Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 08:03 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times

Advertisements

Heck no! I would not live with a parking permit system. Many moons ago, I live in a townhouse and we had assigned parking. Then someone got a girlfriend/boyfriend or a unit sold and parking would get all screwed up. It was a complete nightmare. Never again. Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 08:12 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Heck no! I would not live with a parking permit system. Many moons ago, I live in a townhouse and we had assigned parking. Then someone got a girlfriend/boyfriend or a unit sold and parking would get all screwed up. It was a complete nightmare. Never again. Nope.
I understand what you are saying. Was your townhouse parking area controlled by your HOA or was it controlled by your state DOT? If it was the former, then your HOA could contract with a towing company. If it was the latter, then local police could give out tickets.

What I'm seeing from reading through this thread is that some areas handle permit parking better than others.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:49 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
If I was buying a house, I'd avoid any area where a parking district might be needed, now or in the future.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:49 AM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If I was buying a house, I'd avoid any area where a parking district might be needed, now or in the future.
That can be hard to predict. When we bought our current house, we never thought things would deteriorate to the point where we needed permit parking. Unfortunately, too many townhouse communities in the area ended up with homes that got illegally converted into 2 family units. Each townhouse has 2 parking spots. When overcrowding issues happened, our local government turned a blind eye to it all by making laws that had no teeth. In the past, one could count on townhouses having one family per home. Unfortunately, in our area that's not the case anymore

Old 03-15-2017, 06:38 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The thing is, those special parking districts are there because they are close to a lot of amenities. If you want to live close to these things, its hard to avoid.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:45 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
I can see the appeal, and FWIW I think it would be a attraction for future buyers.

Having said that, would I personally buy a house in such a district? No. But that's because I'm a retiree and have the luxury of moving to a small town with nearby amenities as well as plenty of parking. If I had to live in an urban area, I'd probably consider it (even though I do have plenty of friends who stop by, and I can see how it would be a PITA for them.)

Old 03-15-2017, 07:46 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I wouldn't buy but there's plenty of people that would, and I think that is what really matters.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:52 AM

108 posts, read 389,721 times
I would. I would greatly prefer to have permitted parking. The idea has been tossed around in the streets surrounding our downtown where parking is at a premium in the neighborhoods because of workers that park and walk to work rather then paying for parking.

We live across the river from downtown and run into parking issues at times. These things can creep up in a neighborhood. Just in the three short years we have been here, every year gets more interesting. The public skate park down the street redid their parking which pushed more parking into the residential streets. Just the one house next door from me went from one couple to I don't know how many people live there with a constant stream of cars. The same situation is going on another three doors down on the other side.

We have a disabled child and were able to petition the city for a handicap street parking spot in front of our house to insure that I wasn't carrying a child in my arms just trying to get home at night. We still get idiots who will park there, "Oh I didn't see the sign!", or block our tiny driveway in where my husband parks.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:07 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm curious as to why there is a parking issue if everyone has a two car garage and a driveway.
I had the same question, as I am used to seeing them in cities where there is a lack of driveways/garages and/or lots of non-residents around for whatever reason.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:13 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
I live in a permit parking area. Most of the properties have plenty of driveway or other space to park their own cars. Parking is unrestricted after 5pm (restricted 9am-5pm) and on weekends so parties or having houseguests is generally not a problem.

And during the day I get to watch people get ticketed. The reactions to that piece of paper on the windshield are interesting, and more interesting is how the different reactions correlate to different demographics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate