Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 04:06 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dihappy View Post
It's quite heartbreaking when you find out the client who you are serving to sell their home, chooses to use another realtor for their house buying needs

Please remember to consider that for many realtors, this is how we support our families. SHowing homes, rescheduling to help a client (potential client), etc etc shouldn't be taken lightly and is precisely why i always get a Representation Agreement signed before i commit to any potential client.
My heart is just breaking for your sad, sad story. Dayam, I sure wish I had a 6 pack and a bunch of C&W music playing.

SRSLY you need to get a grip on reality. You already got a signed ER to sell their property. That's not a lock on helping them buy their next property. That's just wishful thinking.

I bet there are some agents better at buying and others better at selling.

And if any agent wanted me to sign an ER before showing me properties I'd be showing them the back of my head. Getting smaller and smaller and smaller....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 04:55 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Unless you signed a contract with an agent you can continue to interview. Realtors work on commission only though so I would be considerate and only have realtors show you homes if you plan on using their services.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:41 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
When I bought my house, I was so impressed by the agent representing the seller that I asked for that agent when I sold my house.

Actually, I think asking for MLS listings can be a great way to separate the good agents from the bad. While my house was being sold, I made the mistake of inquiring at another office about a far less expensive house one of the agents there was selling. It was a totally casual inquiry (had I been serious about buying, I would have asked the agent who was selling my house to find me another) but this agent was so persistent about sending me listings that I finally said yes, even though I had told her I was selling my house (and yes, I made sure she knew which one it was) and not exactly looking to buy another one right away.

I also told her I had a cap above which I couldn't go so not even to bother sending me listings for houses over that amount. She not only sent me gazillions of listings that were way above my cap but in amongst them all, she sent me the listing for my own house.

At that point, I decided I was wasting both her time and mine and asked her to to not send me listings anymore.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:10 PM

919 posts, read 609,505 times
When I sold real estate, I would have been disappointed had a client bought a property, that was in my network, from another realtor. If a client listed a property through another agent, I would've wanted to know why so I could've learnt from any failure on my part.

Selling & buying property is a big decision for most people. Choose the realtor who you reason will work the hardest & bring you the best result. It's business.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:11 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquecartas View Post
I'm just getting e-mails of new houses on the market that meet my search criteria. I definitely did not agree to list my house on the MLS!
You have no obligation to this person. In many/most MLS systems those are simply automated emails. The agent put in your contact information and search criteria once so you would receive them. It might have been 5-10 minutes of work.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:45 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times
Quote:
I have not signed anything, unless I agreed to someone's terms of service when I signed up for the MLS listing.

I like one of these agents to buy with but I'm not sure I want to sell with her. But since I'm buying and selling in the same city, I've been told that the same agent should work both sides.
Can you explain as to why would you trust a agent's help to buy your future home which is a huge investment on your part but can't see your self entrusting her to sell your current home ?

Old 02-18-2017, 01:34 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
You have no obligation to this person. In many/most MLS systems those are simply automated emails. The agent put in your contact information and search criteria once so you would receive them. It might have been 5-10 minutes of work.
Personally, I set up most of my MLS email alerts to alert me first for approval, so I can look them over before they are emailed... to make sure they really fit what the client is looking for, weed out those that are not suitable, and to be aware of what I am sending, in case the client calls and is interested.

So it's not just the initial set up... each property I send to a client involves some time and judgment... as an added service.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:01 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
Quote:
Do I have an obligation to an agent whose MLS property listings I'm receiving?

I have seen two different properties in the last year with two different agents. In both cases, I found a house that I wanted to see and contacted an agent that I knew peripherally and they agreed to show me the property. I'm not moving forward on either house. (Obviously, if I had decided to purchase, I would have used whichever agent had shown me the property). Now I think I want to interview a few more agents and get a couple more CMAs before choosing an agent to list my own home with, because I'm not sure that either of these agents would do a good job selling my house. Is this okay? I have been receiving e-mails from one of these agent's MLS property search. Should I discontinue these e-mails if I'm not sure I want this agent to sell my current home? Do I have to wait X amount of time before I can contact a different agent? I feel like I'm cheating on her...
Talk to as many agents as you need to in order to find one that you are comfortable with and has a good track record of listings sold.

You can discontinue the emails if you want to, but honestly, it's on automatic -- it's not costing the agent anything to send the notices out. However, don't be surprised if the announcements suddenly stop once the agent finds out you picked someone else to sell your house. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate