Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 02:21 PM

27 posts, read 28,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
I had this happen a few times when the market crashed. Actually had their agents send letters since its a guard gated HOA.

They were thinking we were probably upside down in our house. We paid cash. We just ignored them. I'm thinking if the agent did her job she could see their was no liens on our property. They'd have to pay me triple value and pay a mover to move us. Pack my things with me standing around supervising - doing next to nothing.
Hey we can all dream.

We are here for life. Can never find what we have here again. Coroner will be taking me out feet first.
I Thought the exact same thing. Then........ Life happened.
I hired a builder - had the house built to my specs - two walls removed, one wall moved 4 inches, etc. Over the next 15 years, I replaced the basement door, replaced the slider to the deck with a patio door, replaced the deck, put in a front and rear walkway, added a second garage, added a shed, built a retaining wall for the shed location, put in drainage, added the hardwood floors that I could not afford when I built the house, ... & more. Then, I got 'separated' from my job. The property taxes add up quick with no income, as well as electric, and other utilities. Oh, let's not forget food, gasoline, house insurance, car insurance... etc. All these continue even if you do not have a job. Hmmm. I Got a position 250 miles away after 6 months of hard looking. 250 miles is just a bit more than "commuting distance".

The good news... while I HATED selling - not my childhood home, but MY home.... I'm getting used to it now (5 years later). 20 years ago when I had the house built, I could do stairs - now, 20 years later... I still can, but I can see the preverbial writing on the wall - probably no stairs in 20 more years. Oh and my stairs were beautiful (at least to me and one other person that offered $20K more than FMV). Doesn't make going up and down them any more simple when I'm 80.

I used to say "never say never, as never seems to happen about once per year". Not so much once per year anymore - now as I'm getting older - I'd say maybe Once every 3 or 4 years.

The way our lives happen these days, if your 60 or so, and you've been in your house 10, 15 or more years, I'd agree you have a good chance of remaining there till you die, if you so choose. Bet the farm on it - no, I wouldn't do that. That would be foolish. If you are only say.... 40, I'd say your chances are considerably less, that you will remain there the rest of your life; but not impossible. If you can do it, pat yourself on the back, you are definitely in a small circle of people.

For tax purposes, I had to do my best for calculating how much the house cost me - building it. plus all the repairs and improvements. Based on the receipts I had kept, and estimates from contractors, I came really close to breaking even.

I still have friends that I visit once in a while near the house. It is at least nice to see the next owners taking care of, and enjoying MY house.

Would I buy it back..? ( assume it went on the market and I have the money/mortgage). No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 06:01 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcheapguy View Post
I Thought the exact same thing. Then........ Life happened.
I hired a builder - had the house built to my specs - two walls removed, one wall moved 4 inches, etc. Over the next 15 years, I replaced the basement door, replaced the slider to the deck with a patio door, replaced the deck, put in a front and rear walkway, added a second garage, added a shed, built a retaining wall for the shed location, put in drainage, added the hardwood floors that I could not afford when I built the house, ... & more. Then, I got 'separated' from my job. The property taxes add up quick with no income, as well as electric, and other utilities. Oh, let's not forget food, gasoline, house insurance, car insurance... etc. All these continue even if you do not have a job. Hmmm. I Got a position 250 miles away after 6 months of hard looking. 250 miles is just a bit more than "commuting distance".

The good news... while I HATED selling - not my childhood home, but MY home.... I'm getting used to it now (5 years later). 20 years ago when I had the house built, I could do stairs - now, 20 years later... I still can, but I can see the preverbial writing on the wall - probably no stairs in 20 more years. Oh and my stairs were beautiful (at least to me and one other person that offered $20K more than FMV). Doesn't make going up and down them any more simple when I'm 80.

I used to say "never say never, as never seems to happen about once per year". Not so much once per year anymore - now as I'm getting older - I'd say maybe Once every 3 or 4 years.

The way our lives happen these days, if your 60 or so, and you've been in your house 10, 15 or more years, I'd agree you have a good chance of remaining there till you die, if you so choose. Bet the farm on it - no, I wouldn't do that. That would be foolish. If you are only say.... 40, I'd say your chances are considerably less, that you will remain there the rest of your life; but not impossible. If you can do it, pat yourself on the back, you are definitely in a small circle of people.

For tax purposes, I had to do my best for calculating how much the house cost me - building it. plus all the repairs and improvements. Based on the receipts I had kept, and estimates from contractors, I came really close to breaking even.

I still have friends that I visit once in a while near the house. It is at least nice to see the next owners taking care of, and enjoying MY house.

Would I buy it back..? ( assume it went on the market and I have the money/mortgage). No.
It may be off topic but it certainly would be interesting to tell us why someone calling himself mrcheapguy would pay to move a wall only four inches.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:09 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
if i knocked on your door out of the blue, and told you that you are living in my childhood home and i want to buy it. I'll give you 6 months to find another place to live.

How much (percentage over) the fair market price would you demand? 10%, 50%?
100%.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:37 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
If I won the lottery, this is one thing I would do. Buy the house (it is "zillowed" at $490K) and give it to my sister who has a strong attachment to it. The house was built by my father, brother, and I.

I'd probably be willing to go as far as 50% above market.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:06 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
if you had an abundant amount of cash, and were making it as a gift to someone who valued it beyond everything else, why would you worry about "how much" over your perception of market value?

"Hey sis - I won $100 million in the lottery. I'll buy you our childhood home, but not for $100K more than the "Make me Move" on Zillow!!"

Old 03-28-2017, 07:12 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if you had an abundant amount of cash, and were making it as a gift to someone who valued it beyond everything else, why would you worry about "how much" over your perception of market value?

"Hey sis - I won $100 million in the lottery. I'll buy you our childhood home, but not for $100K more than the "Make me Move" on Zillow!!"
Because even if I had the money, there are still some things that are unreasonable.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:31 PM

162 posts, read 199,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
If I knocked on your door out of the blue, and told you that you are living in my childhood home and I want to buy it. I'll give you 6 months to find another place to live.

How much (percentage over) the fair market price would you demand? 10%, 50%?
I'd give it to you for any amount above what we owe on it and any fees incurred with the sale. Take my house! lol

Old 03-28-2017, 08:14 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Love this thread...just saying....

Old 03-28-2017, 08:27 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Why in the world are some of you posters so hostile towards someone who grew up in your house ?

It's not like they are demanding a tour to show their childhood home to their kids/grandkids.

I'll bet some of you crabby folk are a real pleasure to live next to.
I was thinking the exact same thing

Old 03-29-2017, 12:10 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Built my house, spent 8 years picking the area, + 2 years the specific property in that area.

50% more than FMV wouldn't do it.

Find me a property within the specific area to my specs. A way to make up the lost time for the orchard (buying/having planted larger trees perhaps) and then 100% more....

That would probably do it.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate