Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2008, 01:50 PM

239 posts, read 1,092,201 times

Advertisements

We hired our real estate agent and signed a contract for 6 months to sell our home. I beleive that she is the broker, she works for a national company, but has her own office and staff.
I just learned that our agent also represents a new neighborhood for all the selling of new homes etc.
Now I am wondering how much time and energy is truly going into the sale and follow-up of our homes versus the focus on selling the homes of the new construction neighborhood.
I have only recently begun to learn all the ins and outs of the real estate world, I would have thought that the agents only do one or the other. Not sell new construction neighborhoods and also sell pre-owned homes in our neighborhoods.
We just want our home to sell quickly and have an agent that is trying to get our home sold. Thanks for any input, excuse me for my ignorance but this experience is teaching me more than I ever wanted to know about the real estate world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 03:18 PM

60 posts, read 207,328 times
There's not necessarily a conflict of interests there. You were aware that the agent works with multiple clients, of course. It just so happens that one of her other clients is this developer.

If she does not have enough time and resources to give any of her clients what they need, then it becomes a problem. If she is spending all day at these new homes, working full-time at selling them, while ignoring you, you may become concerned. But as long as your needs are being met there shouldn't be a problem.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:27 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
New construction home buyers tend to be different buyers than resale home buyers, so if you are concerned that she will steer them towards new construction, I wouldn't worry about that.

Some agents specialize in new construction but it doesn't mean they don't sell resale homes. Unless you think your agent is ignoring you, or providing inadequate service, I am not sure what your concern is.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:34 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
New construction home buyers tend to be different buyers than resale home buyers, so if you are concerned that she will steer them towards new construction, I wouldn't worry about that.

Some agents specialize in new construction but it doesn't mean they don't sell resale homes. Unless you think your agent is ignoring you, or providing inadequate service, I am not sure what your concern is.
Hmmm good point here. I have to agree. I also believe new and resale buyers are different and probably not too often tell their Realtor to show them both.

Many years ago back east it was against policy for Realtors who sit tracs to get involved in listing resales or schleping buyers around looking at resales.

You said you just want to sell your home fast. All I can say is I bet there are not 3 home buyers in the hunt to buy a home within a 500 mile radius of you. It is real real bad out there. You have to give the Realtor a chance and lots of slack. He/she sells houses, they are not a magican.

Good luck selling..........

Old 03-03-2008, 05:54 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Actually that's good for you. She probably controls a major market share and has more potential buyers coming in that the new con. isn't a fit for. She can then turn around and show your house. She is clearly successful so probably has a staff in place to manage everything for her. I'd say you're probably fine.

Desertsun, I have 4 pending sales right now, so I just singlehandedly beat your theory down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate