Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 06:34 PM

761 posts, read 604,388 times

Advertisements

I never said I was months away from listing my home. I'm days away.

Thank you for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 06:58 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,208,048 times
you never said you were days away. was your buying agent aware of this? then - as I said above - certainly they should have been more timely.

to answer one of your two questions -

you should interview 3 agents. and you should tell them what communication frequency that you expect. and then you should choose one that agrees to that, and the one that you believe having talked to them will do the best job marekting your property, and hass the best chance of being a great negotiator and steady experienced hand during the closing process.

And I still say the "was this timely enough?" is a concern/question to propose to the agent in question.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:31 PM

761 posts, read 604,388 times
You are not reading it correctly. I have the pen in hand ready to put my house on the market, and the realtor I made a query to was the person I thought would be my realtor to help me purchase my next home.

Thank you again.. you have taught me a thing or two about clarity.
Namaste

Old 03-16-2017, 11:13 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,538,348 times
To me, your request was unclear, if those were your verbatim words. I thought you were asking how to find another realtor in your buying area.

In any event, one of my pet peeves are people who don't reply timely. There's been more than one realtor who didn't get back to me and lost out on $$$s in commission.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:56 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,074,570 times
Technology, I suppose, has shrunk the world--both in terms of space and time. What used to be a month, is now a single day. What used to be a day, is now an hour, and so forth.

If someone doesn't respond to your communication within one day, on virtually any matter, it means they don't care enough to provide you with prompt, professional service.

Move on.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:24 AM

9,852 posts, read 7,722,163 times
I think her reply time was reasonable. It wasn't a question about any of her listings, it was a general question on how to choose a realtor in your town, not hers.

You already bought a home in your town, so you have more info on your local realtors than she would. She may have been confused as to why you would ask her.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:53 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,018,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
what percentage of the time that you have to move is 4 days? ie, does it delay your move, or are you months away? Were you asking her for very general advice (what you posted) or asking her also to help recommend someone in your current locale? Did she give any indication of the time lapse?

For example, I've been dealing with a serious family issue that's made it difficult for me to get back to "action is months from now" to-do's on a daily basis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Seriously - I agree with the general of timely responses. And timely is within a business day. But if I know someone is months away from listing their home, and they were to ask me "what/who should I look for in a listing agent where I live now?" then that would get a different response time. It sure wouldn't be within an hour when I may have many more pressing items happening. Is 4 days too much? It definitely could be. But I'd hope you'd have that conversation with the agent, not the internet.
I agree with you that not all inquiries are responded to in the same timeframe. Really, how many emails can I reply to while I'm simultaneously trying to give the client in front of me my full attention? None. So, it has to happen during in between times.

This being said, I don't know how you can make the argument that 4 days is a reasonable response time. we all know this isn't a 9 to 5 job (I was meeting with a new client at their house from 8 PM to 9 PM last night actually) and often I find myself sitting on my couch with my laptop at night going through my emails and responding back to people I've deemed don't need an immediate response.

I know with me the majority of my emails get a response within 1 to 2 hours. 99% get a response within 12 hours and 99.9% get a response within 24 hours. On extremely rare occasion, one slips through the cracks or ends up in my SPAM folder so they might not get as timely a response. Maybe my turn around time is faster than others, but 4 days is absolutely unreasonable in the mind of today's consumer no matter what timeframe you say your transaction is happening in.

There's a saying in the RE industry that I think applies here . . . if you don't service your clients, someone else will. My advice is - find someone else to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
I'm sorry, I typed it incorrectly. She's been selling homes for a year. We had just met her. My husband and I like to try and patronize people who are just starting off.
I think that's awesome that you and your spouse like to support people who are starting a business. However, this being the purchase/sale of your largest single asset I would suggest you be extra careful about selecting the person to assist you in this endeavor. Ideally, I think you want someone with much more experience. Minimum 5 years if not 10 years in the business. Some longevity in this business can be an indicator that the agent knows what they're doing. As we're a 100% commission based job, many people who fail at it drop out quickly because they have no income.

If you do insist on hiring someone brand new, then I would suggest making sure that the person you hire has some kind of mentor who is supervising them. Their mistakes could cost you a lot of money in this case. It's not like patronizing a new restaurant where the worst case scenario is you get a bad meal.

I would say this agent has demonstrated that they don't know what they're doing based on their response time to you.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:02 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,732,440 times
I'm not a realtor, but have just gone through the sale of my home and purchased another. I have done this 3 times in the past. I would NOT hire a realtor that didn't respond to me the same day if I emailed or called them! Secondly, if they are doing a market analysis for you, they should have that back to you within 2 days IMHO. Third, you want a realtor that is going to respond at least by text within a few hours if they list your home. You might have questions, etc. My realtor would respond by text almost instantly. Even if it was just to say, I'm with a client right now, I'll call you in an hour. No replies or delayed replies means NO GOOD!

Old 03-17-2017, 09:30 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Use the phone ...And if need be..Leave a message with the expectation of response time frame. Follow up with an email the next day to confirm she is working to resolve your request. When I need a quick response, the phone works wonders.
Yes contingent on the Realtors workload, emails are to be responded to daily..Even if it's to say, I'll look into this and get back to you by XYZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate