Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 1,454 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I bought our condo in 2006 and are still slightly underwater. We have been renting it out the last 2 years which almost covers our mortgage. Since then, we have been renting a house with a $2100 monthly payment. We would like to buy a house in the 275-300K range within a year and ideally keep our condo. We make about $165K combined and have average credit scores. Is this doable? I would think because we have been on time every month with a $2100 rent payment, the mortgage program would take that in their analysis that we could afford roughly a $2100 mortgage payment while still keep our existing condo. Any insight you can share would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 06:57 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE02 View Post
bought our condo in 2006 and are still slightly underwater.
We have been renting it out the last 2 years which almost covers our mortgage.
We would like to buy a house... and ideally keep our condo.
Selling the condo would be the simplest path... even with a slight loss.
It might even be the wisest use of your assets, credit & risk.

Right now the slight loss (relative to market) is the market itself.
It's recovering but still has room in many areas to expand before reaching 2006 highs.

Three years from now the market should recover even more but you'll then have
five years of rental use and other wear & tear conditions, worn out fixtures, etc...
all of which are very likely to still keep you in a "slight loss" position. Follow?

Quote:
...the mortgage program would take that in their analysis...
Of course they'll keep lending; the mortgage brokers love people like you.
The only question is about the rate and fees you'll have to pay.

If you LIKE being a landlord... look for a property better suited to that.
Something that will at least pay enough to cover ALL of the mortgage and other ownership costs.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:43 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,748 times
I think the lender will qualify you on certain debt to income ratios. You don't get any "extra credit" for paying your bills on time, but they will ding you for late payments. I hear a lot of lenders only give you 75% of the rent as "verifiable income" to allow for turnover, etc.

Add up your debts, determine what % of your gross income they are, and check the lender's required maximum debt to income ratios for house payment debt as well as total debt service.

I think a lot of lenders use 28% of gross income as max house payment and 35% as max total debt service.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:57 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE02 View Post
Hi, my husband and I bought our condo in 2006 and are still slightly underwater. We have been renting it out the last 2 years which almost covers our mortgage. Since then, we have been renting a house with a $2100 monthly payment. We would like to buy a house in the 275-300K range within a year and ideally keep our condo. We make about $165K combined and have average credit scores. Is this doable? I would think because we have been on time every month with a $2100 rent payment, the mortgage program would take that in their analysis that we could afford roughly a $2100 mortgage payment while still keep our existing condo. Any insight you can share would be appreciated!
They'll go by your tax returns for calculating your rental income and expenses. Doable, possible, but more calculations are needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate