Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 02:49 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,769,191 times

Advertisements

The larger issue is the HOA. I will not ever live in a place with a HOA.

In answer to the question, No, I would not move into an area where the average age is 70+, either. So that's a DOUBLE no on that property.

The neighborhood may be fine now but the die off is about to begin. It seems prices are already depressed in that area - what's going to happen when many many properties start going on the market in the same period of time? The neighborhood will change. You may see a lot of heirs turning the homes into rentals. The HOA will change. HOAs rarely change for the better.

The effects of the rest of the changes bound to come is arguable - but I would rather choose a neighborhood less prone to sudden change due to a sudden increase in the number of homes for sale and the concomitant depression of home values.

And anybody who thinks homes built in the last 10 or 20 years will be maintenance free has another think coming. Building practices being what they are, I'd rather the older home that has been cared for over a newer home that the owners think is "maintenance free".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 04:14 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,503,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
A few places. I've been researching real estate in Williamsburg for quite some time and have been to this neighborhood many times. So, personal knowledge and observation. Also, my realtor gave me specific data and the listing on Trulia said the same thing. (I use the Williamsburg MLS to look at listings, but Trulia is helpful when it comes to demographic info, etc.)

I did mistakenly say average instead of median. My bad, but the point remains the same. It's dramatically older than the other nearby communities. Most of the residents are the original home owners who built in the 1960s and 70s.
That's so wildly far off from other demographic reporting sites that it seems highly suspect. Either Trulia's made an error or perhaps there's a nearby nursing home skewing Trulia's stats.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:01 PM

8,247 posts, read 8,596,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I'm going through a similar conundrum. I am a young 62 and have been considering 55+ communities. I figure they are probably safer and you won't have your neighbor blasting their stereo at midnight. However I'm not sure how I feel about living with only "older" people, never hearing children laughing or playing and having ambulances there on a regular basis (I'm exaggerating a bit here). I'm more of an introvert and I also don't want 75 year old Margaret from next door stopping by every day to chat because she is lonely. And before you guys jump on me for saying that (because I know there are some on here who will) there is a difference in having a friendly neighbor and one who just stops by all the time without being invited.

Like everything there are pros and cons. Make a list, see how many are on each side and try to make a decision from there.
I live in a 55+. Most of the people I know think not hearing children is a plus. For many that was the biggest reason for moving here.

An introvert would probably be miserable in a 55+. Not because of 75 year old Margaret but because everything is people oriented and if you don't want to be an Active Adult you will still have to pay for the amenities and activities just the same.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:39 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,206,334 times
I wouldn't have a problem buying a home in a neighborhood like that if I were the OP and was at retirement age.

It's really hard to find a home that has everything... good location, good neighbors, the house has what you want, low crime, good schools, etc.

We bought our home 2 years ago in a pretty affluent area... my wife and I are under 40. Unfortunately, the vast majority of people who can afford a home in this neighborhood are 50+... I'd say average age around here is 55-60. Consequently, we don't have much in common with our neighbors. The main drawback is that there aren't a ton of kids around for our daughter to play with, but that isn't a concern for the OP.

Anyway, the demographics of a neighborhood aren't something you can control. If you like the location and the house works for you, that would be enough to make me consider the house.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:49 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,099,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
That's so wildly far off from other demographic reporting sites that it seems highly suspect. Either Trulia's made an error or perhaps there's a nearby nursing home skewing Trulia's stats.
I think what skews the reports is the size of the sample being studied. Williamsburg is a small town that has many small neighborhoods, quite a few of which are separated by physical features (large creeks, lakes, ridges, etc.) There are very few roads connecting the neighborhoods, so they have developed distinct characteristics.

Kingspoint, for example, is a 40 year old upper class area on one side of College Creek. On the other side are a few recently developed and less prime area, as well as an airport and starter neighborhoods. The creek isn't that wide, so if you were looking on a map you might think both areas should be combined (especially since both communities are quite small, and since the newer area isn't really established as its own community). The demographic on one side of the creek is extremely different from that on the other side. So studies covering both areas will be quite a bit different from those focused on Kingspoint.

As stated earlier, I know the neighborhood personally. Most of the homes still have the original home owners, who built there in the 1960s and 1970s. They are now getting old, but most of them are still there.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:17 AM

8,103 posts, read 8,284,205 times
So, if one like that becomes available maybe go for it. A house with that much lawn needing care and being 2-story, I am guessing the older people who continue to reside in those kinds of houses are quite spry.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:58 AM

15,207 posts, read 10,238,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I live in a 55+. Most of the people I know think not hearing children is a plus. For many that was the biggest reason for moving here.

An introvert would probably be miserable in a 55+. Not because of 75 year old Margaret but because everything is people oriented and if you don't want to be an Active Adult you will still have to pay for the amenities and activities just the same.

You make a good point. They have a lot of social events at this place I was considering. An unbelievable amount of activities but they aren't what I would call "active". They have bingo, woodworking, cards, dances and bible studies for those who are so inclined. And while they have tennis, bocci ball, gym and a pool; I prefer kayaking, biking and mostly solitary activities. I probably would not be happy there.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:13 AM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times
I've never made my neighborhood my social group so I wouldn't hesitate to buy a house anywhere that skewed older, but I'd think twice about a place that was full of little kids just because I like quiet now. I was the young new mom to my little cluster of homes many moons ago, only one other family had small kids, everyone else was an original owner and 50+. That changed over the years but it didn't effect us too much one way or another. Now I'm pushing 60 and one of the oldest ones here so going somewhere new, and being "the young one" again sounds pretty good to me .

Old 03-26-2017, 03:28 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,372,162 times
I bought into such a neighborhood 25 years ago when I was only 35 years old and considered it a plus. Of course I don't have children and it is an older charming neighborhood near downtown and the river that appeals to downtown professionals. Benefits to me were that it was quiet; people maintained their lawns, took good care of their pets, and watched the place while I was at work or on travel; and a strong neighborhood association run by influential persons who had clout with the city and could get our complaints addressed. As the elderly have moved on or died, their mostly outdated houses have been bought by younger retirees - many from out of state with the money for extensive renovations. Unfortunately I want to retire in another state so will be selling next year and doubt I will be able to find or afford this type of neighborhood in the new town.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:12 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,844,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
You make a good point. They have a lot of social events at this place I was considering. An unbelievable amount of activities but they aren't what I would call "active". They have bingo, woodworking, cards, dances and bible studies for those who are so inclined. And while they have tennis, bocci ball, gym and a pool; I prefer kayaking, biking and mostly solitary activities. I probably would not be happy there.
Tennis and swimming aren't "active"?

That's funny - kayaking and biking are performed while SITTING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate