Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 08:15 PM

122 posts, read 371,284 times

Advertisements

I own a property in southern California which I rent as a furnished rental during the summer months. The house is currently empty. I had my house listed with a reputable realtor and it was listed on the MLS. We have a signed lease starting in July and the house currently listed as not active.

Today our HOA contacts me to remind me that any real estate signs have to be the 'approved' version and can we please tell our realtor to contact them for the correct signage. Our realtor did not put a sign in front. Low and behold, he swings by our house and there is a sign in front from a major rental agency in the area with a text code for our house. Our realtor called the agent and the agent in turn called me to apologize for the 'mistake by a new agent'. It was no mistake... when I go their website and put in the text code, my house is listed... no pictures, but the full description written by my agent with totally incorrect lease info.. ie says it's unfurnished, lease for 1 year, etc.

My agent recommends I file a police report for trespassing. I'm so mad.. what gives them the right to advertise on my property without my consent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 08:18 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Your agent is spot on.
Nothing will happen, but filing a report will make you feel good.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:19 PM

11,832 posts, read 34,451,143 times
I'd file with the department of real estate.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:41 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,136,825 times
I'd throw the sign in the back of my car and dump it in an anonymous trash dumpster.

Post your sign on my property and you lose it. Lovehound's justice.

My HOA has a policy of prohibiting various advertising signs such as "trash hauling" etc., and when ever I see one of these signs they suffer the same fate. However if they are made of plastic coreboard I take them home and peel off the advertising. They are ideal for garage/yard sales!

Old 06-22-2017, 09:46 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'd throw the sign in the back of my car and dump it in an anonymous trash dumpster.

Post your sign on my property and you lose it. Lovehound's justice.

My HOA has a policy of prohibiting various advertising signs such as "trash hauling" etc., and when ever I see one of these signs they suffer the same fate. However if they are made of plastic coreboard I take them home and peel off the advertising. They are ideal for garage/yard sales!
Two wrongs........ Stealing and destroying someone's sign might get you into trouble, especially in this day and age of video and security cameras everywhere.

Last edited by JanND; 06-22-2017 at 09:58 PM..

Old 06-22-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Two wrongs........ Stealing and destroying someone's sign might get you into trouble, especially in this day and age of video and security cameras everywhere.
So I go to MY PROPERTY and find litter on my lawn and pick it up and throw it into MY TRASH.

Sue me.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:36 AM

122 posts, read 371,284 times
I did file a complaint with the CA Bureau of Real Estate.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:25 AM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times
It makes no sense how a company can list a property that is not theirs on their website in the first place. There really cannot be a mistake. It sounds like some kind of fraud.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:25 AM

Sadly, so much of public misbehavior is below the level of being worth filing a lawsuit over, so people get away with this bad behavior.

My HOA has a bylaw prohibiting any advertising signs, although Realtors' open house signs are routinely ignored. (That's fair.)

But when I see signs advertising services or merchandise for sale I rip the up and trash them. As far as I'm concerned they're litter, and too trivial to complain to the HOA and ask them to have the signs removed. Perhaps I'm doing the wrong thing but it's worked for me so far.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It makes no sense how a company can list a property that is not theirs on their website in the first place. There really cannot be a mistake. It sounds like some kind of fraud.
It could be fraud, particularly the Craig's List rental fraud. There is really no simple way to tell.

As far as the Internet, you can post almost anything you want on the Internet. There isn't any real Internet police authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate