Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 08:48 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I happen to love gray and my furniture and other home decor works with it. Am I supposed to go around telling people who paint their home beige or other colors that they just took their honeymoon out of contention and I'm not alone?

It's paint. If a house otherwise works for you, you paint it.

That's a separate question than whether this real estate agent is ridiculous in terms of the amount of work she is suggesting "has" to be done before listing. But if it actually needs to be painted to look clean and fresh, whatever color they pick will appeal to some people and not to others.
Carpeting is paint? The post you quoted said the realtor would want the carpet to be grey if the walls were grey. Carpeting is not exactly cheap. Good paint and good supplies aren't exactly cheap especially if you're painting a whole house. I've spent over a thousand bucks painting the interior of my house. I don't use cheap paint. I also have to prime the walls. Lots of fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 08:55 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Depends on price point and how much you want to make.

An immaculate home fully renovated will sell usually, for more than a fixer upper.

I flip my personal home every two to three years for the tax benefits. We always renovate. New flooring, baths, kitchen counters, sometimes cabinets, fixtures, door knobs, really nice entry door. Garage cabinets, epoxy floor.

Not to "my" taste, but to what is selling.

We buy cheap from people unwilling to tear out the old carpet, and sell a turn key dream, for top value.
I realize it's off topic but I'm curious as to what type of tax benefit derives from selling one's residence that would outweigh the expenses and closing costs involved.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:16 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I realize it's off topic but I'm curious as to what type of tax benefit derives from selling one's residence that would outweigh the expenses and closing costs involved.
The tax benefits vary differently for everyone. The best thing to do is to speak to a local tax accountant for advice like this.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:41 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Depends on price point and how much you want to make.

An immaculate home fully renovated will sell usually, for more than a fixer upper.

I flip my personal home every two to three years for the tax benefits. We always renovate. New flooring, baths, kitchen counters, sometimes cabinets, fixtures, door knobs, really nice entry door. Garage cabinets, epoxy floor.

Not to "my" taste, but to what is selling.

We buy cheap from people unwilling to tear out the old carpet, and sell a turn key dream, for top value.
This is true. A worn home in a nice upscale area would be harder to sell than an updated one. The investment in hardwood might be worth it if that is what is expected in the area. The OP should look at listings, especially sold listings, to see what is expected in the area.

That said I would avoid going with the dark wood floor only because this is a trend and I believe in a few years people will be saying "What were we thinking?". Same thing with dark cabinets. Look back at the homes built in the 70's. Dark cabinets were the rage but by the 80's people were going "yuck". The OP might want to compromise by doing hardwoods in the public areas (living room, dining room, kitchen, halls, etc.) but carpet in the private areas (bedrooms) and tile in the baths. Jay

Old 02-23-2017, 08:33 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This is true. A worn home in a nice upscale area would be harder to sell than an updated one. The investment in hardwood might be worth it if that is what is expected in the area. The OP should look at listings, especially sold listings, to see what is expected in the area.

That said I would avoid going with the dark wood floor only because this is a trend and I believe in a few years people will be saying "What were we thinking?". Same thing with dark cabinets. Look back at the homes built in the 70's. Dark cabinets were the rage but by the 80's people were going "yuck". The OP might want to compromise by doing hardwoods in the public areas (living room, dining room, kitchen, halls, etc.) but carpet in the private areas (bedrooms) and tile in the baths. Jay
Exactly what we ended up deciding to do. Thanks!

Old 02-23-2017, 03:44 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Exactly what we ended up deciding to do. Thanks!
Eh, so despite what the majority of people suggested in this topic, you decided to needlessly spend money for hardwood floors just to sell the house?

Old 02-23-2017, 03:52 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Eh, so despite what the majority of people suggested in this topic, you decided to needlessly spend money for hardwood floors just to sell the house?
Ah, but the OP knows the house and is looking at his market.

Who can accurately tell him "needlessly" without more knowledge?

There was some potentially pretty bad advice offered from within the majority, as usual, so it is quite possible that the OP is doing the smart thing.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:09 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
The tax benefits vary differently for everyone. The best thing to do is to speak to a local tax accountant for advice like this.
I was hoping the poster making the claim would respond; I can't think of anything in the tax code that creates a benefit for selling one's residence periodically.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:12 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

There was some potentially pretty bad advice offered from within the majority, as usual, so it is quite possible that the OP is doing the smart thing.
Exactly. We appreciated all the comments. All were helpful, and weighing them all we made a decision based on our particular situation.

The original suggestions was to tear out all carpeting; we decided to keep the carpeting on two of the floors, (in good shape) but replace the main floor (dining room and family room, both in bad shape). We had a friend who had done a similar thing. He found a wood that wasn't too expensive and looked good with the 20 year old sun faded cherry that we both have. It turned out well for him, so we decided to do the same thing.

But.... we're not removing all the carpet, and we're not putting in dark wood. You guys were very helpful in help us make that part of the decision.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:37 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Eh, perhaps. I said needlessly because I've seen far too many people spend gobs of money just for resale purposes when the money could be better utilized taking care of any major things lurking within a house that could definitely derail a sale. While hardwood floors are a nice upgrade and I agree with what you're getting at and what Jay posted (about what's expected in a particular market), I wouldn't consider them a necessity, but that brings me to below..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Exactly. We appreciated all the comments. All were helpful, and weighing them all we made a decision based on our particular situation.

The original suggestions was to tear out all carpeting; we decided to keep the carpeting on two of the floors, (in good shape) but replace the main floor (dining room and family room, both in bad shape). We had a friend who had done a similar thing. He found a wood that wasn't too expensive and looked good with the 20 year old sun faded cherry that we both have. It turned out well for him, so we decided to do the same thing.

But.... we're not removing all the carpet, and we're not putting in dark wood. You guys were very helpful in help us make that part of the decision.
Actually there were suggestions to do just that - keep what is good and replace what is bad. If the hardwood flooring ended up not being that much of a budget buster for you, then that's great. You'll definitely get some enjoyment out of them. As I said in my previous paragraph, I just wanted caution folks from, IMHO, needlessly spending money for cosmetic improvements just to sell a house when the money could be used elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate