Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 11:00 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,946,406 times

Advertisements

I'm based in Southern California and I'm looking to build a 600 sq. ft. 1 bedroom apartment in my yard for me to live in so I can rent out my house. I've met with 3 companies so far and have another two to meet up with. I'm waiting for quotes (they take a while), I got one quote so far and it's $150k. I actually thought it was going to be around $70k. I've always heard people say it's cheaper to build than buy. Have any of you done a project like this? If so what kind of quotes were you presented with and for what square footage? Or how much do you think something like this should cost?

Curious to hear from others.

Btw for those that followed my post from last year about the vacant lot neighbour/encroachment issue; well he's disappeared. He was supposed to start building 4 months ago. One of the construction companies I met with told me that before he starts building, the county will inform me and the surrounding neighbours and depending on his plans, the neighbours may be allowed to have a say in some of the construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 05:42 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
I'm based in Southern California
looking to build a 600 sq. ft. 1 bedroom apartment in my yard
for me to live in so I can rent out my house.
Will the zoning allow this?

Quote:
Btw .... and depending on his plans, the neighbors may be allowed
to have a say in some of the construction.
WILL BE. And even if zoning does allow it... you'll be nimby'ed to death too.

Quote:
I got one quote so far and it's $150k.
I actually thought it was going to be around $70k.

...how much do you think something like this should cost?
Far more than ten years of rent income value will yield.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Will the zoning allow this?

WILL BE. And even if zoning does allow it... you'll be nimby'ed to death too.

Far more than ten years of rent income value will yield.

Don't worry about zoning, that's not the issue. I'm asking about the cost. Stay focused.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:06 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
70K is not much more than 100/ square foot, which sounds really low for CA. Keep in mind a small house has more exterior than a bigger house, and the (expensive to build) kitchen and bath form a larger fraction of the total.

There's every reason to expect a small house to cost much more per unit area than an larger house (equivalent finishes, etc.).

Old 02-20-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
70K is not much more than 100/ square foot, which sounds really low for CA. Keep in mind a small house has more exterior than a bigger house, and the (expensive to build) kitchen and bath form a larger fraction of the total.

There's every reason to expect a small house to cost much more per unit area than an larger house (equivalent finishes, etc.).
I see.

I don't understand how a small house has more exterior than a bigger house?

Old 02-20-2017, 12:33 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
Quote:
I see.

I don't understand how a small house has more exterior than a bigger house?
I should have said "more exterior wall area per square foot of livable space."

Old 02-20-2017, 01:25 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,569,779 times
The SF cost will be considerably higher than a larger house. You'll need permits, design service, water and sewer, electrical service, maybe gas, kitchen and bath, foundation excavation. The only way to know what the cost will be is to get multiple estimates and review them carefully to make sure they include everything you want.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:30 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
We stayed in an Airbnb where the owner split the house so she had part of it and rented the rest. The rental had a kitchenette, full bath, separate entrance. It was a great setup for the owner and I'm sure cost a heck of a lot less money, time and aggravation than building an entire guest house.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:06 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,573 times
Why not just buy a prefab/modular home and have that set up? A small turnkey should run you way less than 150 grand. Prefab and Modular Homes: available; $0 - $99k - Prefabcosm

Old 02-20-2017, 02:25 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
I'm based in Southern California and I'm looking to build a 600 sq. ft. 1 bedroom apartment in my yard for me to live in so I can rent out my house. I've met with 3 companies so far and have another two to meet up with. I'm waiting for quotes (they take a while), I got one quote so far and it's $150k. I actually thought it was going to be around $70k. I've always heard people say it's cheaper to build than buy. Have any of you done a project like this? If so what kind of quotes were you presented with and for what square footage? Or how much do you think something like this should cost?
It CAN - key word - be cheaper to build from scratch than remodel or add on. You're not starting from scratch. You are basically doing an addition. The most expensive rooms to build are bathrooms and kitchens. You also need utilities and water/sewer lines run. Those cost a small fortune. Permits aren't cheap either.

I'm not surprised by $150K and I don't even live in Cali. We talked about adding on a great room, master suite, kitchen, and 2 car garage....just rough ideas without blueprints were over $250K. I said I could a whole house for that and the builders all said yup and you should consider it! Tying the old in with the new creates a whole new set of issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate