Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 09:03 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times

Advertisements

I've been perusing Zillow for the last couple of years with the idea of buying after retirement this spring (now). So while I don't have a photographic memory or keeping a spreadsheet or anything I feel like I have a general sense of what the prices have been. And they seem up. Way up.
Not sure I want to mention the bubble word but (especially for Michigan) the prices seem sort of high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 09:39 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,730,778 times
The market here is incredibly hot. Prices will increase more rapidly with a sellers market. It is simple supply and demand. They still haven't reached the pre-recession amounts. When they start to exceed the pre-recession values, I will worry.

My hometown of around 30,000 residents has an average home price of around $115K (as of 2015). I looked it up the other day- there were 19 active listings under $150k. Of the 19, 6 are in very poor shape and aren't eligible for financing. So that leaves your typical family with 13 houses to choose from. And 5 of the 13 are condos.

I just closed on a house a month ago. I wanted to buy in my hometown but the inventory is just too low. I bought in the town next to it instead. The market is tight here, too, but I got lucky.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:51 AM

Thank Jaynarie for your report. Just my luck to be looking now. I will say where I've been concentrating, anywhere within 30 minutes of marquette or TC I think prices are at pre-recession amounts and in TC maybe even higher. TC is of course an exception in MI which is really the only reason I look there. So if I decide to sell I'm pretty sure even after a bubble burst, it will come back. Marquette area and way out of Marquette area is a bit of shock. An unhappy shock.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:35 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
I agree that prices in most areas of Michigan have risen rather dramatically--much more than I'd like to see. Thanks, Obama.

It's certainly a good situation for Sellers but it makes it more difficult for Buyers. Like with most markets, however, it's difficult to pick the very best time to buy so you just have to pick an area where you'd like to live and hope for the best. I don't believe that there are any internal-to-Michigan factors which will cause a significant shift in prices, but there's always the possibility of national or global issues affecting prices. As long as you're in it for the long haul, relax and enjoy your retirement.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:44 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
I agree that prices in most areas of Michigan have risen rather dramatically
--much more than I'd like to see. Thanks, Obama.
Maybe I'm reading that wrong...
but did you thank Bush for tanking the economy that precipitated the price drops too?

Old 04-09-2017, 07:13 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Maybe I'm reading that wrong...
but did you thank Bush for tanking the economy that precipitated the price drops too?
Yeah...sarcasm doesn't come across very clearly in written form. President Obama never got the credit I think he deserved for helping the economy turn around--especially for helping the auto industry, which is major factor in Michigan's economy.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:20 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
It isn't your imagination... I'm in St. Louis and we apparently have one of the fastest selling real estate markets in the U.S at the moment. I'm helping a family member with their house hunting and not only are prices higher than last year, but all of the 'good' houses are selling crazy quick.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:41 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times
Wish i bought house 5 years ago. I knew the economy would turn some day soon but i didn't have the courage to sink my money in real estate then

Old 04-09-2017, 09:19 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,484,217 times
Check out how much real estate has escalated in the Pacific Northwest. Shocker. House across the road on 5 acres with a brick two story house just sold for $1.3 million. Insane.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
I agree that prices in most areas of Michigan have risen rather dramatically--much more than I'd like to see. Thanks, Obama.

It's certainly a good situation for Sellers but it makes it more difficult for Buyers. Like with most markets, however, it's difficult to pick the very best time to buy so you just have to pick an area where you'd like to live and hope for the best. I don't believe that there are any internal-to-Michigan factors which will cause a significant shift in prices, but there's always the possibility of national or global issues affecting prices. As long as you're in it for the long haul, relax and enjoy your retirement.
Yea.......unfortunately I don't want to be in the long haul really. I'd like to be on a 3-5 year plan and be able to move around for adventures sake. Sort of like RV'ing but not. I'd rent but its very hard with cats. Yes before anyone goes out and finds A rental like I have no other requirements, I do, just like anyone I'm not up for renting just any old crap trailer or bad neighborhood. I realize that selling at 5 puts me in a position of losing some money. If it came to what I would have spend on rent - i.e. sort of a break even scenario that would be fine with me. But that just got hard. Like in the past year it got hard. WTH is going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate