Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 03:56 PM

22,470 posts, read 11,990,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I'm not a structural engineer so I don't know this but what are the height restrictions for a wood framed building?
I live in VA and the law says that any building 8 stories or higher has to be of concrete and steel construction. So a developer can put up a cheap a$$ 7 story wooden frame apartment or condo complex. If I were in the market for a condo, I sure wouldn't buy anything wooden. There are far too many stories from different parts of the country where a fire starts in 1 unit then quickly spreads to more of them. Not to mention that sound proofing in these flimsy buildings is non-existent. I know people who've lived in such structures and they tell me when the person upstairs slams their front door, the units that border them shake. Or when someone is just walking across the floor, to the person downstairs it sounds like they are stomping around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 04:02 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
The fire chief said in the presser that high rise buildings have a different fire code, and a high rise is over 4 stories here (Raleigh). Then the media reported it was to be a 6 story building. Anyone know anything about this?

Old 03-17-2017, 06:30 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
This is true also. Once built firewalls and such prevent fast spreading.

This was just a case of bad timing (or very good timing depending on how you look at it). I just hope it wasn't arson or something.
Firewalls are fine, until somebody starts knocking holes in them. Most apartments were not built to accommodate data wiring, so poke a hole. Plumbing need repair? Poke a hole. Need a new wiring circuit? Poke a hole. Want to move a wall? Chop, chop. Typically the work does not require a permit at all, so it's not inspected.

Sprinkler systems are installed by licensed installers, but often they are not maintained. They have a booster pump to provide high pressure water when a sprinkler head melts, but if the sensor doesn't work you may as well stand in the shower for all the good it will do you. Sprinkler systems are supposed to be tested monthly. Yeah, right. You are lucky if you can put 40 people on an exterior fire escape without having it collapse under you.

I used to be a building inspector. The things I have seen...

The building codes are fine. What we need is a law that all fire and life safety deficiencies need to corrected before a building can be sold.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:09 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
We had a huge fire at condos adjacent that destroyed the whole building. Part of the issue was that the fire department was called out three times and denied the fire the first two calls, so by the time they admitted there was an issue, the fire was up into the attic. I don't think there were sprinklers in the attic, so then the fire spread across the building and there wasn't anything that could be done.

In this case described in the thread, it appears it was just the construction problem, but even sprinkler systems aren't going to deal with all types of fires. If you have a grease fire, for example, a sprinkler system isn't necessarily going to help things and may make it worse in the immediate area. Hopefully fire walls between units would keep the fire from spreading, but again, if you have nothing in the attic, it could still spread that way.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:49 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Fire Sprinkler systems should be designed by a licensed fire protection engineer and installed by a certified fire protection contractor. In the case of a space that might freeze a dry pipe system, filled with compressed air holding back the water, may be an option. And if the city water supply is not sufficient, a booster pump should be supplied. Perhaps with backup power.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:41 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I live in VA and the law says that any building 8 stories or higher has to be of concrete and steel construction. So a developer can put up a cheap a$$ 7 story wooden frame apartment or condo complex. If I were in the market for a condo, I sure wouldn't buy anything wooden. There are far too many stories from different parts of the country where a fire starts in 1 unit then quickly spreads to more of them. Not to mention that sound proofing in these flimsy buildings is non-existent. I know people who've lived in such structures and they tell me when the person upstairs slams their front door, the units that border them shake. Or when someone is just walking across the floor, to the person downstairs it sounds like they are stomping around.
Code allows a concrete first level with 5 floors of wood construction on top. This is the same for all the US unless a state or municipality has enacted more strict requirements.

And for those wondering, this is the fire in question. Cleanup from largest Raleigh fire in decades to last into weekend :: WRAL.com

Old 03-20-2017, 07:00 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
The noise in these types of construction are horrendous. You are exactly right, walking sounds like stomping.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:09 AM

23 posts, read 30,303 times
Builders & Constructors must look into these. Today'sn constructions are not durable. What must be noticed is the use of 'Materials' for construction. It's sad to here, that newly constructed apartments set on fire. Anyway.. need to look in detail while buying a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate