Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 03:01 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times

Advertisements

It's a pretty small pool of buyers who care enough that an expoxied garage floor would be the make or break point for them - and chances are if they care that much, they'll be happy to do it themselves.

Not worth the time and effort. Maybe try a few other approaches to the stains, but just getting everything super clean in the garage and all over is really going to be the biggest selling point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 03:17 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
See you don't have data for that though.

You said the magic words. Once the house and yard were sparkling...that is what buyers care about. Did it get you more money? Probably not because your home was already sparkling clean.

Epoxy paint requires good prep work and is noxious. I have seen epoxied garage floors with crappy shelves and it doesn't look good.
And *you* don't have any data to prove your point, but I have both a
1.) fat bank account
2.) picture of said garage.

The epoxy clear is noxious the day you lay it down, after that, it's no worse than any other paint.
Prep for this garage was just muratic acid - prolly no worse than the op is going to use to clean up the oil.
Attached Thumbnails
Painting garage floor?-image.jpg  

Old 02-22-2017, 03:26 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
And *you* don't have any data to prove your point, but I have both a
1.) fat bank account
2.) picture of said garage.

The epoxy clear is noxious the day you lay it down, after that, it's no worse than any other paint.
Prep for this garage was just muratic acid - prolly no worse than the op is going to use to clean up the oil.
It's very nice, but what got you the fat bank account was the rest of your home being sparkly. You clearly like a clean, well-maintained home and buyers like that and will pay more for it. That is why agents hire stagers.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:42 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
An additional thought for some. We epoxied our first garage and it looked great as well as easy to clean and never kicked up during the 10 years of Colorado winters, with snow, sand, and salt dripping on it. So plus 1 there. However, when it got wet from car drippings it was slicker than snot. We have not epoxied the garages we've had since then specifically for that reason.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:17 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
If the floor is concrete buy concrete paint.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:00 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
First, you must prep the concrete. You need to remove the "laitance" on the surface of the concrete -- about the thickness of 2 or 3 sheets of printer paper. This laitance is not well adhered to the underlying concrete. Best bet is to grind it off.

Next, you must completely clean the concrete with a very good degreaser. You will know when you're done because a few drops of water will no longer bead up on the oily area; instead it will soak in.

Then you should power wash it to get all the dust out. Fill any cracks. Let it dry for a week. Then you apply a thick sheet of plastic about 3' by 3' to the ground and tape the edges with masking tape. Let it sit for a day, then pull it up. If there is no evidence of moisture, you can go on; otherwise, let it dry more.

Next, you should mask off everything, and apply a two-part epoxy designed to chemically adhere to concrete rather than a paint that does not chemically adhere. Finish with a UV stabilized clear coat with a friction enhancer.

Here's my garage. I did it all myself.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:15 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
As we are getting the house ready to sell, we noticed some oily spots on the garage floor. I cleaned it as best as I could, but it still looks bad. Not horribly bad, but like a 20 year old house's garage. A can of paint is cheap--good idea to paint it?
Horrible idea. Concrete is porous, and the paint will pop. We own a janitorial business and I've cleaned my share of greasy garage floors. Go to your local hardware store and get some garage floor cleaner degreaser. I use one for epoxy floors from Rustoleum. Best stuff I've ever used.

Follow the directions. Wet the floor and apply the product and use a wet dry broom to lather it up. Let it sit. Keep swirling the broom over it, to agitate, but I've found you don't have to scrub. Rinse. Rinse well.

This does a perfectly adequate job and if you get it on your skin, it won't be that big a deal. If that doesn't work, call a pro.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:31 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
It might only need a power washer or a steam power washer to get it looking clean. You may be able to rent one to DIY or have it done by a pro. If you are determined to epoxy yourself, power wash it first.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:28 PM

359 posts, read 361,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
First, you must prep the concrete. You need to remove the "laitance" on the surface of the concrete -- about the thickness of 2 or 3 sheets of printer paper. This laitance is not well adhered to the underlying concrete. Best bet is to grind it off.

Next, you must completely clean the concrete with a very good degreaser. You will know when you're done because a few drops of water will no longer bead up on the oily area; instead it will soak in.

Then you should power wash it to get all the dust out. Fill any cracks. Let it dry for a week. Then you apply a thick sheet of plastic about 3' by 3' to the ground and tape the edges with masking tape. Let it sit for a day, then pull it up. If there is no evidence of moisture, you can go on; otherwise, let it dry more.

Next, you should mask off everything, and apply a two-part epoxy designed to chemically adhere to concrete rather than a paint that does not chemically adhere. Finish with a UV stabilized clear coat with a friction enhancer.

Here's my garage. I did it all myself.

very nice when are you coming over???

Old 02-23-2017, 07:43 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Unless it is common in your price point to have epoxied floors it is a waste of money.
My thoughts exactly.

Painting is a terrible idea.

At most, make an attempt to get the stains out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate