Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 08:42 AM

558 posts, read 434,795 times

Advertisements

Do you guys not do a final walk through a few days before closing? Almost anything could quit working in four months.

Just specify that it must work at time of final walk through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 08:09 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Off-topic from my original post but an FYI because I found it interesting:

All of this talk of home warranties made me curious, not for the seller but for myself. It turns out that this is not readily available in Canada. There are a few companies who will sell you warranties for a new (just-built) home. There is only one -- that I found -- that will sell you a warranty for a resale (previously owned) home. And that warranty doesn't cover things like appliances -- it only really includes four items: heating, cooling, roof, and foundation (and the latter two are insured by the condo association anyway). Also one of their exclusion notes ("Failure of items not due to normal wear and tear, including repairs or replacements required as a result of your failure to undertake cleaning and routine maintenance") made me think that even if I had such a warranty, and my a/c did die, that I'd be told that it falls under that exclusion (sorry! no soup for you!) and, really, since I wasn't in charge of its routine maintenance, I wouldn't have all the necessary paperwork to back it up. Yes, the sellers said that they did annual maintenance and, if they have any of the paperwork/receipts, they will leave it for me. But, really, I don't keep that sort of stuff for long, so it's possible/probable that they don't either. Before you say "well, of course the seller SAID...", I know. They could lie. I'm going to take it at face value, though. We're Canadian: if you bump into a Canadian, THEY will apologize to YOU. I know, I know, that's a generalization. And I know that the sellers could be lying. But I can't test the a/c until just before closing, so I'm choosing to have faith in the sellers and in the big piece of machinery.

Anyway, I thank you all for your input (especially you, Acajack) and I'm sorry for those of you who have suffered horror stories (only good times ahead, I hope, QuilterChick!). I signed my final paperwork today so the house is officially SOLD and I take possession in late spring. Hopefully, with central air that works like a freakin' champ!

Interesting. I personally have not had a warranty except for the builder's one year warranty when I bought new construction a couple of years ago. But I believe they are readily available throughout the US, and one or two companies even advertise regularly on TV. I know a couple of people who have been pleased with the benefits and consider it well worth the premium, but I've also heard many complaints. So they aren't a magic bullet or something, just an extra layer of protection. And in some markets, it seems to be reasonably common for a seller to throw one in as added incentive to get a sale.

In any case, glad that the timing will work out for you and hopefully everything will be fine.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:12 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
"How exactly are cars better today than 50 years ago ? "

I bought my first new car 53 years ago and my last one in 2011.

(and 7 in between)

The older ones needed tuneups ( plugs,points, ) and getting them to last 100,000 miles was an accomplishment.

The later cars I got and expected over 250,000 trouble free miles out of all my ones purchased lately.
You still haven't said how exactly cars are better today than 50 years ago. Personally, I start worrying about a vehicle once it hits 60-75K miles....that's when things start to break in my experience so I trade them in by then and get a brand new one.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:11 AM

3,252 posts, read 2,337,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You still haven't said how exactly cars are better today than 50 years ago. Personally, I start worrying about a vehicle once it hits 60-75K miles....that's when things start to break in my experience so I trade them in by then and get a brand new one.
Cars used to be like that, 40 or 50 years ago cars weren't reliable when they hit those mileages but that's not true anymore. All of our cars, for the last 20 years, have gone well over 200,000 miles with no major problems. One even hit 300k without problems but we figured it couldn't last forever so we got a new one.

Fifty years ago we had to worry all the time about our cars breaking down and that so rarely happens now. Growing up my parents' cars had electrical problems, universal joint problems, transmission problems, alternator problems, cluck problems, engine problems and radiator problems with the car overheating at random times. So many times we had to sit on the side of the road because something broke. Other than two flat tires over the last 25 years, I've never had any car breakdown. Cars are WAY more reliable now than they were 40 and 50 years ago. Ask your parents, they'll confirm it.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:29 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Cars used to be like that, 40 or 50 years ago cars weren't reliable when they hit those mileages but that's not true anymore. All of our cars, for the last 20 years, have gone well over 200,000 miles with no major problems. One even hit 300k without problems but we figured it couldn't last forever so we got a new one.

Fifty years ago we had to worry all the time about our cars breaking down and that so rarely happens now. Growing up my parents' cars had electrical problems, universal joint problems, transmission problems, alternator problems, cluck problems, engine problems and radiator problems with the car overheating at random times. So many times we had to sit on the side of the road because something broke. Other than two flat tires over the last 25 years, I've never had any car breakdown. Cars are WAY more reliable now than they were 40 and 50 years ago. Ask your parents, they'll confirm it.
Yes indeed !

I remember when any used car with 100,000 miles was very hard to sell as everyone considered it to be on " borrowed time "

The 100,000 mile used car of years back would be comparable to the 250,000 mile used car of today.

If appliances of today were like cars of today, we would expect them to last 2.5 times longer and be trouble free.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:29 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Appliances and home heating/cooling system break downs are just luck of the draw occurrences. At some point it might happen, but who knows if it will be while you own the house or appliance.

I've been lucky to have no breakdowns but also have the means to fix whatever has needed to be repaired or replaced. So I don't have home or appliance warranties I pay for. At one time I did have an appliance warranty on al my appliances. Then I realized -- after 4 years -- that the $450 a year I was paying to cover absolutely new appliances that I didn't even use, would have paid for a NEW appliance again if one had broken down.

I can't even remember whether my current house had a home warranty on it from the seller. I only know what I've heard about them which could be wrong. My brother had one -- and said he had to pick from certain repair people and have proof certain things. Not that there were a LOT of hoops, but he had more to deal with to get the repair than I do. But I prefer to pick MY OWN contractor and repair people, on my own schedule. I pick up the phone, make an appointment. No warranty aggravations or restrictions.

I'm selling my house now. And I have NOT gotten a home warranty yet. Holding that in reserve as a negotiating point in case a potential buyer wants some kind of counter, reduction or give back. Why offer first, what can be held as a bargaining chip later? And if they don't ask that 500 that can stay in my coffers.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:07 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post

That's your experience. That's NOT mine. Computers die. I've had my computer die in my car before. Not a pleasant thing to be stranded. I travel a lot and can't afford to be stuck in no man's land because my car died.

I have a vehicle that's now 12 years old. By the time it was 8, it started to need a number of repairs. I rarely drive that vehicle now. Now that it's 12, there's even more repairs to be made. It only has 65,000 miles on it. Things age and break. Then there's the effects of weather on vehicles. Vehicles here don't make it to 200,000 miles. They rust out long before.

My dad is a mechanic...has been longer than I've been alive. He says cars of today are a pain in the *****. The technology on them dies all the time. Once computers came into cars he says they went downhill.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:46 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
Do you guys not do a final walk through a few days before closing? Almost anything could quit working in four months.

Just specify that it must work at time of final walk through.
Best answer I have read so far !

Old 05-29-2017, 03:12 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Update:

I had my walk-through yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. The temperature outside was in the mid-80s. The temperature inside was in the mid-80s. Started the a/c. Air was flowing, but it was NOT cold. Then the air stopped flowing completely. Spoke to the seller's realtor who said that the seller would ensure that it would be fixed ASAP. (Note: the seller had vacated in the winter, before I even saw the house.)

I went to my closing first thing this morning (Monday) and told my attorney what was going on. He held back $$$. While at my signing, the seller got the HVAC crew in. Shortly after I got home (2.5-hour drive away), I got word that the HVAC guys fixed what needed fixing. (I'll get a receipt for the work tomorrow.) My cousin is picking up my keys tomorrow and will then go to my house and test the a/c. On Wednesday I will confirm with all parties that the a/c is in working order (or not) so that the held-back funds can be released (or not).

Old 05-30-2017, 10:29 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Congrats on the closing! And hope you get a good update on the a/c tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate