Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 07:09 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
Curious of where the 30 yr and 15 yr mortgage rates have to climb in order to truly cool this hot real estate market. I have also heard as part of Trump's tax cut proposal that reducing or even eliminating the home mortgage deduction would be included as a way to offset the new tax cuts.

I know different part of the country experience different markets but here on the southern east coast the market has been on a tear in the past 3 years- it is not normal for houses to appreciate 30-40% a year, the norm is 2-3%. I have noticed so far this year that days on market has been longer & thinking maybe buyers are not willing to pay inflated prices.

Just curious of the boards thoughts.
Who would want the housing market to cool besides prospective buyers who want to buy low?

When the housing market gets hot it's better for the economy and gets more jobs especially with new builds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 03:05 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
those wishing for a big housing price drop forget these things don't happen in a vacuum . they go with the local economy crashing too . with it usually goes jobs and income cuts

Old 03-23-2017, 07:31 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,766 times
As reported yesterday existing housing sales dropped as a result of raising rates but more likely buyers not willing to pay the inflated prices sellers are asking even though inventory is low. I have noticed in my area that houses are not being "snatched" up like last year and the asking prices have become unreasonable- it's almost as if sellers are saying if someone is willing to pay this price I will sell and downsize or rent & rebuy after normalcy returns.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:36 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Who would want the housing market to cool besides prospective buyers who want to buy low?

When the housing market gets hot it's better for the economy and gets more jobs especially with new builds.
I would disagree- if an asset price becomes over-valued most will suffer. So the homeowner that has seen a paper equity value increase only adds to the economy if he/she borrows against that equity and spends the proceeds into the economy but if the valuation is stretched and a return to the mean occurs then much like in 07-08 these borrowing folks will find themselves upside down.

I do agree that low inventory and more builds helps the economy with employing those workers and purchasing materials but if prices get too high then you see inventory build. Real wages have not increased in years and many homebuilders and sellers are pricing themselves out of the market.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Our home prices have only gone up about 10-15%/year, but there is still a severe shortage of inventory and they are selling faster than ever. Slight increases in interest rates spur more buyers, anxious to get in before it prices them out. The death of the mortgage interest deduction, however, will definitely slow things down, since most of the payment is interest for about the first 24 years and that makes a big difference in income tax.

http://seattlebubble.com/blog/

Old 03-23-2017, 08:00 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
As reported yesterday existing housing sales dropped as a result of raising rates but more likely buyers not willing to pay the inflated prices sellers are asking even though inventory is low. I have noticed in my area that houses are not being "snatched" up like last year and the asking prices have become unreasonable- it's almost as if sellers are saying if someone is willing to pay this price I will sell and downsize or rent & rebuy after normalcy returns.
existing sales dropped not because of rates and lack of buyers . there is a lack of supply of houses available that are not higher end , not buyers lacking to buy

new home sales just were announced a few minutes ago and beat estimates . so obviously rates are not a factor at this point .

Home Sales Drop Amid Inventory, Affordability Issues | Realtor Magazine

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-23-2017 at 08:22 AM..

Old 03-23-2017, 08:03 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
We have a housing market today where the quality jobs are basically in major metros areas, and those housing markets have nowhere to go but up, absent some sort of major economic downturn.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:18 AM

748 posts, read 833,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
We have a housing market today where the quality jobs are basically in major metros areas, and those housing markets have nowhere to go but up, absent some sort of major economic downturn.
Yup.

Micro-locations will matter more than ever. With "starter" like homes ever more in demand, those prices will go up as well. Interest rates will matter, but people would rather pay a higher interest rate and build some equity than rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate