Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 07:18 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky2224 View Post
Houses do tend to sell at the most optimum price here, when listed in April or June.

My reason for waiting a bit longer is that I am an Air BnB host and I average $1,200/month. If I wait, I will reach a goal I have for savings. But, in the grand scheme of things, I don't know if another $1,200 for a couple months is worth the wait if listing earlier means a hotter market. Also, other than some paint touch up, I am pretty much ready to list. My job is virtual and I have no children, so as far as my timing for moving, I'm totally flexible.

My house is a family home, 3 bed, 2.5 baths, fenced in back yard. It will only list around $168,000.
Airbnb is no reason to hold a listing, especially for that small amount of money. List now, people that are relocating are starting to look now as they want to move and get set up in new home long before school starts. You need to be prepared for the hot selling season. You could make up the $2400.00.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 07:38 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
I'm in NW Indiana and it's definitely a sellers market here as well. There is not enough inventory on existing homes, so homes are selling in less than a week! A lot of new construction going on as well.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:43 AM

25 posts, read 23,108 times
This is all really helpful input! rrah and foundapeanut, I especially find your responses helpful.

Thanks, All!!

Old 04-07-2017, 07:49 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
If you hang on to the property a few months you will most likely miss out on the selling boom.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:03 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky2224 View Post
I could list my house next month, but ultimately it would be better for me if I waited until July or August. My question is... My realtor recommends I list as soon as possible due to the seasons and the thought that the most number of buyers are starting to look now. Will it really make a difference between listing asap or waiting until late summer/early fall?

-Thanks in advance from Indiana!
Depends on where you are and what your market is like. It's best to speak to local realtors.

Where I am, you don't put a house on the market in July and definitely not August if you want to sell and move before school starts which is a big deal for most people here. Houses don't sell in the winter here either. But I live where real winter happens.

In many areas, people look to move in between school years so they move over the summer. Depending on when school starts where you live, they may want to be in the house by the end of June or the end of July at the latest. Unpacking takes quite awhile even longer if you have to paint or have new flooring installed.

Personally, I'd list now. Get it over with.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:34 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
In many areas, people look to move in between school years so they move over the summer. Depending on when school starts where you live, they may want to be in the house by the end of June or the end of July at the latest. Unpacking takes quite awhile even longer if you have to paint or have new flooring installed.

Personally, I'd list now. Get it over with.
It's likely that there is a "school summer vacation" effect in most markets, although of course that affects only people who have school age children, and has no effect on singles or married without children.

I too would just put it on the market when it's ready to sell. However that depends on the seller(s) and their plans what to do when the house sells. If it's not their primary residence or they have other plans (buy an RV and tour the country?) then by all means the sooner you list it the sooner you'll get your check!

Old 06-24-2017, 10:31 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
this thread was a question I have had and I appreciate the input from all

I just talked to a realtor (FL) who says I should list now. That my house had been 'gently lived in' and the realtor talked of staging. Realtor had minor suggestions as to what I should do to make the house sellable and said I had kept up with the times and maintenance. (I try) So there was little prep to do. Realtor also mentioned that with fed rate changes and who knows what in the economy you can't tell what is in 6 months but you know what is today. (I took that as a scare tactic -although FL may have a big summer market-, but it is true nonetheless)

I had in mind to wait until January after I have cleared out and packed stuff, hired cleaning and handymen, etc and to list in Feb or Mar. Hoping for a spring sale and may june closing. Meanwhile I would leave and empty clean house and let it be a commodity to sell not my home I lived it. But it is almost beyond my physical ability to do all the clean up and pack stuff and I may have to hire that out anyway. so I do see the realtor's point to get it done.

It is a sellers market here. I am retired and don't have the need to move the house fast due to carrying two mortgages as I did when I was working and transferred. I am simply ready to downsize. House is more than I can care for at this point in life.

Do you all have any recommendations as to list in summer or wait until Feb Mar in a sellers market in FL?

thanks

Old 06-24-2017, 10:58 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,672,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post

I just talked to a realtor (FL) who says I should list now.
In my experience EVERY realtor will tell you to get the house on the market right away--because they want to make sure they get the sale. An agent who is a trusted old friend once advised me to put my house on the market immediately (instead of waiting the six months I wanted to) even though I had relatives who were living with me at the time and the house & garage were full of their stuff. There was no way the place could have been made ready to sell and I would have been completely stressed out. I was kinda disappointed in her, to say the least.

Trust your own judgment OP! Look at the listings in your area and ask the agent for an historic DOM comparison. Then do this on the timetable that makes sense to you.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:23 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
this thread was a question I have had and I appreciate the input from all

It is a sellers market here. I am retired and don't have the need to move the house fast due to carrying two mortgages as I did when I was working and transferred. I am simply ready to downsize. House is more than I can care for at this point in life.

Do you all have any recommendations as to list in summer or wait until Feb Mar in a sellers market in FL?

thanks

So you're sure it's a seller's market? If so, that's one good thing. Next, are you comfortable selling now? Those might be the two important things.

Check your surrounding area if you haven't already. Be sure home are actually getting under contract now, not just going to settlement now (official sale) and people moving in now because they have contracted a couple of months ago in the spring.

Not that you shouldn't still list if you want to...just so you have a clear picture.

In some areas, it's quiet because so many families go on vacation certain times...when school get out to see out of town family and then later to a real vacation spot. Then busy again when practice starts even before school does. And even though buyers come from outside the area...still, residents seem to not list during those times and start back up in the fall.

But check out your area and see when the most homes went under contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate