16-2017, 03:13 PM

910 posts, read 1,082,519 times
First off, I would NEVER remove a bedroom to extend the master bedroom. If this is what most consider an entry level home, bedrooms are gold. A family with small children will take an extra bedroom over a bigger master bedroom every time. Now I agree that a second bathroom would be nice, but it only needs to be a half bath, not a full bathroom. Those can be placed just about anywhere, I have seen closets converted to a half bath, I have also seen them under the staircase.

Costs are going to depend on what is used. Metal roof, or the cheapest asphalt? Cement board siding, or vinyl? Wood flooring and tile, or laminate and carpet? Wal-mart paint, or top of the line? The labor will be similar no matter what you use.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:23 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
what size is the lot? It sounds like a great location, why not plan to add on in 5-10 years with the equity you've presumably built up that would help pay for a larger house rather than selling and moving?

Old 02-16-2017, 08:45 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
First off, I would NEVER remove a bedroom to extend the master bedroom. If this is what most consider an entry level home, bedrooms are gold.
Meh. I did. I got rid of a tiny 3rd bedroom to make the kitchen big enough to hold a real table. I used the rest as an office alcove. I removed two load bearing walls to open up the space. Not that I'm ever going to sell it but in my zip code, this isn't a starter home. The market would be a professional couple with no children or empty nesters.

A shot of the table in the kitchen. It can be pulled away from the wall and expanded to seat 8.

And the 6'x10' office alcove off the master bedroom. It's all about creating the illusion of space in a small house.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:26 AM

39 posts, read 53,292 times
Here are some photos:
Attached Thumbnails
Full Gut Rehab of 1600 sqft house on 125k budget.  Possible?-ext-1.jpg   Full Gut Rehab of 1600 sqft house on 125k budget.  Possible?-ext-2.jpg   Full Gut Rehab of 1600 sqft house on 125k budget.  Possible?-int-1.jpg   Full Gut Rehab of 1600 sqft house on 125k budget.  Possible?-int-2.jpg   Full Gut Rehab of 1600 sqft house on 125k budget.  Possible?-int-3.jpg  

Full Gut Rehab of 1600 sqft house on 125k budget.  Possible?-int-4.jpg  

Old 02-17-2017, 11:22 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
That home should be demolished IMO.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:26 AM

39 posts, read 53,292 times
That is what my architect is saying too. But we haven't been in it yet. Gonna look at it next week. Just want to hear thoughts on trying to rehab it.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:41 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,802,734 times
You're budgeting about $80/sq ft. Around here, it would cost $140-180/sq ft, depending on the amenities, and things are a lot cheaper here than in MA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate