Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 10:40 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times

Advertisements

I would tell the realtor since the taxes must be current before a title can be transferred it is the seller's responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 10:43 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
selling a house " as is" can not over ride law.

Where I last sold, septic systems had to meet new strict codes before titles could be transferred.

Listing a house " as is " didn't circumvent the law.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:28 PM

370 posts, read 446,803 times
You could be faced with paying the back taxes if:
1) The seller inherited the property as part of an estate that took 2 years to work out in the court system. During that time, no one in the extended family wanted to take on the tax burden because they did not know if it was going to become their property.

2) The property owner is selling the property to settle the debt / vendor's liens they owe. As a result, they will often not pay the back property taxes since they know those will not trigger a "tax collection" or "tax deed" until a few years later. In the meantime they are making minimum payments on the debt.

Either way, a seller with tax debt is admitting they can't afford the property and it can often be a good negogiating tool for the wise buyer.

A real estate attorney should be used to perform a full title search on the property and ensure that you do not take on any unforeseen unpaid debts. Specifically IRS debt that is not always explicitly disclosed to the new buyer.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:26 PM

356 posts, read 281,632 times
Another consideration of the buyer having to pay back taxes is if the seller doesn't have money to pay the taxes, the property probably hasn't been maintained very well, if at all.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:50 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I would tell the realtor since the taxes must be current before a title can be transferred it is the seller's responsibility.
Can you give an example by naming a state where that is true? That is certainly not the case in Michigan.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:21 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
I see one property for sale and was being told by the realtor that back taxes would be my responsibility. Why is this? Is this even legal only under what circumstances?
It's legal under all circumstances.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:28 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
You apparently misread what I wrote. IF title insurance is to be obtained as part of the purchase, a title company will require that the back taxes be paid off at closing. Of course, if you get title insurance on a property and later fail to pay the taxes, the title insurance company isn't going to pay the taxes.

What state requires title insurance?
I think all of them but Iowa. They still use abstracts. The state refuses to let title insurance in as its a scam.

If it's not required, why buy it? 30+ years ago I worked as mortgage banker. They gave us the cost of title insurance and we figured it in. Nothing was ever said title insurance was an option. So gave me idea you had to have it. Even if your house is paid in cash. Yeah I'm sure owners of mortgage companies were getting kickbacks.

It really is a scam, payout on it is like one tenth of a percent.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:45 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
I think all of them but Iowa. They still use abstracts. The state refuses to let title insurance in as its a scam.

If it's not required, why buy it? 30+ years ago I worked as mortgage banker. They gave us the cost of title insurance and we figured it in. Nothing was ever said title insurance was an option. So gave me idea you had to have it. Even if your house is paid in cash. Yeah I'm sure owners of mortgage companies were getting kickbacks.

Michigan doesn't require title insurance--although it is usually obtained for most transactions. I agree, however, that the payout rate on title insurance is very low.

People buy it for the same reason that they buy any insurance. That's why insurance companies always try to scare people with worst-case scenarios. Yet, insurance can come in handy.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:55 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post

It's a token amount against what for most is their single largest asset.
In a case like the OP here... it's especially warranted.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:14 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
You apparently misread what I wrote. IF title insurance is to be obtained as part of the purchase, a title company will require that the back taxes be paid off at closing. Of course, if you get title insurance on a property and later fail to pay the taxes, the title insurance company isn't going to pay the taxes.

What state requires title insurance?
Yes we bought a home, with title insurance & at the first tax bill in the mail, we found out that several thousand dollars were owed. The title company paid them, as it was their fault for not doing a thorough check. Of course, all subsequent taxes were paid by us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate