Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 02:36 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times

Advertisements

Where are you getting these "census demographics"?

Is this the place? Are you sure it's not MEDIAN age? Meaning half the community is younger and half older? I'm seeing 245 under age 70 and 245 older on a realtor's site.

https://kpwilliamsburgdotorg.wordpress.com/

City Data reflects the median age to be 42-ish but only a population of 100 - 29% with children....So who knows. Each site gets their data from different places.

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...msburg-VA.html

Don't worry about it. I'm pretty sure your demographics are OFF. And after the real estate crash, younger retirees were scooping up property all over Florida so people who were approaching 80s from being the original owners in an age restricted community were no longer in the majority.

Here is the ACTUAL census for that zip code.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/AGE765210/51

There's a Target there. Trust me it's not all old people. Go THERE and to the grocery stores to figure it out. Guarantee you'll see pregnant women with 2 kids tagging along immediately.

The realtor isn't permitted to give you demographic info, especially for a protected class. Go hang out there and speak to residents. Try and catch them on trash day so you can see who's dragging the trash cans in and out LOL.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 03-20-2017 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 03:24 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Yes I would I love a quiet neighborhood besides all the ambulance noise.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:52 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I believe OP is retiring to this community. Which, actually, makes it pretty perfect IMO.
Oh sorry, I didn't know that! Lol. In that case then it sounds like a good fit

Old 03-20-2017, 03:59 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,246,475 times
At least if you buy there when your neighbors have garage sales you'll be able to find some nice vintage items.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:38 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellabella2 View Post
Well, we once bought a single-family home in a suburb where people lived for decades and the average homeowner was in their 60's-70's. They usually stayed put until they died or their kids put them in a nursing home. It was a really nice community and the brick homes (built in the 1950's) were very well maintained.

But it seemed that when the homes were eventually sold, they sold to families with young kids and these were rougher families from a different demographic. Some of the homes exceeded the occupancy limits. We started seeing questionable cars parked in front of the homes, questionable people hanging around drinking/smoking on the street corners, garages used for purposes other than parking cars, etc. In another 10-15 years I think the suburb I lived in will be completely different, and not a change for the better.

This was my thought exactly as it happened to my in-laws' neighborhood. It was a nice, 1960's subdivision with modest homes.As people died or moved to assisted living, houses were sold to "rougher" types of families who could afford the neighborhood. Crime increased dramatically and the feel of the neighborhood declined as new buyers were not the type to care about home maintenance like original owners. If your neighborhood in question is 80k less than adjacent ones I would be concerned. And the fact that a house there has been on the market for 2 years would be another red flag. If you need to move and sell eventually it could put you in a bad position.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:32 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
10-20 years from now you will have all new neighbors since a lot will have gone to retirement homes. Who knows what the character of it will become. Old folks aren't bad though, at least we are all mostly in bed by 9:30 so no loud parties.

I would go for it!

Old 03-20-2017, 06:20 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Not unless it was a retirement community.

The problem isn't the 70 year olds, it's the demographic of the new buyers, whoever they are, and the likelihood that a good chunk of the neighborhood will roll over in the next 10 years or so.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:50 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
The two houses on my private lane are owned by retirees. I have another abutter who is a retiree. I think it's great. Retirees watch everything like a hawk. They're pretty quiet other than an occasional grandkid visit. Everybody has the time to have immaculate lawns and all their houses are in really good repair. There's an attorney across the street from where my lane meets the street with a couple young children. There are a few houses with boomerang Millennials.

When I was a kid, that street was a Baby Boomer kid factory. With today's low birth rates, it will never be like that again but it's an affluent leafy suburb with good schools so it's bound to youthen eventually. Some day, I'll be the curmudgeon.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:16 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
You mentioned HOA and that's where I would first focus. It's very common for HOA's, CDA's or COA, where the bulk of the members are not long for this earth, that they are averse to paying into funds for needed future projects when they don't see themselves being alive to enjoy it. Depending on how long the community has had a majority of vintage aged residents, the greater the possibility all reserve funds are under funded. Not trying to be mean but old people are the worst at paying for the future.

That's not an issue in my HOA. Our neighborhood is all SFH. The only thing the HOA does is maintain the common area landscaping and occasionally resurface the streets. There are no future projects to consider.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:54 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
I think the neighborhood sounds very nice. Have you thought of renting in that neighborhood for a while, until you get a better "feel" for it? That might help you in deciding if this is the right neighborhood for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate